477 replies to this topic

#301 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

I didn't know about the above players either but I felt convinced that Mallet wasn't the best pick at that particular spot.

That being said, I also wasn't aware of the bolded which you just mentioned.

Sometimes it is really tempting/easier to make 'outsider observations', like I did, and you're right - it's far too early to make judgements. From the little I've heard of Mallet, it seems he has "character", which before reading your post, I thought, at the time, was a flimsy reason for going 'off-the-board' for. I hope he does well though, genuinely and becomes someone like Burrows who is a major part of this team.

It's understandable if one hasn't watched him play on the Wolves earlier this season. But the impression that I got from watching him play was that he is a smart player with good hockey IQ, and that's what gives me confidence that he'll turn out to be a good pro.

I know there's the history of us doing poorly in the Q but I think his overall combination of attributes - quite a few of them too - will allow him to succeed where other draft picks have failed before. Likewise with Grenier, I was skeptical of the pick but now it's looking like he has some potential too, so I'll be patient with Gillis' drafting and give them time.

Btw yeah, he really does seem like he could be another Burrows, except bigger and tougher to boot.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#302 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

It's understandable if one hasn't watched him play on the Wolves earlier this season. But the impression that I got from watching him play was that he is a smart player with good hockey IQ, and that's what gives me confidence that he'll turn out to be a good pro.

I know there's the history of us doing poorly in the Q but I think his overall combination of attributes - quite a few of them too - will allow him to succeed where other draft picks have failed before. Likewise with Grenier, I was skeptical of the pick but now it's looking like he has some potential too, so I'll be patient with Gillis' drafting and give them time.

Btw yeah, he really does seem like he could be another Burrows, except bigger and tougher to boot.

Agreed.

I think a Lappierre comparison isn't too far off either. Bottom 6 centre with grit, and some potential to chip in offensively.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#303 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Mallet scored a goal and had 2 shots on net, 2 PIMS and a -1 rating for Kalamazoo in a 5-2 loss to the Reading Royals yesterday.

#304 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Mallet went scoreless today for Kalamazoo and had 3 shots on net, 4 PIMS (a high sticking double minor) and an even rating in a 4-3 loss to the Trenton Titans today.

#305 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

So far has 20 points (9g, 11a) in 29 games, 57 shots and 29 PIMS. Doing well for a rookie pro in the E!

#306 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

Another scoreless outing today for Mallet in a 3-2 OT win for Kalamazoo over the Toledo Walleye. He added 2 PIMS and was even on the night.

#307 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Lp
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#308 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Mallet picked up two helpers - including one on the OT winner by Yann Sauve - and had 3 shots on net and an even rating for Kalamazoo today in a 4-3 OT win over the Toledo Walleye.

#309 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,728 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

22 points in his last 20 games.

That's good to see. I was worried when he was playing for the Wolves that his offensive game was lacking. But he seems to have found it.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#310 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

That's good to see. I was worried when he was playing for the Wolves that his offensive game was lacking. But he seems to have found it.

I didn't think his offence would translate to pro that quickly. The Q is notorious for being a high-scoring league and I wasn't sure if that offensive ability would be as profound once hitting pro. But after seeing him on the Wolves you realize he's a smart guy with some skill, so it's good to see it turn into production.

With Andrew Gordon - who's been playing center lately - getting injured, it's possible he could get called up. They're short on C's right now too.

#311 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I didn't think his offence would translate to pro that quickly. The Q is notorious for being a high-scoring league and I wasn't sure if that offensive ability would be as profound once hitting pro. But after seeing him on the Wolves you realize he's a smart guy with some skill, so it's good to see it turn into production.

With Andrew Gordon - who's been playing center lately - getting injured, it's possible he could get called up. They're short on C's right now too.

It's actually 20pts (8g 12a) in his last 22gp, and 9g 13a 22pts in his last 26gp, but that's basically the same thing so whatever.

Very solid start to what was supposed to be a project player according to everyone (general consensus among fans & media) except for those in the know (NHL circles).

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#312 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

I hope he stay with the Wolves for the rest of the season , lack of center doesn't help and I believe he can play anyway on the team so that helps

congrats on his first AHL point!

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#313 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Made a nice play on the goal, gets his first AHL point. 4th game in 4 nights too! :shock:

#314 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

liked him as a center more than a wing, here's to hoping he can stick!

#315 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

Some comments from coach Bootland on his play from a little while back. I think it rings pretty well true now:

“He’s still trying to find his way as a pro, but I think once he finds his way he’s going to provide some grit, some flash with his speed and he’ll play with a little bit of an edge to his game,” Bootland said. “He does play the body pretty hard.

