The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

The Canucks have usually tried to find these kind of guys with later round picks like Alex Friesen, or as undrafted free agents like Volpatti and Stefan Schneider.

The last time our scouts recommended a 2nd rounder who was projected as a gritty, defensive player it was Taylor Ellington. He didn't pan out as expected.

Here's hoping Mallet fairs better.

For those spurned by this pick and those who understand it as well, I have put together an offense only highlight package (because there isnt defensive footage out there and if you want fights, you know where to get them.)

I'll be adding annotations tomorrow so its easier to follow him around.

I do not care if he was 20 and playing against younger players the kid can finish plays by being in the right spot and having a quick shot. He looks to have the instinct of being in the right scoring spot at the right time.

We should not be putting the kid down, the hell is wrong with half you?

The look on his face when he was drafted early definitely ignited something within him. If the Canucks scout saw something within Mallet that he didn't see, Mallet's definitely gonna use this as motivation to become a better player. The best part is he's already developed nicely and he can definitely step up into the AHL.

We should not be putting the kid down, the hell is wrong with half you?

The look on his face when he was drafted early definitely ignited something within him. If the Canucks scout saw something within Mallet that he didn't see, Mallet's definitely gonna use this as motivation to become a better player. The best part is he's already developed nicely and he can definitely step up into the AHL.

Yeah, he was getting choked up in his interview and you could see that he is proud to be a Canuck and will be devoted to working his butt off to get better and make the team at some point in the near future.

30% of second rounders make the NHL, and I think Mallet has a good chance.

Difference between Mallet and Rodin is that Mallet has a high chance of being a Lapierre calibre player. With Rodin, he might fall in the "not physical enough for the bottom 6, not offensive enough for the top 6" mould and never make the nhl (along with Schroeder and Sweatt).

The Lapierres, Ruutus, Tootoos and Cookes play an important role. I think Mallet will be a Canuck for a long time. 10 goal, 10 assists, 10 fights, 100 hits, 100 pim sort of guy.

The Canucks rarely breed bottom 6 guys. Outside of Hansen (who is brimming on second line material and is still fairly small & skilled) our team is primarily homegrown in the top 6 (Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Raymond) and free agents/traded players in the bottom 6/ginder roles (Hansen). Mike Brown is one of the few NHL regulars in the bottom 6 we have drafted in recent years.

FTFY, and as for Rodin, he could play on the 3rd line one day if he doesn't score enough to be a 'Top 6' guy. He's not that physical but isn't afraid to go into the hard areas. Reminds me of Kris Versteeg on CHI's 3rd line - both were speedy and skilled, had good shots and could PK but weren't bruisers.

I hope they sign Mallet, I was unsure about the draft choice initially as well because I was really hoping for Damon Severson from Kelowna. Even though we picked him early he would have gone in the 3rd round and we did not have a third or 4th this year so we would have for sure missed out on him. If our scouts believe in him so much that he was selected in the 2nd he can't be a bad player. I think most of us are confused about the draft this year but the more I read about what MG was thinking and read up more about the players I am really excited, it's a step in the right direction if you are selecting 20-30th overall every year.

Put him with Rousell in the AHL next year, would be fun to watch them play together.

I believe that we picked him because we had no 3rd or 4th round pick and the management didn't see any player that completely stood out. Mallet played well last season and he is experienced compared to any "prospect" in that draft I'd say. We will just have to see if it pans out. I'm guessing he could step up and fill in our 4th line winger spot if he has a great training camp!

Well, Welcome to the Team Alexandre!

Mallet was born on May 22, 1992. So let's look at some highly touted picks, who are forwards, of the 2010 draft class (this is the 1992 birthdays draft year and the 1st year that Mallet was eligible to be drafted) and see where they are at with there development.

Okay so the first 8 are all currently in the NHL, so we'll skip them. 9 is Mikael Granlund so I'll skip him too. 10-16 I'll skip as well.

