515 replies to this topic

#331 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,032 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Gillis has shown a knack for finding diamond in the rough defenders for free. I'm not too worried about our D prospects.

Just look at our latest find in McEneny. He's looking like he could be a great pickup, and basically a free 3rd or 4th round pick.

Edited by DeNiro, 10 March 2013 - 04:46 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#332 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

Gillis has shown a knack for finding diamond in the rough defenders for free. I'm not too worried about our D prospects.

Just look at our latest find in McEneny. He's looking like he could be a great pickup, and basically a free 3rd or 4th round pick.

A knack? his only success story so far is Tanev

McEneny is having a good year but how much of that is due to him being on a stacked team in a scoring league? Couple that with his injury history and he is far from a sure thing

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#333 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

change in production is expected, but a complete dropoff? He has 1 AHL point all season.

He's been on the 4th line. In a top 6 role then yes worry, but he is playing 6 minutes a night, and isn't even playing every game.

I'm crying over spilled milk here but this thread really should have been Damon Severson or Devin Shore talk. Craig Button called this a bad pick. I think he was probably right.

Severson is interesting because he plays for Kelowna.

But meh, I would rather have grabbed Scott Kosmachuk, Daniil Zharkov, Shayne Gostisbehere or Adam Pelech.

zackass.png

#334 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

He's been on the 4th line. In a top 6 role then yes worry, but he is playing 6 minutes a night, and isn't even playing every game.

so its okay then to be a marginal AHL player? Not his fault for not pushing for a bigger role, or even drawing into the lineup?

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#335 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

I thought Severson would've been a great choice at the time and still do. 2 way defender that could help shore up a defensive prospect pool that is looking thin after Corrado, even before McNally's incident

Yeah, at the time I thought Severson was the obvious mainstream choice, with Shore being a likely Gillis 'hipster' type choice. Mallet threw me for a loop.

I don't know who these persuasive people are Gillis is listening to that keep talking him into bad choices out of the 'Q' year after year with the same results, but Gillis really needs to stop listening to them and wasting valuable draft picks.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#336 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

I thought Severson would've been a great choice at the time and still do. 2 way defender that could help shore up a defensive prospect pool that is looking thin after Corrado, even before McNally's incident

Connaution, Corrado, Andersson, Tommernes, McEneny?

Even Price and McNally don't look too bad.

We have alot of depth in the defender pool. And as DeNiro said we have done a pretty good job signing prospect defenders, we have seen it in the past with Tanev, McEneny, aswell as Oberg and Erixon who were pretty regarded at the time.

zackass.png

#337 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

so its okay then to be a marginal AHL player? Not his fault for not pushing for a bigger role, or even drawing into the lineup?

It's his first year, he isn't getting much time to play and even if he was playing well Arniel wouldn't move him up. He has been pretty good in the ECHL.

Give it time, he is a late bloomer, we will see next year where he is at. And that will likely be in a top 9 role with the Wolves.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 10 March 2013 - 04:53 PM.

zackass.png

#338 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Connaution, Corrado, Andersson, Tommernes, McEneny?

Even Price and McNally don't look too bad.

We have alot of depth in the defender pool. And as DeNiro said we have done a pretty good job signing prospect defenders, we have seen it in the past with Tanev, McEneny, aswell as Oberg and Erixon who were pretty regarded at the time.

regarded at the time means they aren't doing anything important now.

Aside from corrado, none of those guys project as top 4 defenders, connauton would be better suited playing forward with how lost he gets in his zone. Andersson is the opposite, his offensive upside is quite questionable but good in his own zone. Tomerness is already 23, and yet to have a breakout year

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#339 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

Aside from corrado, none of those guys project as top 4 defenders, connauton would be better suited playing forward with how lost he gets in his zone. Andersson is the opposite, his offensive upside is quite questionable but good in his own zone. Tomerness is already 23, and yet to have a breakout year

Severson is regarded as a good prospect now, could be nothing in the future, that's the way it is with all prospects.

