The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

I originally said that based on common sense but here u go http://proicehockey....aft_success.htm

Just a quick google on my phone but they say a quarter of them. They're basing it off the 90s, if its drastically improved to over 50 percent by now I guess I'm clueless and know nothing about hockey..

What I think i see is the grit to handle any NHL role and the potential to be a Steve Ott type player someday if he fully pans out. Then again I've never watched him play just like the 100s of armchair GMs saying he's a complete bust before training camp even starts.

What I know for a fact is our professional scouts have watched him play enough times to see enough potential that they don't wanna miss him after the second round. We all think it's a dumb risky move so I'm sure they really REALLY liked what the saw. They pulled tanev out of nowhere and he's got top 4 potential. I've got no problem putting my faith in they're mallett pick.

Good post. Remember folks, we're not the experts here. Most of us are educated hockey fans so we're entitled to make educated guesses, but let's not make absolute judgment calls. Luckily, Mallet is an overager so we won't have to wait too long to see what he can do in the pros. He'll likely compete for a spot on the Wolves THIS year. Let's wait and see what he's got.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've heard, he's a similar player to Burrows.

If so we have four levels of hardworking frenchies on our team.

Burrows>Lapierre>Mallett>Roussel

We don't have Roussel.

He was NEVER Canucks property... and has now signed with Dallas.

I originally said that based on common sense but here u go http://proicehockey....aft_success.htm

Just a quick google on my phone but they say a quarter of them. They're basing it off the 90s, if its drastically improved to over 50 percent by now I guess I'm clueless and know nothing about hockey..

What I think i see is the grit to handle any NHL role and the potential to be a Steve Ott type player someday if he fully pans out. Then again I've never watched him play just like the 100s of armchair GMs saying he's a complete bust before training camp even starts.

What I know for a fact is our professional scouts have watched him play enough times to see enough potential that they don't wanna miss him after the second round. We all think it's a dumb risky move so I'm sure they really REALLY liked what the saw. They pulled tanev out of nowhere and he's got top 4 potential. I've got no problem putting my faith in they're mallett pick.

hahah, ohhhh boy. You must know nothing about hockey....

Just a quick google on my phone here, mixed with my common sense, tells me that most 2nd liners DO IN FACT make the NHL, hence, why we call them 2nd liners. But, you know a lot about hockey, so, I'm gonna have to agree with you, I don't think 2nd liner's will make the NHL either, they have nothing on 3rd and 4th liner's.

Yeah... I know, you meant 2nd rounders, and when I said source, I must have been serious.

I'm joking man... but you posted that 2nd liner's don't make the NHL, don't get all puffy with me about common sense. I even made that quote in BOLD and you still didn't pick it up.

Moving on,

I'm pretty happy with this pick, and interested to see where he's going to end up next year. 106 points in 89 games last year as an overager is pretty good, a lot better then Grenier.

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed forward Alexandre Mallet. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Mallet, 20, recorded 81 points (34-47-81) and added 132 penalty minutes in 68 games with the QMJHL Rimouski Oceanic in the 2011.12 season. He led the Oceanic in goals scored and penalty minutes. In three seasons with the Oceanic, Mallet has registered 110 points (49-61-110) and collected 272 penalty minutes in 154 games played.

In the 2012 QMJHL playoffs, he registered 25 points (10-15-25) in 21 games to help the seventh seeded Oceanic to the President Cup Final.

The Amqui, QC, native was originally selected in the second round, 57th overall by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

Based on last years performance using equivalency rankings Mallet ranked 51st in offense among forwards who were either draft eligible or drafted during the 2010 draft. To put this into perspective, let's say we drafted Mallet 57th in 2010. Based on this position, 17 forwards drafted after 57th performed better and 25 forwards drafted before 57th performed better. By the 57th pick there was 39 forwards selected. So based on this, Mallet would have been an acceptable pick at 35th overall and at 62 overall he would been the best forward available if the draft was done in hindsight NOT including draft eligible players who were piked in following years. Factor in his truculence and in the end Mallet is looking like a pretty good pick.

