The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

Still can't get over this terrible pick, people here try to say "he may not have been available in the later rounds", well guess what , players like Athanasiou, Pelech, Marcantuoni, Hudon, Shore, Severson, Maidens, Bozon, Kosmachuk, Zharkov, Stephenson, Sundqvist, Rissling, Whitney, Gusev, Curcuruto, slepyshev, Bourke, and hell even ebert was the last player taken this year and id rather have him. Worst nucks draft pick iv seen in the new NHL. And that includes Pat White. And lol at peeps saying he's a "stud or gem" for a second rounder. We took Hutton 147 overall and that still would have been to high for this guy who was passed over in two drafts. ffs

You can't guarantee that any of those players you mentioned will have a productive career with their teams within the next 5 years. MG wanted this guy because he can come in and start playing in the AHL. Like Thomas Gradin said in an interview, people say it's about getting the best player available, but the truth is teams also consider their needs, particularly in this salary cap era where trades are much more difficult.

bad pick... just because he got 81 pts in 68 games dosen't mean he will be a big player in the national hockey league, like many people already said "they should of picked damon severson" they were correct, he is like edler, big guy, good skater and puts up good points for a D-man... and since they were willing to pick players ranked in rounds over 5, they should of gone with logan nelson, play's for victoria royals in the whl and is a big guy like severson, he is a center, put up 62 points in 71 games and a pretty tough guy. both of these players got picked by teams that we don't like (severson to nj) (Nelson to buffalo) i will also compare nelson to hodgson (but in a good way)

bad pick... just because he got 81 pts in 68 games dosen't mean he will be a big player in the national hockey league, like many people already said "they should of picked damon severson" they were correct, he is like edler, big guy, good skater and puts up good points for a D-man... and since they were willing to pick players ranked in rounds over 5, they should of gone with logan nelson, play's for victoria royals in the whl and is a big guy like severson, he is a center, put up 62 points in 71 games and a pretty tough guy. both of these players got picked by teams that we don't like (severson to nj) (Nelson to buffalo) i will also compare nelson to hodgson (but in a good way)

How do you know Mallet is a bad pick? After probably only knowing 3 months of this player since being drafted, probably seeing some superficial highlights on youtube and etc how were you able to come to a concise decision that he is a bad pick? Please do enlighten us....

give me a break you haven't even seen this kid play yet I bet...unless you have been following this kid as a scout; I highly doubt you know much about him like the rest of us do...

Still can't get over this terrible pick, people here try to say "he may not have been available in the later rounds", well guess what , players like Athanasiou, Pelech, Marcantuoni, Hudon, Shore, Severson, Maidens, Bozon, Kosmachuk, Zharkov, Stephenson, Sundqvist, Rissling, Whitney, Gusev, Curcuruto, slepyshev, Bourke, and hell even ebert was the last player taken this year and id rather have him. Worst nucks draft pick iv seen in the new NHL. And that includes Pat White. And lol at peeps saying he's a "stud or gem" for a second rounder. We took Hutton 147 overall and that still would have been to high for this guy who was passed over in two drafts. ffs

Please how is Mallet a terrible pick? Just because he got passed over twice in the previous drafts doesn't mean he is bad...maybe he is a late bloomer and we are taking a shot at that. And I bet those players you listed you probably dont even know much about besides common draft sites predicting their potential outcome...like the rest of us...we have very little to no knowledge of most of these prospects and only make a big deal just because we see them on tv or on wjc roster lists.

Im sure if Alex Mallet was more publisized...everyone would go head over heals just because his name is well heard and etc. Being well publisized doesn't mean your going to be a good player....aka Angelo Esposito, Nick Ebert, etc

We don't like the Devils or Sabres?

What's to like about this player is that once given a chance, he's excelled with it. Before this past year he was playing on the 3rd and 4th lines. And even with his exponential increase in points he still had an edge judging from that 136 PMs. I'm excited to see how he does in the AHL next year.

I love how people whine about wasting a 2nd round pick on a under the radar player(Mallet isn't a waste).

Stop whining! Don't forget Gillis acquired a free high second round pick, Bill Sweatt(38th overall). Chris Tanev in the NHL as a 21 year old is equivalent to a 1st round/2nd round pick.

Also Mallet was the most feared player in the QMJHL, hits like a bus, fight's like a bear and has soft hands to boot. he'll be a VERY solid 4th liner in the future. he's one of those 4th liners that you don't cringe when he steps on the ice to take a shift, and you can roll his line out there on the regular (provided the rest of that line isn't a total mess).