Okay so let's compare Mallet to the #18 pick - Austin Watson. Watson was drafted by Nashville after he had 20 pts in 10 games for the Peterborough Petes. So how did he fair in his most recent season in the CHL? In 29 games he had 11 goals and 24 assists for 35 points. And in the playoffs he had only 17 points in 19 games. Compare those stats to Mallet. Who would you rather have?

Okay now let's compare him to highly touted Charlie Coyle, who was drafted 28th by San Jose but is now Minnesota property. Coyle had, in 23 games, 15 goals and 23 assists for 38 points for the Saint John Sea Dogs. Not bad at all, but he only had 8 penalty minutes. In the playoffs he really ramped it up for 34 points in 17 playoff games but once again he only had 8 penalty minutes. Coyle is obviously better than Mallet, but is he really that much better? Remember that Coyle is projected top 6 in the NHL one day.

Oh this should be fun. Let's compare him to Quinton Howden. All of you guys know who he is and how we could have drafted him if it wasn't for the Keith Ballard trade. Howden is actually older than Mallet by a few months. Howden played for Moose Jaw this year and racked up 65 points in 52 games. Howden also finished the year with a whopping 16 penalty minutes. When the playoffs came around Howden's production actually went down. In 14 games he got 15 points and 6 penalty minutes. Compare his stats to Mallet's. Who would you honestly rather have in our system?

Let's look at the #39 overall pick in Brett Bulmer. I personally know this kid and I can honestly say he is a dick. But that's not why we're here. He played 9 games for Minnesota this year before being sent back down to junior. In those 9 games with the Wild he got 3 points. He was also one of the final cuts for Team Canada this year at the world juniors. When he went back to junior he played for the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL. He amassed 62 points in 53 games with 93 penalty minutes. In the playoffs he got 5 points in 3 games and 17 penalty minutes. So this is a kid who has played in the NHL and is older than Mallet but his numbers in the CHL aren't as impressive.

I could find more examples but I really am sick of typing.

So my point is this; Just because Mallet is older doesn't mean he isn't going to be successful. When you compare his stats to touted prospects the same age, Mallet actually has equally good or even better statistics.

This kid has amazing potential and I am just absolutely jacked that MG drafted him.

I am seriously looking forward to seeing an Archibald-Friesen-Mallet line under coach Arniel. That could actually, for once, really end up being our 4th line in a couple years. Gritty, energetic & capable of potting 10g 10a 20pts each. When was the last time we had a 4th line that could do all of that?

From what I read AHL eligibility, as well as "professional hockey readiness", was a determining factor in selecting Mallet so early. Gillis is starting to come under the gun for not having any draft picks in the NHL and if Mallet can make the jump in the next year or so that will help alleviate some of that pressure since it's easier for the Canucks to squeeze n 3rd/4th liners into the lineup that top-six forwards at this stage.

We all know Jensen looks like a lock to be a top-six but if that doesn't happen for a year or two, and Rodin/Schroeder bust (God forbid/knock on wood/whatever phrase you prefer), then the pressure will only mount if there are no Friesens/Mallets lacing them up on our 4th line to deflect attention.

For those spurned by this pick and those who understand it as well, I have put together an offense only highlight package (because there isnt defensive footage out there and if you want fights, you know where to get them.)

I'll be adding annotations tomorrow so its easier to follow him around.

Thanks for putting that together DJK. His style reminded me of a grittier Alex Semin. Not saying he'll be that good, but shooting, puck-handling, and skating technique are similar.

Mallet was born on May 22, 1992. So let's look at some highly touted picks, who are forwards, of the 2010 draft class (this is the 1992 birthdays draft year and the 1st year that Mallet was eligible to be drafted) and see where they are at with there development.

Okay so the first 8 are all currently in the NHL, so we'll skip them. 9 is Mikael Granlund so I'll skip him too. 10-16 I'll skip as well.