Andersson has the chops to be a 2nd pair guy, you don't need offense, he brings reliability and good size. Offensive game is still developing.

Tommernes has been playing top minutes in the SEL all year. He has an all round game, and is a late bloomer, a great 7th round pick IMO and has top 4 upside if things go well.

We will get a better look at him next season.

Connaution is more likely a 4-5.

McEneny looks good too, has size, plays top minutes and in every situation.

Plus we don't need defensive prospects really, we have Tanev and the rest of our blueline is locked up long term, Edler will be here for awhile. And there are more drafts upcoming.

And we also never touched on McNally or Price.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 10 March 2013 - 05:05 PM.

zackass.png

#340 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

It's spilled milk again. but might it not have been a better idea to leave Connauton to develop slowly for three more years under Andy Murray at Western Michigan? He would just be turning pro now with a few more years with which to learn how to play defense.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#341 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

I'm just saying, severson has a lot fewer question marks with his game than most of the Canucks prospects, and Mallet. He's solid offensively and defensively, and comes from an NHL pipeline for defenders in Kelowna

Edited by canucklax, 10 March 2013 - 05:08 PM.

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#342 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

I think Mallet was a decent pick, but Adam Pelech would've been a nice choice to, and I'm not just saying that because he's related to MG
CDC Sim Connected: Nashville GM
LOB (PS3): Boston GM

#343 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Jury is out for 3 years. Look at Alex Burrows. Played quite a bit in the ECHL and didn't make a dent till he was 26. Give the kid some time before you start judging him a bust. Many considered Schroeder a bust till he got called up this year.
Posted Image

#344 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Jury is out for 3 years. Look at Alex Burrows. Played quite a bit in the ECHL and didn't make a dent till he was 26. Give the kid some time before you start judging him a bust. Many considered Schroeder a bust till he got called up this year.

Burrows is an anomaly. The ECHL is known as a prospect graveyard for skaters. Some goalies come out from it, but if a guy can't find a spot out of 13 forwards or 7 defenders in the AHL, his NHL upside has to be questioned

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#345 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Burrows is an anomaly. The ECHL is known as a prospect graveyard for skaters. Some goalies come out from it, but if a guy can't find a spot out of 13 forwards or 7 defenders in the AHL, his NHL upside has to be questioned

You don't know crap. So many examples of players making the NHL 25+. He's not worth giving up on for a LONG time.

http://echl.com/URLr...rosters-p173246

EDIT: Ever crossed your mind Gillis is sending him to the ECHL to play top line minutes rather than play 6 minutes for the wolves? He's good enough to make the team but not good enough to supplant there top 3 centers.

Edited by Z. Kassian, 10 March 2013 - 10:31 PM.

Posted Image

#346 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

You don't know crap. So many examples of players making the NHL 25+. He's not worth giving up on for a LONG time.

EDIT: Ever crossed your mind Gillis is sending him to the ECHL to play top line minutes rather than play 6 minutes for the wolves? He's good enough to make the team but not good enough to supplant there top 3 centers.

Well if we want an assistant coach that's a good list, otherwise its filled with marginal players for the most part.

If Mallet is only good enough to play 6 minutes like you say, why was he chosen with a 2nd round pick when plenty of skilled players were left? And if he wasn't good enough to supplant those top 3 guys, why sign him to a pro contract when he could've stayed in the Q for another year?

Edited by canucklax, 10 March 2013 - 10:36 PM.

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#347 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

Well if we want an assistant coach that's a good list, otherwise its filled with marginal players for the most part.

If Mallet is only good enough to play 6 minutes like you say, why was he chosen with a 2nd round pick when plenty of skilled players were left? And if he wasn't good enough to supplant those top 3 guys, why sign him to a pro contract when he could've stayed in the Q for another year?

Feel like that is a fairly straight forward question... but I'll help your slow mind. They'd rather him play against men then boys? Wouldn't you rather have Jensen play in the ECHL than the OHL once he was drafted??
Posted Image

#348 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

Feel like that is a fairly straight forward question... but I'll help your slow mind. They'd rather him play against men then boys? Wouldn't you rather have Jensen play in the ECHL than the OHL once he was drafted??