He'll be the new Rypien in a couple years, maybe even better, and maybe even sooner.

I like the pick, I think sometimes being passed over, even twice can be a great thing developmentally. Really though its a crapshoot beyond the first 20 picks and I guess we will just have to wait to see what happens with him, but his stats trending upwards can't be a bad thing.

Also Mallet was the most feared player in the QMJHL, hits like a bus, fight's like a bear and has soft hands to boot. he'll be a VERY solid 4th liner in the future. he's one of those 4th liners that you don't cringe when he steps on the ice to take a shift, and you can roll his line out there on the regular (provided the rest of that line isn't a total mess).

He'll be the new Rypien in a couple years, maybe even better, and maybe even sooner.

Maybe not Rypiens caliber of fighter but certainly a Lapierre-type guy who fights with Bieksas skill but will fight anyone.

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to get really concerned with Gillis and companies drafting. Other than Hodgson, Shroeder,K-Conn,Guance, and Jensen it looks pretty bleak. I'm glad they managed to nab Tanev, but even now he isn't a sure thing. Apparently the Canucks were going to take Rodin in the first round until Shroeder fell in their lap...... I do believe it was Shroeder, I could be mistaken. I hope I'm wrong, but for the most part it looks pretty bad.

Alex Grenier and now Mallet look like guys that could've been nabbed much later. I hope the Canucks know something we don't with this type of drafting strategy.

EDIT: I saw the video that mentions that Mallet was about to be taken by another team. I didnt realise teams shared this type of information with each other, seems kind of weird. I also like the Labate and Corrado picks, and I forgot about Justin Mcnally which could become something in the future aswell.

I'm starting to get really concerned with Gillis and companies drafting. Other than Hodgson, Shroeder, and K-conn it looks pretty bleak. I'm glad they managed to nab Tanev, but even now he isn't a sure thing. Apparently the Canucks were going to take Rodin in the first round until Shroeder fell in their lap...... I do believe it was Shroeder, I could be mistaken. I hope I'm wrong, but for the most part it looks pretty bad.

Alex Grenier and now Mallet look like guys that could've been nabbed much later. I hope the Canucks know something we don't with this type of drafting strategy.

Our prospects pool looks stronger than ever. We don't have guys that make the roster at 18, but we're also a team that drafts in the late 20s every year. We also have a very strong team, which forces a lot of prospects to the minors or to be dealt as was the Grabner case.

Right now, we have Schroeder, Connauton, Kassian, Sweatt, Lack, and Tanev all shining at the AHL level. These guys all have minimum 2 years of pro experience, and will be ready for NHL spots in the near future. Jensen is tied for 2nd in SEL scoring this year, he's facing grown men at 19 and beating them. Another year on Jensen and suddenly we're stacked with home grown talent.

As per the Mallet hate, it's too early to start judging. Mallet earned a spot on the Wolves over guys like Anthony, Archibald, Rai and Tochkin - guys who have had more pro experience. Mallet isn't the guy that's going to score 3 goals a game but he's the type of guy with feistyness and willingness to fight that every team needs. He won't be ready for a while yet, but he may very well fill out a bottom six role.

Rodin gets a lot of support around here, and I don't really understand it. I'm not the biggest fan of the kid, but I hope he turns out to be that dynamic forward people think he can be.

You've neglected to mention Corrado, a guy who was nominated for the OHL equivalent of the Norris trophy last year. He's a dark horse for sure, but it further adds to our promising prospect pool.

Our prospects pool looks stronger than ever. We don't have guys that make the roster at 18, but we're also a team that drafts in the late 20s every year. We also have a very strong team, which forces a lot of prospects to the minors or to be dealt as was the Grabner case.

Right now, we have Schroeder, Connauton, Kassian, Sweatt, Lack, and Tanev all shining at the AHL level. These guys all have minimum 2 years of pro experience, and will be ready for NHL spots in the near future. Jensen is tied for 2nd in SEL scoring this year, he's facing grown men at 19 and beating them. Another year on Jensen and suddenly we're stacked with home grown talent.

As per the Mallet hate, it's too early to start judging. Mallet earned a spot on the Wolves over guys like Anthony, Archibald, Rai and Tochkin - guys who have had more pro experience. Mallet isn't the guy that's going to score 3 goals a game but he's the type of guy with feistyness and willingness to fight that every team needs. He won't be ready for a while yet, but he may very well fill out a bottom six role.

Rodin gets a lot of support around here, and I don't really understand it. I'm not the biggest fan of the kid, but I hope he turns out to be that dynamic forward people think he can be.