Okay so let's compare Mallet to the #18 pick - Austin Watson. Watson was drafted by Nashville after he had 20 pts in 10 games for the Peterborough Petes. So how did he fair in his most recent season in the CHL? In 29 games he had 11 goals and 24 assists for 35 points. And in the playoffs he had only 17 points in 19 games. Compare those stats to Mallet. Who would you rather have?

Okay now let's compare him to highly touted Charlie Coyle, who was drafted 28th by San Jose but is now Minnesota property. Coyle had, in 23 games, 15 goals and 23 assists for 38 points for the Saint John Sea Dogs. Not bad at all, but he only had 8 penalty minutes. In the playoffs he really ramped it up for 34 points in 17 playoff games but once again he only had 8 penalty minutes. Coyle is obviously better than Mallet, but is he really that much better? Remember that Coyle is projected top 6 in the NHL one day.

Oh this should be fun. Let's compare him to Quinton Howden. All of you guys know who he is and how we could have drafted him if it wasn't for the Keith Ballard trade. Howden is actually older than Mallet by a few months. Howden played for Moose Jaw this year and racked up 65 points in 52 games. Howden also finished the year with a whopping 16 penalty minutes. When the playoffs came around Howden's production actually went down. In 14 games he got 15 points and 6 penalty minutes. Compare his stats to Mallet's. Who would you honestly rather have in our system?

Let's look at the #39 overall pick in Brett Bulmer. I personally know this kid and I can honestly say he is a dick. But that's not why we're here. He played 9 games for Minnesota this year before being sent back down to junior. In those 9 games with the Wild he got 3 points. He was also one of the final cuts for Team Canada this year at the world juniors. When he went back to junior he played for the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL. He amassed 62 points in 53 games with 93 penalty minutes. In the playoffs he got 5 points in 3 games and 17 penalty minutes. So this is a kid who has played in the NHL and is older than Mallet but his numbers in the CHL aren't as impressive.

I could find more examples but I really am sick of typing.

So my point is this; Just because Mallet is older doesn't mean he isn't going to be successful. When you compare his stats to touted prospects the same age, Mallet actually has equally good or even better statistics.

This kid has amazing potential and I am just absolutely jacked that MG drafted him.

Petr Straka (QMJHL) 55th Overall - 37 pts 54 games, 41 PIM -9

Phil Lane (OHL) 52nd Overall - 45 pts in 65 games, 101 PIM

Christian Thomas (OHL) 40th Overall - 71 pts in 61 games, 12 PIM

It is hard to compare with players in College or Europe, but offensively I am guessing Mallet probably falls around average offensively, plus he brings the grit factor.

Lets look at how current NHL players did in the Q at 20 or their final year before AHL

Burrows - 70 pts in 64 games, 184 PIM +27

Lapierre - 52 points in 69 games, 139 PIM -10

Steve Bernier - 71 points in 68 games, 114 PIM

PA Parenteau - 48 points in 28 games, 84 PIM

Antoine Vermette - 28 points in 26 games

David Desharnais - 108 points in 61 games

Guillaume Desbiens - 43 points in 56 games, 206 PIM

Michael Ryder - 108 points in 63 games, 50 PIM

Maxime Maceanaeur - 30 points in 40 games, 38 PIM

Mathieau Perrault - 114 points in 65 games, 61 PIM

Mallet is a step below most of the top 6 guys but a step above the fringe NHL guys in terms of offensive capability. If he was a 180lb finesse player he wouldn't make the NHL with his skill, but given his grit I think he has a high chance of becoming a 4th liner with some 3rd line upside.

Thanks for putting that together DJK. His style reminded me of a grittier Alex Semin. Not saying he'll be that good, but shooting, puck-handling, and skating technique are similar.

Maybe like Alex Semin and Gino Odjick's love child. He's millions times gritter than straight up Semin though :P

Archived