The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

so in 8 extra games he was able to get 60 more Points than the previous year in the same league and team. Lets hope that is more about him, his play, effort, etc. than the team getting better players

Don't know anything about the guy, but based on stats (especially the 80PTS in 68 games) looking pretty good. Hope the best for all players drafted and hopefully someday people will look at this year and see that Canucks were the real definite winners ;)

The pessimism in this topic is sickening. Show a bit of support for the new prospects and for the Canucks. A lot of you goofs seem to think you have the gift of foresight or something.

Agreed and I don't even see where it's coming from. What information do we have to fault someone like Labate on? I don't know about all of you but I've found it very hard to catch any of his games this year and we all know that stats only say so much. The fact that no one has stuck up for Rodin either confuses me. I was really impressed with him in the games I watched by the end of the season. The kid has skills AND is a defensively sound player. How are we not excited about this prospect?

Agreed and I don't even see where it's coming from. What information do we have to fault someone like Labate on? I don't know about all of you but I've found it very hard to catch any of his games this year and we all know that stats only say so much. The fact that no one has stuck up for Rodin either confuses me. I was really impressed with him in the games I watched by the end of the season. The kid has skills AND is a defensively sound player. How are we not excited about this prospect?

Yup, with LaBate, in the games I saw him play, my only knock on him was that he wasn't physical enough, especially considering he was easily the tallest guy in each game. Other than that, he was fast, made good defensive plays, and has a wicked wrister.

Schroeder, Rodin and Labate say high.

Rodin has been a huge disspointment and is most likely a future SEL player with Gillis wanting size for the team. its too early to say Labate is a good pick. Also, Schroeder did not turn out to be the offesive powerhouse steal who thought we got at the draft when he fell to us.

Rodin has been a huge disspointment and is most likely a future SEL player with Gillis wanting size for the team. its too early to say Labate is a good pick. Also, Schroeder did not turn out to be the offesive powerhouse steal who thought we got at the draft when he fell to us.

Lol! Huge disappointment?

Sry but he just finished his first NA season and spent most of it with a shoulder problem. Not sure how that is a disappointment.

Lol! Huge disappointment?

Sry but he just finished his first NA season and spent most of it with a shoulder problem. Not sure how that is a disappointment.

So in what way did he wow you? You do realize his ELC ends in next season and he is most likely not going to be ready.

So in what way did he wow you? You do realize his ELC ends in next season and he is most likely not going to be ready.

He didnt wow me but he made steady improvement last season, especially in the second half of the season.

Lots of prospects dont make the NHL during their ELC especially a lot of second round European players because they spent there first year of te ELC usually playing in Europe, then come over and adjust to the NA game and then make big improvements in their 3rd year.

Rodin is only turning 22 in November. He's not even close to his prime yet or finished developing.

The five bolded players will attend a US college program so they will not be attending prospects tournament or training camp. Also, Grenier is in Austria, so not sure if he'll be attending.

Sweatt - Schroeder - Jensen

Mallet - Gaunce - Rodin

Archibald - Friesen - Anthony

Rai - Schneider - Tochkin (or FAs or Camp Invites - anywhere on this line)

Connauton - Corrado

Sauve - Polasek

Andersson - FAs or Camp Invite

Cannata

Honzik

FAs or Camp Invite

That's what I think our lineup will look like. We can definitely take Edmonton on this year IMO - our center depth is finally looking decent with Schroeder, Gaunce and Friesen down the middle.

Also, I wonder if Kassian will attend - probably not - same with Tanev. And what is the eligibility for playing in this tournament? Schroeder and Sweatt have played in a couple now, I think ...

Don't know why you guys are making a roster for a tournament that isnt happening.

For one thing it is still too early to write Schroeder off, and secondly he has spent most of his time in the AHL learning the defensive side of the game on the third line. From what the coaching staff has reported over the years he is progressing just fine in that aspect of the game and is close to getting a call up to the NHL. Rodin has not been given a chance in the AHL. Maybe next year he will get the ice time needed to prove himself.

I guess Gillis was tired of picking up broken down project players for the role of 4th line thrower. Either that or the Wolves are bulking up. Either way, Mallet is going to be a pro right away. He was a freakin' bully last season as an overager, so it should be interesting to see what he does against men all season long.

The guy has offensive ability. That's nice. But the most important thing right now is that he's a freakin' healthy option to put out there to throw and bang. Hopefully smarter and faster too. (God-dammit, Bitz.) Cheers.

TOML

I like this pick because it is a salary cap conscious pick. With the cap, it is important to make sure you get value for every million you spend. If you are paying 6 million to the sedins, you need to get the same per million value out of you 3rd and 4th line players. Mallet is a player who could be a very valuable 1-3 million on this team. Teams don't like to trade players that have great performance per dollar value, so it is good to get them through the draft. Finding a great scorer in the 2nd round is far fetched, but finding someone who will be a cheaper, high quality role player is feasible, and just as valuable.

For those spurned by this pick and those who understand it as well, I have put together an offense only highlight package (because there isnt defensive footage out there and if you want fights, you know where to get them.)

I'll be adding annotations tomorrow so its easier to follow him around.

Hope the best for all players drafted and hopefully someday people will look at this year and see that Canucks were the real definite winners ;)

with the late array of picks made and the small number available, if they emerged the def. winners either we just became Detroit or it's time to bring back Tommy Larscheid for the day from retirement-- "That was highway robbery, someone call the law!" :frantic:

30% of second liners make the NHL, and I think Mallet has a good chance.

Difference between Mallet and Rodin is that Mallet has a high chance of being a Lapierre calibre player. With Rodin, he might fall in the "not physical enough for the bottom 6, not offensive enough for the top 6" mould and never make the nhl (along with Schroeder and Sweatt).

The Lapierres, Ruutus, Tootoos and Cookes play an important role. I think Mallet will be a Canuck for a long time. 10 goal, 10 assists, 10 fights, 100 hits, 100 pim sort of guy.

The Canucks rarely breed bottom 6 guys. Outside of Hansen (who is brimming on second line material and is still fairly small & skilled) our team is primarily homegrown in the top 6 (Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Raymond) and free agents/traded players in the bottom 6/ginder roles (Hansen). Mike Brown is one of the few NHL regulars in the bottom 6 we have drafted in recent years.

30% of second liners make the NHL, and I think Mallet has a good chance.

Difference between Mallet and Rodin is that Mallet has a high chance of being a Lapierre calibre player. With Rodin, he might fall in the "not physical enough for the bottom 6, not offensive enough for the top 6" mould and never make the nhl (along with Schroeder and Sweatt).

The Lapierres, Ruutus, Tootoos and Cookes play an important role. I think Mallet will be a Canuck for a long time. 10 goal, 10 assists, 10 fights, 100 hits, 100 pim sort of guy.

The Canucks rarely breed bottom 6 guys. Outside of Hansen (who is brimming on second line material and is still fairly small & skilled) our team is primarily homegrown in the top 6 (Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Raymond) and free agents/traded players in the bottom 6/ginder roles (Hansen). Mike Brown is one of the few NHL regulars in the bottom 6 we have drafted in recent years.

Couldn't agree more.

Archived