You've neglected to mention Corrado, a guy who was nominated for the OHL equivalent of the Norris trophy last year. He's a dark horse for sure, but it further adds to our promising prospect pool.

Yeah I forgot about Corrado, which is why I edited my post. I really hope the Canucks can land a young blue chipper in a Luongo trade aswell. I guess it could be alot worse as far as the prospect pool go's. I hope Rodin can step it up aswell. He's shown flashes here and there.

I'm starting to get really concerned with Gillis and companies drafting. Other than Hodgson, Shroeder,K-Conn,Guance, and Jensen it looks pretty bleak. I'm glad they managed to nab Tanev, but even now he isn't a sure thing. Apparently the Canucks were going to take Rodin in the first round until Shroeder fell in their lap...... I do believe it was Shroeder, I could be mistaken. I hope I'm wrong, but for the most part it looks pretty bad.

EDIT: I saw the video that mentions that Mallet was about to be taken by another team. I didnt realise teams shared this type of information with each other, seems kind of weird. I also like the Labate and Corrado picks, and I forgot about Justin Mcnally which could become something in the future aswell.

Other than two stud defensemen, four stud forwards, and one stud goaltender? What more do you want on a team that is already stacked with talent?

This team doesn't need alot of top prospects right now because there would be nowhere for them to play anyways. As long as we have a top prospect for every position, this team will be fine. By the time the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows are done, guys like Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, and Schroeder will likely be ready to step into top roles.

Rodin is a great offensive talent that really doesn't get as much recognition as he should. Of the 3 Swedes taken just ahead of him in his draft (Jarnkrok, Lander, Silfverberg), I have a feeling he will be the best one. He's got a great mix of speed and stick handling, and has a great wrister. He may be on the small side, but he still has time to bulk up. Give him time, he will be an NHLer.

Grenier and Mallet may have been able to be taken later, but they may not have. If there was no one better than them available at that spot, why not take them before someone else does? If the Canucks scouts were high on these players, you just have to trust them.

Oh, and it's Patrick McNally, who is a top college defenseman playing for Harvard. He often gets forgotten behind guys like Tanev and Connauton, but given time will likely be just as good, if not better. His offensive game makes him one of the top PP QB's in all of college hockey.

Other than two stud defensemen, four stud forwards, and one stud goaltender? What more do you want on a team that is already stacked with talent?

This team doesn't need alot of top prospects right now because there would be nowhere for them to play anyways. As long as we have a top prospect for every position, this team will be fine. By the time the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows are done, guys like Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, and Schroeder will likely be ready to step into top roles.

Rodin is a great offensive talent that really doesn't get as much recognition as he should. Of the 3 Swedes taken just ahead of him in his draft (Jarnkrok, Lander, Silfverberg), I have a feeling he will be the best one. He's got a great mix of speed and stick handling, and has a great wrister. He may be on the small side, but he still has time to bulk up. Give him time, he will be an NHLer.

Grenier and Mallet may have been able to be taken later, but they may not have. If there was no one better than them available at that spot, why not take them before someone else does? If the Canucks scouts were high on these players, you just have to trust them.

Oh, and it's Patrick McNally, who is a top college defenseman playing for Harvard. He often gets forgotten behind guys like Tanev and Connauton, but given time will likely be just as good, if not better. His offensive game makes him one of the top PP QB's in all of college hockey.

Agreed with most of your post, but you did you forget that Cannata was drafted by MG as well in the 6th round? A lot of people are calling him a steal and can even be better than Schneider / Thomas. When he played for the Wolves last year I believe he stole a couple of games.

One was a 38 save performance and the other was a 44 save performance. Both of those shut out bids were ruined late in the 3rd period.

Just plain wrong on Rodin, he's fighting for 3rd behind Jarnkrok and silfverberg, probably tied with lander. Based on nhl likely hood and ceiling he's well below those 2

My Bad, Patrick Mcnally. He's such an unknown I forgot his first name LOL

Sure Rodin might have a 50/50 shot at the NHL but better than Silfverberg?!? Take off those glasses, or at least polish em a bit!

really hard to judge rodin he is almost 2 years behind in his training, he had a serious shoulder problem that prevented him from shooting without pain and training his upper body. think it had to do with his growth plate or some such.

Love the feistiness he showed at the world juniors if he can recapture and project that into the pro game he will be just fine.

Mallet looked okay in a limited role in his first game - didnt really notice him besides a few defensive plays which i suppose is a good thing for a young player.

Archived