The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

I just don't like this pick. Never really did. Would've rather had drafted Severson or Pelech.

It's somewhat surprising too that Gillis didn't draft his nephew in Pelech.

damn looking back now, Severson or Pelech would be good prospects to add to our okay defenseman prospect pool.

I always find GM always tend to steer away from this family bloodlines (like Tambelini, thank god) whenever possible to avoid having any questions or press about choosing family members over potential. Imagine if Gillis chose Pelech and he busted, this market will grill Gillis and Pelech's family to death.....

I thought he got traded to Ottawa for a Notre Dame prospect back at the trade deadline. Did I miss something?

I guess that says something bad about his play and how noticeable he is if you thought he was gone and didn't notice he was still playing? :P

At this point its looking like he'll never be much more than a 4th line energy guy... that's fine if he can play that role well but its definitely disappointing for a 2nd round draft pick. He's still only 21 though - maybe he shows something and breaks out the way Grenier and Archibald did after they initially struggled to make an impact in the AHL.

damn looking back now, Severson or Pelech would be good prospects to add to our okay defenseman prospect pool.

I always find GM always tend to steer away from this family bloodlines (like Tambelini, thank god) whenever possible to avoid having any questions or press about choosing family members over potential. Imagine if Gillis chose Pelech and he busted, this market will grill Gillis and Pelech's family to death.....

Even at the time Severson was the much better pick, hindsight was never needed

I guess that says something bad about his play and how noticeable he is if you thought he was gone and didn't notice he was still playing? :P

At this point its looking like he'll never be much more than a 4th line energy guy... that's fine if he can play that role well but its definitely disappointing for a 2nd round draft pick. He's still only 21 though - maybe he shows something and breaks out the way Grenier and Archibald did after they initially struggled to make an impact in the AHL.

I am surprised they never send Mallet down to the ECHL to play to see if he can get his offensive game back. I remember watching the preseason this year and Mallet definitely have some skills with the puck. Wouldn't it make sense to send him down and try the Bloomstrand or Archibald route?

Yup, WHL player of the week. Sigh.

I am surprised they never send Mallet down to the ECHL to play to see if he can get his offensive game back. I remember watching the preseason this year and Mallet definitely have some skills with the puck. Wouldn't it make sense to send him down and try the Bloomstrand or Archibald route?

They did that in 2012-13.

In 44 ECHL games, he had 10 goals, 19 assists, 29 points (0.66 points/game), +1, and 48 PIM.

Not too bad, actually.

While I'm not a fan of using a 2nd round pick on Mallet (although I tried to be as positive as I could when it happened), I also don't feel like he should be written off as a bust. He's probably never going to be a top-six player (in either the NHL or even the AHL most likely), but he might yet prove to be a valuable bottom-six player (likely 4th line if he makes the NHL) who fights, plays a physical/agitating game, and can even chip-in occasionally on the scoresheet.

Two seasons is not enough time to make a call on whether or not Mallet will ever pan out as a professional player.

I mean, just for argument's sake, let's compare him to Alex Burrows at the same age:

Burrows:

2000-01 (age 19/20): Shawinigan (QMJHL) - 63GP 16G 14A 30Pts (0.48Pts/G) 105PIM +26

2001-02 (age 20/21): Shawinigan (QMJHL) - 64GP 35G 35A 70Pts (1.09Pts/G) 184PIM +27

2002-03 (age 21/22): Greenville (ECHL) - 53GP 9G 17A 26Pts (0.49Pts/G) 201PIM -9

2002-03 (age 21/22): Baton Rouge (ECHL) - 13GP 4G 2A 6Pts (0.46Pts/G) 64PIM -7

2003-04 (age 22/23): Columbia (ECHL) - 64GP 29G 44A 73Pts (1.14Pts/G) 194PIM +25

2003-04 (age 22/23): Manitoba (AHL) - 2GP 0G 0A 0Pts (0.00Pts/G) 0PIM Even

Mallet:

2011-12 (age 19/20): Rimouski (QMJHL) - 68GP 34G 47A 81Pts (1.19Pts/G) 132PIM +23

2012-13 (age 20/21): Kalamazoo (ECHL) - 44GP 10G 19A 29Pts (0.66Pts/G) 48PIM +1

2012-13 (age 20/21): Chicago (AHL) - 18GP 0G 1A 1Pts (0.06Pts/G) 7PIM -4

2013-14 (age 21/22): Utica (AHL) - 54GP 1G 3A 4Pts (0.07Pts/G) 41PIM Even

While Burrows' development and path to the NHL is far from the norm, I do think it can still be a beneficial comparison (and one that suggests Mallet probably deserves a little more time before we close the book on him).

Mallet's offensive production has mostly been ahead of where Burrows was at the same age. Burrows didn't really put-up numbers in the AHL until he was two years older than Mallet is now. And it wasn't until Burrows was three years older than Mallet's current age before he started becoming an impact player at the AHL level.

Let's see where Mallet stands after he's finished his 2014-15 season (the final year on his ELC).

If he can start putting up some modest numbers at the AHL level, I think he's probably worth re-signing. He's been a superior offensive player to where Burrows was at the same age (note the Pts/G comparisons) and Mallet is a hell of a lot tougher and a much stronger fighter.

At this stage, I think we need to just let the "wasted draft pick" stuff go and try to move on. It might be better to think of Mallet as an undrafted signing (just to take the pressure off and temper expectations).

Of course, that 2nd round pick could have been better used, but Mallet is the guy we actually have in the system.

Let's give him a chance.