“I seen him six days up there in the American League (Chicago Wolves) camp and he’s very competitive, but just very young. He’s got to gain some confidence in his game, and once that comes, you see flashes, you seen him first on the forecheck a couple times and you seen him on 2-on-1’s creating come opportunities.”

#316 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

More somewhat recent comments by the coach on Mallet:

“I just start to play simple and just make the simple play: go to the net, shoot at the net,” the French Canadian said. “You never know what’s going to happen.”

Said Bootland: “I think confidence is a huge thing for a young guy. (Mallet) plays with a little bit of an edge in his game. Now, we haven’t seen a ton of that yet, but there is that in his game.

He has the ability to put the puck in the net and you can see his confidence is getting higher and higher and he wants the puck more often. When he wants the puck and when he competes for the puck, he’s pretty strong. He protects the puck very, very well. He’s starting to contribute.”

#317 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Wish the Wolves still had Roussel, he and Mallet would have made a gritty and tough French line for the Wolves.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#318 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Wish the Wolves still had Roussel, he and Mallet would have made a gritty and tough French line for the Wolves.

Roussel was playing for Dallas the other day. I wish Van had been able to hang on to him.

#319 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Lp

#320 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

I like this guy and think he will develop into a good player. Like others, he will take some time to get his game together. I hope he stays as a C -much more valuable position and he can always switch if it doesn't work out. He's got a ways to go, but I think he'll be a keeper.

#321 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Considering he is an "almost ready" prospect drafted by the Canucks, I wonder what are his chances of making the Canucks next season?
Learning his trade with Lapierre mentoring him might not be a bad idea. Plus, having someone for backup faceoff duty on the 4th line is always a bonus.
Line of Volpatti(or other enforcer)-Lapierre-Mallet?

#322 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

Considering he is an "almost ready" prospect drafted by the Canucks, I wonder what are his chances of making the Canucks next season?
Learning his trade with Lapierre mentoring him might not be a bad idea. Plus, having someone for backup faceoff duty on the 4th line is always a bonus.
Line of Volpatti(or other enforcer)-Lapierre-Mallet?

I think he'll challenge for a spot starting in 2014 or 2015. His offensive game is still developing and you don't want to hurt that part of his game. Weise is doing a good job so far in that spot IMO.

#323 Ghewlash

Ghewlash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Boy oh boy, this guy sure isn't setting the world on fire. He looked promising when we drafted him, but it has just not gone well for him since. Any ideas why??

#324 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,728 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Boy oh boy, this guy sure isn't setting the world on fire. He looked promising when we drafted him, but it has just not gone well for him since. Any ideas why??

He was just starting to get some consistency at the ECHL level, and then they brought him up to the Wolves and played him on the fourth line. Didn't make sense.

This guy needs to spend the season in the ECHL, have a good summer of training, and make the Wolves next season.

Some players need the ECHL as a stepping stone just to get their confidence up. The AHL is a big jump up from the Q.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#325 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Probably because he was a man dominating in a boy's league for only last season. Every year before that he put up terrible numbers for anyone expecting to get drafted, much less a top 60 pick. Some thought he was a late bloomer, but I think his lack of success in the AHL is really more indicative of him having one good season that overestimated his abilities

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#326 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

I really like his breakout year with the Oceanic. Rimouski is a highly-acclaimed team, harboring the likes of Sidney Crosby and Benoit Pouliot. Mallet should improve quite well in such an organization.
Posted Image

#327 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Probably because he was a man dominating in a boy's league for only last season. Every year before that he put up terrible numbers for anyone expecting to get drafted, much less a top 60 pick. Some thought he was a late bloomer, but I think his lack of success in the AHL is really more indicative of him having one good season that overestimated his abilities

No, he's a late bloomer. Not many players can step from the CHL to AHL and play with no change in production. He went from being a top line, relied-upon player to a 4th line rookie. He's not going to step in and score a lot, that's not what's expected either, we want him to be a bottom 6 role player and were developing him that way.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#328 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

No, he's a late bloomer. Not many players can step from the CHL to AHL and play with no change in production. He went from being a top line, relied-upon player to a 4th line rookie. He's not going to step in and score a lot, that's not what's expected either, we want him to be a bottom 6 role player and were developing him that way.

change in production is expected, but a complete dropoff? He has 1 AHL point all season.

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#329 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

I'm crying over spilled milk here but this thread really should have been Damon Severson or Devin Shore talk. Craig Button called this a bad pick. I think he was probably right.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#330 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'm crying over spilled milk here but this thread really should have been Damon Severson or Devin Shore talk. Craig Button called this a bad pick. I think he was probably right.

I thought Severson would've been a great choice at the time and still do. 2 way defender that could help shore up a defensive prospect pool that is looking thin after Corrado, even before McNally's incident

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.