***If there were a redraft of the forwards picked in the first and second round of 2010 (defense and goalies stayed as is) and Mallet was added in, based on the equivalency stats he would have gone 39th overall ***

http://nhlnumbers.co...nhle-2010-draft

I hate this pick. Sounds like nobody expected him to go until the 4th round, if they wanted him so bad, trade the second for an early third and a fourth, then trade the third for a late third and late fourth, and you get the guy you wanted plus two free prospects. Lookin' like Jay Feaster up there!

For the record I don't have a problem with them taking Mallet, I have a problem with using the second rounder to take him.

Listen carefully to this entire clip, especially the question asked @ the :35 second mark and the answer Gillis where it's pretty clear Gillis knew some other organization was about to draft him. Next, listen to Gillis talk about trading down for extra picks @ the 2:09 mark.

4th line for 6 minutes a night only. A lot of things would have to go right for Mallet (and wrong for the team) for him to play in the big leagues next season. He will be fighting with Weise, Pinnizotto, Ebbett, Volpatti, Desbiens + training camp tryouts and other young hopefuls (Rodin, Sweatt, Schroeder, Jensen etc.) for 2-3 open spots. Maybe later in the year he will get a game but definitely not out of camp.

A lot has happened to Alexandre Mallet over the last six weeks.

The 20-year-old was selected in the second round of the NHL Entry Draft by the Canucks, he then traveled to Vancouver and participated in Prospects Development Camp, and last week he signed an NHL contract with the Canucks.

The rugged 6-foot-1, 195-pound forward is coming off a very impressive season with the Rimouski Oceanic, helping the team make it all the way to the QMJHL Final. During the season Mallet produced 81 points (34-47-81) in 68 games, to go along with 132 penalty minutes, and followed that up with another 26 points (11-15-26) in the post-season. It was a breakout season for Mallet, who only mustered 39 points in his previous 135 games, spanning two-and-a-half seasons in the QMJHL.

CANUCKS EXTRAS

Aug912_mallet2_rr.jpg

More prospects features

Joe Can-nat-a

10, featuring Matt Beattie

No bull

Size, skill & smarts

Philippe Boucher, general manager of the Oceanic and former Stanley Cup winning defenceman with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2009, said a change of position contributed to Mallet’s remarkable season.

“Alex’s profile is more of a winger, I even thought that when I saw him in camp,” said Boucher. “He can be a good skating, power forward as a winger, but once Serge Beausoleil (Oceanic Head Coach) put him at centre, he became a whole different player.”

Although his point total changed after moving back to centre last season, one thing that didn’t was Mallet’s toughness. These days it’s rare for players to have that combination of skill and toughness, something Boucher said will make Mallet a very good pro hockey player.

“Besides being an excellent skater, he can be a very physical guy and I think he will learn to grow into that even more,” he said. “I think being in the pros will help him grow into that part of the game, just being around the older guys that can guide him. He can finish his hits, he can be intimidating physically, and he was very tough in our league last year, probably one of the toughest guys.

“I am not saying that will be the one thing that will make him a good pro player, but it’s never a bad thing when you can combine skills and toughness.”

Aug912_mallet2_long.jpg

Like most players that put up as many points as Mallet did last year, there is bound to be a few multi-goal nights throughout the course of the season. None were as big as the evening he had on March 16th against Chicoutimi when Mallet found the back of the net a staggering five times, something that even former Oceanic forward Sidney Crosby failed to do during his tenure in Rimouski.

“You know what? He could have scored nine goals that game, it was incredible, and I have never seen anything like it,” said Boucher. “

Alex came across the blue line at full speed and the puck bounced weird along the wall and he did the same kind of thing without breaking his stride, stick behind his back, brought it back in front, came in on the goalie and hit the crossbar. I have never seen that and I swear he could have had nine goals that night. ”

Mallet’s gritty style, combined with his high-end skill, has a lot of scouts comparing his game to the likes of current NHL players Tomas Holmstrom and Vancouver’s own Alex Burrows, something Boucher agreed with.

