The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

he will never wear a nucks jersey

Why?.... U mad we didn't pick a Raymond/Rodin boom or bust guy this year?.. These are the kind of guys u need to draft and develop because the ones that pan out almost never become availible without a massive overpayment.

I'm not saying he's a lock to make the team but even if we get a brandon prust out of him we still get a 2nd round draft win.. Most 2nd liners don't make the NHL, he's at least got grit plus skill for a bottom six role

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato

One observation from Canucks development camp, 2nd rounder Alexandre Mallet looks good out there. Strong on the puck and drives the net hard

Nice to hear. Seems like a real humble guy from that interview, just happy to have any team take him. Not like some other guy who's been in the headlines lately... ;)

Why?.... U mad we didn't pick a Raymond/Rodin boom or bust guy this year?.. These are the kind of guys u need to draft and develop because the ones that pan out almost never become availible without a massive overpayment.

I'm not saying he's a lock to make the team but even if we get a brandon prust out of him we still get a 2nd round draft win.. Most 2nd liners don't make the NHL, he's at least got grit plus skill for a bottom six role

Source?

Pls explain to me how Rodin is a boom or bust? He has the offensive tools to e a top 6 guy an the defensive tools to be a third liner. Raymond also. He produced as a 2nd liner but also solid defensively as a third liner.

Boom or bust guys are guys that make the nhl and are effective as an NHLer (Boom) or guys that fail to play in the NHL more than a season or two (Bust).

Which neither player are.

Perhaps Raymond doesnt produce offensively enough for you (and on this team) but you cant argue his effectiveness as a checker, other NHL teams would love to have Raymond ad a third line check given the rest of their line is bigger/gritter.

Does anyone think Mallet can pull a Shaw and go straight from being a mid-round, overage draft pick to becoming a role player on an NHL team? He has some scoring upside and enough jam for a bottom-six role.

you never know. He seem like a really smart kid even though I don't know what he is trying to say lol. His stats he had last year are close to what Brad Marchand had at the same age in the same junior league.

Pls explain to me how Rodin is a boom or bust? He has the offensive tools to e a top 6 guy an the defensive tools to be a third liner. Raymond also. He produced as a 2nd liner but also solid defensively as a third liner.

Boom or bust guys are guys that make the nhl and are effective as an NHLer (Boom) or guys that fail to play in the NHL more than a season or two (Bust).

Which neither player are.

Perhaps Raymond doesnt produce offensively enough for you (and on this team) but you cant argue his effectiveness as a checker, other NHL teams would love to have Raymond ad a third line check given the rest of their line is bigger/gritter.

Boom.

I hate this pick. Sounds like nobody expected him to go until the 4th round, if they wanted him so bad, trade the second for an early third and a fourth, then trade the third for a late third and late fourth, and you get the guy you wanted plus two free prospects. Lookin' like Jay Feaster up there!

I hate this pick. Sounds like nobody expected him to go until the 4th round, if they wanted him so bad, trade the second for an early third and a fourth, then trade the third for a late third and late fourth, and you get the guy you wanted plus two free prospects. Lookin' like Jay Feaster up there!

Assuming other gms want to make your trades of course.

Assuming Mallet is still there.

Assumptions are easy.

The truth is, your assumptions all start with an ass. In this case, it's you.

You have no idea what this guy will do.

Labate...now that's a laugh

And Rodin will be lucky to make the NHL

I wouldn't give up on Rodin, he's a great skater with a ton of offensive upside. He had a tough year, but he battles some shoulder problems and had to adjust to playing in NA. He also played bottom 6 minutes most of the year.

I wasn't expecting him to be further along than he is anyways, should make good strides this uncoming year.

And Labate is a real likable player, great size, great speed, wicked shot. He isn't a physical player dispite his size. He's an offensive player. He picked up 20 points in 37 games and was a +3 for the university of Wisconsin, that is a huge step up from playing high school hockey and he was pretty good. We should see more this upcoming year, seems like a good prospect.

We should see more from both this upcoming season, there's no reason to give up on either yet. Both seem promising and intriguing.