Jensen wasn't eligible to go to the ECHL or AHL, hence why he went overseas. Mallet just isn't good enough, how hard is that to understand? He's a waste of a 2nd round pick

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#349 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

I think Mallet was a decent pick, but Adam Pelech would've been a nice choice to, and I'm not just saying that because he's related to MG

Islanders took him early in the second round. He was not available at the time of the mallet pick.

#350 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

Jensen wasn't eligible to go to the ECHL or AHL, hence why he went overseas. Mallet just isn't good enough, how hard is that to understand? He's a waste of a 2nd round pick

He's barely played one season as a pro and you're labeling him a bust? Because he hasn't produced at the AHL level in his first season or because he plays in the ECHL?

Here's a list of current nhl skaters that are from the echl: David desharnais, mark streit, Michael Ryder, rich peverly, Dan giradi, Russian fedotenko, Cory conacher, Andrew brunette, francois beauchmin, Joe corporate and the anomaly Alex burrows. Is that a list of players with a bunch of scrubs? Granted these are only a list of guys who made it but writing a guy off in his first season is ridiculous. If it's 3 or 4 years and he's still in the echl then yeah, there are points to back up your claim.

#351 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

You obviously don't understand my point. The ECHL is a better league than the Q hence they signed him to a contract so he didn't have to play there.
Posted Image

#352 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

POPULAR

Because our next pick was a 5th round pick, no chance he would have been available. And we really liked him.

I also love how you are calling him a bust because he is playing top minutes in the ECHL rather than limited minutes with the Wolves.

It would be nice to see you atleast give him a fair shake, but I guess that isn't going to happen.

zackass.png

#353 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Ok, I'm going to put this pic in spoiler tag because it's a little bit gruesome. Apparently Mallet got cut with a skateblade to the chin. It's doesn't look to be anything other than cosmetic (versus life threatening or anything that would have long term recovery issues) but it's still very nasty.

Here's the tweet I got it from (from Grenier's twitter):

greener05
@LaMalletos_21 ouchhh #skatepic.twitter.com/xNXTSTeLj2

Spoiler

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#354 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Ok, I'm going to put this pic in spoiler tag because it's a little bit gruesome. Apparently Mallet got cut with a skateblade to the chin. It's doesn't look to be anything other than cosmetic (versus life threatening or anything that would have long term recovery issues) but it's still very nasty.

Here's the tweet I got it from (from Grenier's twitter):
[/size]

Spoiler

Wow, that's an ugly gash. Do you know if that was from today's game?
(Kalamazoo got crushed 9-2, but Mallet did manage to score a goal.)

abl8vt.jpg

#355 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Wow, that's an ugly gash. Do you know if that was from today's game?
(Kalamazoo got crushed 9-2, but Mallet did manage to score a goal.)

There's nothing in the writeup about it, but the tweet was from today and it looks like he has a St Paddy's themed jersey on. I guess we'll find out more soon, and I sent a tweet to Grenier and Mallet asking what's up.

#356 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Oh wow that's bad. It looks like its just a photoshopped black line (I know it's not, it's that gruesome)

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#357 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,780 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

WE shall all look back some day and "quote" you, Mr. Negative .. :)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#358 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Oh wow that's bad. It looks like its just a photoshopped black line (I know it's not, it's that gruesome)

I'm not sure I would want to see it with better lighting/photography/detail. Luckily it wasn't worse though.

#359 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

This. Exactly this. You want him playing a lot to develop, not wasting away getting 6 or 7 minutes on the 4th line. Leave that role for scrubs.

Knowing what we all know now, would you take Burrows with a 1st round pick in the 1999 draft? I would.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#360 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

This. Exactly this. You want him playing a lot to develop, not wasting away getting 6 or 7 minutes on the 4th line. Leave that role for scrubs.

Knowing what we all know now, would you take Burrows with a 1st round pick in the 1999 draft? I would.

You'd pick Burrows over the Sedins?

abl8vt.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.