The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

That would be so sick if both mallett and kassian overachieved and we ended up with 2 of the toughest guys in the league in our top 6 haha. It's a long shot but that would be so awesome lol

We could potentially have our Heavy weight(Kassian), and our middle weight(Mallet) of the future. The best part is that the both have skill and skate well too. :)

Mallet could become a heavy weight too (or at least, light heavyweight). I think he has similar size as Lapierre but not as filled out since Lapierre tips 220+ lbs now. If Mallet bulks up like Lappy he could take on 95% of players in this league right now I bet.

I must be alone in thinking young Mallet should tone down the fighting at such a young age. I don't want to see a boy getting concussed to the detriment of his chances of getting a spot in the NHL.

I realise he likes to fight and that he may see that fighting in a team that craves pushback might push him further up the queue.........that said this lad is a pretty decent player and I feel our coaches should calm him down a wee bit.

He is a big lad but he is now in a league where he will meet quite a few lads just as big if not bigger. I don't want to see Mallet become another Rick where he feels obligated to fight all the tough guys while many of his team mates, who should be standing up as well, were happy to let Rick take all the risks. Rick was a better player than he was given credit for and so, I suspect is Mallet.

He is at an age where he feels his power but he is also, due to the exuberance of youth, his own worst enemy. It is up to the Wolves management to guide and develop his hockey and tone down his fighting.

I must be alone in thinking young Mallet should tone down the fighting at such a young age. I don't want to see a boy getting concussed to the detriment of his chances of getting a spot in the NHL.

I realise he likes to fight and that he may see that fighting in a team that craves pushback might push him further up the queue.........that said this lad is a pretty decent player and I feel our coaches should calm him down a wee bit.

He is a big lad but he is now in a league where he will meet quite a few lads just as big if not bigger. I don't want to see Mallet become another Rick where he feels obligated to fight all the tough guys while many of his team mates, who should be standing up as well, were happy to let Rick take all the risks. Rick was a better player than he was given credit for and so, I suspect is Mallet.

He is at an age where he feels his power but he is also, due to the exuberance of youth, his own worst enemy. It is up to the Wolves management to guide and develop his hockey and tone down his fighting.

Good points. Like every young guy with a rep coming from junior he will require smart coaching. What impressed me about the Wolves roster was their toughness through the lineup. It doesn't have to fall on Mallet's shoulders to carry the physical side.

Woah there! Maybe tone down that psychological analysis just a tad. 1 professional fight and 3 games into his career, and you are comparing him to Rypien (RIP) and calling him his own worst enemy. I don't think a professional psychologist would even attempt to read that far into someone from watching them play hockey.

Read it again and think before you chirp. I didn't say he was another Rick, I said I didn't want him to go down the the road where you are mainly if not entirely valued for fighting .........like Rick was..........My points are valid and yours are.........well, as if you had read some other post entirely.

If you doubt the content of my post........read back up this thread and you will already see idiots getting carried away with the thought of Mallet fighting in a Canucks jersey.

You did say that he should "tone down the fighting". You stated, with seemingly no uncertainty, that he "likes to fight". You "Suspect...Mallet [is a better player than given credit for]". That is fine and good, but you seem to be basing that off the assumption that people see him as a fighter. I don't think that anyone who matters sees him as a primary fighter.

he's a great 3rd/4th liner that plays great defensively, can pot in the odd goal/assist, crashes and bangs like a champ, and occasionally drops the gloves, usually defending himself from retaliation from a giant hit, or sticking up for teammates. It's not like he's just some goon fighter than runs around picking fights.

He did beat on him in a pretty good way. Bancks impressed me though; he squared up to try and get retribution for a big hit.

Bancks was obviously smaller. What impressed me was not just answering the bell but how game he was; he wound up for at least two huge haymakers that just missed all while absorbing a lot.

Mallet could have taken a King hit, he also fights with some reckless abandon. That instinct is a great sign, he also had a killer instinct when Bancks was showing clear signs of having enough. That is a sign it's in his blood!

A few lessons from Bieksa and the boys on defensive posturing could help?

As for the glee with this performance? Yes it's exciting; Oh boy Mallet throws a huge punch. But some are already proclaiming Mallet and Kassian will be the toughest in the NHL here... Meh, it has been a long time since we saw prospects cleaning up!