Okay now let's compare him to highly touted Charlie Coyle, who was drafted 28th by San Jose but is now Minnesota property. Coyle had, in 23 games, 15 goals and 23 assists for 38 points for the Saint John Sea Dogs. Not bad at all, but he only had 8 penalty minutes. In the playoffs he really ramped it up for 34 points in 17 playoff games but once again he only had 8 penalty minutes. Coyle is obviously better than Mallet, but is he really that much better? Remember that Coyle is projected top 6 in the NHL one day.

For the life of me I will never understand how some people cannot understand that penalty minutes are not a postive attribute. It means you sit in the box for 2 minutes and your team has to kill off a powerplay. :picard:

American staticians: Goals, Assists, PIM's. :sadno:

The ideal situation would be to have Mallet develop properly and fill Malhotra's shoes when the time comes.

I really like Labate. He's first year at Wisconsin (where Schultz, Gardiner, Smith all came out of recently) was pretty impressive. I think 1-2 years at Wisconsin, 1 year at AHL, and this guy has a legitimate shot at making the team.

Rodin - could be a bust, but also could be a replacement for top 6 winger. He certainly has the skill and speed. Matter of sizing up, and adjusting to N.A. properly. Next year will be a crucial year for him.

Jensen and Gaunce I think are safe bets to make the team in 1-3 years.

Corrado has good potential as well.

Cannata is actually closely following Schneider's development trajectory.

Not impressive as Minnesota or Florida, but we seem to have a solid young guns that are developing nicely.

Not getting the lack of love for this guy. Given that 99% of us have not seen him play his bio is all we have to go on, and I’m not seeing anything not to like. Has decent to good size, is a willing pugilist, and scored 1.2 PPG. Then there is that mischievous twinkle in his eye during interviews, a la Burrows, which, I hope, hints that he’s a pain to play against.

I suspect that most 2nd rounders don’t make the NHL; I’m certain that most guys taken at around 57 do not. Canucks doubtless know this – probably have the exact percentage for players that successfully make the show for every quartile of every draft round. Overage players selected have a statistically significant edge over 18 years olds in terms of odds of turning pro and the advantage increases with each subsequent round.

For example, say Jansen changes his mind about Sweden (if he doesn’t make the big club) and opts for a 3rd year in the OHL where he puts up 81 points. A reasonable to optimistic statistical projection based what he did from year one to two. Most, though not overjoyed, would be content with that output and hope that he would be as ready as could be for the next level, be it NHL or AHL. Guess what? We just got this guy, his name is Mallet, and we didn’t even need to keep tabs on him for the last two years.

Given his placement the odds are against him but it looks as if the Canucks did what they could to give themselves a few % points of having this 57turn out. Projects as a bottom 6 so there are fewer expectations. He can even have a couple of statistically brutal seasons with the Wolves and it wouldn’t mean much since he, of all players, knows that a drastic improvement is still possible and can rely on the experience of doing it, whereas others could be more discouraged.

May even be a safer bet than Schroeder or Rodin, a pair of classic top 6 or nothing players, who once upon a time would have gotten a better deal but not so much now as size has become the new mantra with the Nuck brass.

Also, there is no point in talking about MG waiting till the next round to make this particular selection. When its your turn and the guy is the highest ranked on your draft board the pick has to be made, especially if you have reason to believe others are interested and moving down is not an option. You either believe in your scouts or you don't.

Source?

I originally said that based on common sense but here u go http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/f/draft_success.htm

Just a quick google on my phone but they say a quarter of them. They're basing it off the 90s, if its drastically improved to over 50 percent by now I guess I'm clueless and know nothing about hockey..

What I think i see is the grit to handle any NHL role and the potential to be a Steve Ott type player someday if he fully pans out. Then again I've never watched him play just like the 100s of armchair GMs saying he's a complete bust before training camp even starts.

What I know for a fact is our professional scouts have watched him play enough times to see enough potential that they don't wanna miss him after the second round. We all think it's a dumb risky move so I'm sure they really REALLY liked what the saw. They pulled tanev out of nowhere and he's got top 4 potential. I've got no problem putting my faith in they're mallett pick.

Archived