No scouting needed, Kelowna's Top Defensemen often are pretty good... Keith? Weber? Edler? Souray(old)? that's just some of the guys to come out of Kelowna in the past while.

No scouting needed, Kelowna's Top Defensemen often are pretty good... Keith? Weber? Edler? Souray(old)? that's just some of the guys to come out of Kelowna in the past while.

Yep. Bowey is looking good, and they have Adam Foote's son in the system, should make his debut next season

Severson was the pick at this spot, we could use him in the system about now. I still like Mallet well enough. I just hope next season he comes out hitting and fighting. He's shown flashes of it and he still is rocking people in fights. If torts is still around in the future, I could still see Alex becoming a lot like Roussel in Dallas. Hard to say he'll have the offense but a feisty middleweight who can bring energy. Of course, he has a lot of developing to do to get to that point.

They did that in 2012-13.

In 44 ECHL games, he had 10 goals, 19 assists, 29 points (0.66 points/game), +1, and 48 PIM.

Not too bad, actually.

While I'm not a fan of using a 2nd round pick on Mallet (although I tried to be as positive as I could when it happened), I also don't feel like he should be written off as a bust. He's probably never going to be a top-six player (in either the NHL or even the AHL most likely), but he might yet prove to be a valuable bottom-six player (likely 4th line if he makes the NHL) who fights, plays a physical/agitating game, and can even chip-in occasionally on the scoresheet.

Two seasons is not enough time to make a call on whether or not Mallet will ever pan out as a professional player.

I mean, just for argument's sake, let's compare him to Alex Burrows at the same age:

Burrows:

2000-01 (age 19/20): Shawinigan (QMJHL) - 63GP 16G 14A 30Pts (0.48Pts/G) 105PIM +26

2001-02 (age 20/21): Shawinigan (QMJHL) - 64GP 35G 35A 70Pts (1.09Pts/G) 184PIM +27

2002-03 (age 21/22): Greenville (ECHL) - 53GP 9G 17A 26Pts (0.49Pts/G) 201PIM -9

2002-03 (age 21/22): Baton Rouge (ECHL) - 13GP 4G 2A 6Pts (0.46Pts/G) 64PIM -7

2003-04 (age 22/23): Columbia (ECHL) - 64GP 29G 44A 73Pts (1.14Pts/G) 194PIM +25

2003-04 (age 22/23): Manitoba (AHL) - 2GP 0G 0A 0Pts (0.00Pts/G) 0PIM Even

Mallet:

2011-12 (age 19/20): Rimouski (QMJHL) - 68GP 34G 47A 81Pts (1.19Pts/G) 132PIM +23

2012-13 (age 20/21): Kalamazoo (ECHL) - 44GP 10G 19A 29Pts (0.66Pts/G) 48PIM +1

2012-13 (age 20/21): Chicago (AHL) - 18GP 0G 1A 1Pts (0.06Pts/G) 7PIM -4

2013-14 (age 21/22): Utica (AHL) - 54GP 1G 3A 4Pts (0.07Pts/G) 41PIM Even

While Burrows' development and path to the NHL is far from the norm, I do think it can still be a beneficial comparison (and one that suggests Mallet probably deserves a little more time before we close the book on him).

Mallet's offensive production has mostly been ahead of where Burrows was at the same age. Burrows didn't really put-up numbers in the AHL until he was two years older than Mallet is now. And it wasn't until Burrows was three years older than Mallet's current age before he started becoming an impact player at the AHL level.

Let's see where Mallet stands after he's finished his 2014-15 season (the final year on his ELC).

If he can start putting up some modest numbers at the AHL level, I think he's probably worth re-signing. He's been a superior offensive player to where Burrows was at the same age (note the Pts/G comparisons) and Mallet is a hell of a lot tougher and a much stronger fighter.

At this stage, I think we need to just let the "wasted draft pick" stuff go and try to move on. It might be better to think of Mallet as an undrafted signing (just to take the pressure off and temper expectations).

Of course, that 2nd round pick could have been better used, but Mallet is the guy we actually have in the system.

Let's give him a chance.

Outstanding post, dude! Good job on the burrows research and such. Fair to both sides of the argument and most importantly fair to mallet.

I doubt he'll ever reach burrows status but he still has more than enough time to develop into a beauty bottom six guy that hits, fights and chips in. If he can become a brad Richardson type player in the long run then all in all it was still a good 2nd round pick. Most second rounders don't even make a significant impact in the nhl.

I too hope we can hang onto him. He's got the tools to become a late bloomer.

Doesn't matter where the player is picked, that doesn't determine their future, it's what they do to make the NHL is what's important. Drafted 1st, 2nd, 3rd whatever, that is all horse crap and who cares.

i totally agree but using a 1st, 2nd, even 3rd round pick puts a higher "price tag" on those players.

I still think he can be a solid 4th liner for us

So do I, a Max Lappierre type player is what I saw him as before, and I still do now. Which is a useful player to have as we all saw with Lappy.

i totally agree but using a 1st, 2nd, even 3rd round pick puts a higher "price tag" on those players.

Yup, I still think he has upside. Its just a questionable pick due to where he was chosen, I don't really have an issue with anything he's done, no one was expecting him to light the world on fire.

• 3 months later...

Start him out on the 4th line this year, time to get him some experience in the NHL. He has decent hands, speed and can fight.

Dorsett can teach him the trade.

Yeah, those 5 AHL career points really scream NHL ready. I'm not 100% counting him out from being a depth NHL F, but there's no goddamn way he's making the NHL this year. I'd rather have Sestito, and that's saying a lot.

Archived