“I think Burrows is a pretty good comparison,” said Boucher. “He was a late bloomer and I am not sure to many people saw that coming when he played junior, same thing can be said with Mallet. Like Mallet, Burrows is one of those guys that isn’t afraid of anything, I played against him for a few years when he was younger and we all hated playing against him, but we could tell he was a good player, but I am not sure to many guys thought he would be a first-line dominant player like he is now. ”

Mallet had 27 fighting majors the last three seasons, but at the NHL level knowing when the right time to drop your gloves is important. That's something Boucher said Mallet can improve on and learn from the older guys at the pro level.

“It’s not like the old days where your coach taps you on the shoulder. Alex is not afraid whatsoever to defend a teammate, but there is a time and place. I played with some of the best – Ian Laperriere was unbelievable – if Alex could play with someone like Laperriere at some point in his career to help him through the things like when to do it and how to do it, it would be a big asset to him, and he is one tough customer that is for sure.”

Now that the Canucks have their 57th overall pick signed to a contract, they must decide where the ideal place for him will be to continue his development next season. He still has another season of junior eligibility left – his overage season – but is also eligible to play for the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Chicago Wolves. As much as Boucher would love to see him back in Rimouski for one more season, he thinks Mallet is ready to take the next step and start his pro career.

“Sad to say, but yes, I think he is ready, his skating is there, his physical ability is there, and he trains hard. There are a few things that he improved on playing for coach Beausoleil, that if he came back to junior he could still improve on, but I think he is capable of playing in the AHL.”

Off the ice, Boucher described Mallet as a quiet young man that hasn’t let the new fame affect who he is.

Aug912_mallet3_rr.jpg

“He is a pretty quiet guy honestly; everybody loved him on the team. Just loves to play the game, great kid, he is from around the area here in Rimouski and for probably the first time there was some attention around him this season with the possibility of being drafted and that didn’t change him one bit.

“I saw him at the draft and had dinner with him and he was the same kid as before. He just loves the game and is a good person, it’s always a good story when you can point to a guy like him and say ‘hey look, it’s never over, don’t quit, keep working hard and good things can happen’.”

Mallet was impressive at Prospects Development Camp in early July, showing his willingness to drive the net hard and go to the dirty areas on the ice. If he can show more of the same during main camp in September, the decision will be easy for the Canucks and Mallet will be AHL bound.

Article on him on the main page.

Still can't get over this terrible pick, people here try to say "he may not have been available in the later rounds", well guess what , players like Athanasiou, Pelech, Marcantuoni, Hudon, Shore, Severson, Maidens, Bozon, Kosmachuk, Zharkov, Stephenson, Sundqvist, Rissling, Whitney, Gusev, Curcuruto, slepyshev, Bourke, and hell even ebert was the last player taken this year and id rather have him. Worst nucks draft pick iv seen in the new NHL. And that includes Pat White. And lol at peeps saying he's a "stud or gem" for a second rounder. We took Hutton 147 overall and that still would have been to high for this guy who was passed over in two drafts. ffs

Still can't get over this terrible pick, people here try to say "he may not have been available in the later rounds", well guess what , players like Athanasiou, Pelech, Marcantuoni, Hudon, Shore, Severson, Maidens, Bozon, Kosmachuk, Zharkov, Stephenson, Sundqvist, Rissling, Whitney, Gusev, Curcuruto, slepyshev, Bourke, and hell even ebert was the last player taken this year and id rather have him. Worst nucks draft pick iv seen in the new NHL. And that includes Pat White. And lol at peeps saying he's a "stud or gem" for a second rounder. We took Hutton 147 overall and that still would have been to high for this guy who was passed over in two drafts. ffs

Sounds like you're totally enthused about this pick.

Mallet doesn't like you either.

Archived