The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

Some good points made in this thread, but I still think we need to temper our expectations with Mallet. He's a very raw player whose development needs to go just right. Some types of players you just know will find their way to becoming the player they're supposed to be, while for raw powerforwards with skill, it can be very easy for their development to go awry if not handled properly.

I'm NOT comparing these two players in any way, but Lucic is an example of a player whose development into a 25-30 goal, 50-60 point power forward was very fortunate. He's the kind of player who could have just as easily become an AHL plug or a goon.

All that being said, I'm quite optimistic about Mallet. Drafting may not be a strong suit of the Canucks organization but at the same time they're not idiots. I highly doubt they would draft Mallet in the 2nd round without a damn good reason. There's obviously something special there. Same thing with a guy like Rodin.

Mallet scored again today in his teams 2-1 shootout win.

So make that 7 points in his last 5 games.

Nice! If the score was 2-1 in a shootout that means Mallet scored the only goal for his team, That's always a good sign and an indication of your value to the team.

Some good points made in this thread, but I still think we need to temper our expectations with Mallet. He's a very raw player whose development needs to go just right. Some types of players you just know will find their way to becoming the player they're supposed to be, while for raw powerforwards with skill, it can be very easy for their development to go awry if not handled properly.

I'm NOT comparing these two players in any way, but Lucic is an example of a player whose development into a 25-30 goal, 50-60 point power forward was very fortunate. He's the kind of player who could have just as easily become an AHL plug or a goon.

All that being said, I'm quite optimistic about Mallet. Drafting may not be a strong suit of the Canucks organization but at the same time they're not idiots. I highly doubt they would draft Mallet in the 2nd round without a damn good reason. There's obviously something special there. Same thing with a guy like Rodin.

I agree that we shouldn't put the world on the kid's shoulders however I think Mallet also has a greater chance of reaching his potential than many draftees because he seems to have been gaining offensive skill despite being misplayed as a grinder. That's all him, working on that during games, adjusting and adapting while simultaneously playing a totally separate role. I think he's made it known that the 3rd line is not where he belongs and with the benefits of coaching and singular focus on generating points, he'll likely improve even more impressively.

Gillis is a hipster GM. The Mallet pick was so not mainstream.

But great comparison. Both players were ranked in the fourth round. We are lucky to have gotten Archibald for free, I am surprised he didn't get picked. Even his rookie year in the OHL he scored 25 goals in 68 games.

Mallet and Archibald are two different players. Mallet skates well and is physical. Volpatti's NHL opportunity came off of 2 goals in 53 AHL games. Archibald's lack of food speed might inhibit him from making the NHL as a bottom 6 player.

Gillis is a hipster gm.

Alexandre Mallet has been called up to Chicago.

Good stuff! Time to see if guys like Mallet and Grenier can pick up the slack while some of the other better players are up with the Canucks. That, of course, is dependent on what kind of opportunities they're given by the coaching staff.

Tough for a guy (Mallett ) coming out of junior to play the tough guy role. For the first time in his life he's up against men not boys. Interesting to see what Grenier can offer.

Malletts time will come more towards the end of next season when he get's the feel of where he fits in the toughness pecking order

Mallet and Grenier are kind of what i consider to be the beginning of the "next wave" of exciting prospects. ideally they both stick in Chi, but i hope if they are reassigned to the wings, that they get a good amount of time together in multiple situations. Ideally they will be more comfortable with the pro style when the likes of jensen, gaunce, corrado and price show up.

Archived