Count me in as a fan, but expect to see some lumps too. :ph34r:

How was his fight today?

I was one of the 10% who actually liked this draft pick. Interesting to see how he turns out. I think there is a good chance he will be at least a Lapierre-type player, although his ceiling is a little higher. A tougher version of Janick Hansen would be pretty awesome.

if you look back through the beginning of this thread, more than 10% of the people liked this pick.

You did say that he should "tone down the fighting". You stated, with seemingly no uncertainty, that he "likes to fight". You "Suspect...Mallet [is a better player than given credit for]". That is fine and good, but you seem to be basing that off the assumption that people see him as a fighter. I don't think that anyone who matters sees him as a primary fighter.

Yes I did, are you aware how often he fights.........did you look at/listen to his video. I "suspected" on the various scouting reports and indeed the comments of our own organisation that he is a better player than he is given credit for on here, where most seem to see him for his fighting only..........I agree that no one "who matters" may see him primarily as a fighter, however again you seem incapable of understanding what I had written...........I said the danger was he would see fighting as a means to jump up the queue and if he thinks that and is determined to make it then it may not matter how he is seen by others...........and I'm not even factoring in the hysteria of fans, especially on here for a player "seen" as a fighter

I summed up.

"It is up to the Wolves management to guide and develop his hockey and tone down his fighting."

I stand by that.

He doesn't need to be fighting just now, he needs to be learning, watching and concentrating on his game. A bad concussion now at his age might end his hopes of an NHL career. The boy he fought was smaller than him and yet given some luck might have landed at least 2 haymakers on Mallet.............his next opponent, especially in this league, may be a lot bigger and more accurate.

I am not saying he shouldn't defend himself but I hope for the time being at least, that is the extent of his pugilism.

Some of these points I agree with and some I don't. First off, I wouldn't exactly call getting into two fights in the first month of his pro career excessive. He fought Cody Beach in his first fight, who's a big kid who likes to drop the gloves but he's also a first year pro and then he fought Carter Bancks in his second fight who's not very big and is not exactly known as being a tough guy. Some people on here get so excited when they see a Canuck or Canuck prospect win a fight that they automatically get carried away and overate them without actually knowing or looking at the opponent. Not to take anything away from Mallet because he kicked some ass but we have to be a little bit realistic.

I'm probably happier than anyone to see the Canucks have a couple of guys in their system who can throw down and not puss out like most of the big team does, but I think until he proves himself against some tougher competition, then we have to keep things in perspective. I also think that it's a good thing that they signed Desbiens because he can fight the bigger, tougher guys because of his experience and leave Mallet to fight guys who aren't out of his league. Because although Mallet has decent size, you're right, there's many bigger guys out there with much more experience who we probably don't want him fighting with at this early stage of his career.

The best part about this fight was that the kid didn't even hesitate when someone challenged him. One of the things I HATE about recent Canuck teams is this turn the other cheek mentality when someone takes liberties with them or their teamates and the shoot your face off and mouth off and then not back it up mentality that they've gotten into aside from that. Everything I've seen from this kid and Kassian is that they'll defend themselves, and their teamates if need be, while keeping their mouths shut and that's one thing recent Canucks teams have most definitely lacked.

I agree with most of the Rypien comments. He was a better player than what people gave him credit for and he did fight and try to protect his teamates because they were either too scared or unwilling to do it themselves but Rypien also knew that was his ticket to the NHL and that once he was here and had established himself, that he could concentrate more on playing the game and becoming more than just a tough guy.

This is just my opinion but I think that you just have to let Mallet play and do what he does as it's gotten him this far. At this point it doesn't look like he's a reckless player but more a player that plays a tough physical game, has some offensive potential and won't back down, and when called upon, he can take care of himself nicely. That's his ticket to the NHL and he knows it. I just hope the Canucks don't neuter him and Kassian like they have their NHL team because they drafted him because of those exact same attributes that he's shown thus far in his young pro career.

I really like what I've seen from him so far, both in junior and in Chicago and I'll be hoping for him to make the big club as he's the kind of player that I look forward to watching and cheering for based on his style of play.

Archived