The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

Agreed with most of your post, but you did you forget that Cannata was drafted by MG as well in the 6th round? A lot of people are calling him a steal and can even be better than Schneider / Thomas. When he played for the Wolves last year I believe he stole a couple of games.

One was a 38 save performance and the other was a 44 save performance. Both of those shut out bids were ruined late in the 3rd period.

I definitely haven't forgotten about Cannata. I've been raving about this guy since we drafted him. And I've even said in the past that he has the potential to be better than Schneider when you compare his college accomplishments. I just think that with schneider and Lack being so young, and ahead of him on the depth chart, I don't know how far he'll make it in the Canucks system.

Sure Rodin might have a 50/50 shot at the NHL but better than Silfverberg?!? Take off those glasses, or at least polish em a bit!

Why? Rodin had two years in the SEL and is on his second year in the AHL. He's much more adjusted to the North American game than Silfverberg. Silfverberg is soft, and although Rodin isn't the biggest player, he's willing to get his nose dirty.

Rodin only had 8 less points than him as a 20 year old in the SEL, and had far superior numbers in the SuperElit league as an 18 year old. Not to mention his international numbers are WAY better. After all, he was 2nd in points for Sweden in the world juniors, only behind MPS.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that he's not as good. If he can put on another 15 pounds, he'll be a very dangerous player. He's just working on his consistency, like every other prospect.

Just plain wrong on Rodin, he's fighting for 3rd behind Jarnkrok and silfverberg, probably tied with lander. Based on nhl likely hood and ceiling he's well below those 2

You're basing the comparison on what you believe their potential to be.

I'm basing it on where they are relative to the league they're playing in and the points they've put up.

Neither Jarnkrok or Silfverberg have played more than 1 game in the AHL. They've only managed to produce in the SEL so far, which is a long ways away from the NHL level. All you have to do is see that Alexander Steen is one of that league's top scorers to know that that league is not good for comparing talent.

Rodin has put up points in the AHL, which is as close in terms of skill and playing style to the NHL as you can get. He has already spent a season adjusting to the more physical play, smaller ice surface, and has worked really hard on his defensive game.

I'm not saying he will make the NHL first, because the Canucks have the luxury of being patient with him, unlike Ottawa and Detroit. But I believe he has a better mix of skill and will than either of those two players.

You talking about Calle Jarnkrok? He was drafted in 2010. Rodin in 2009. Not the same draft..

Why would you compare the three? Because they played on the same team in the swedish elite league. Rodin did the worst of the three. So, it's not far fetched to say that Silferberg or Jarnkrok are ahead of Rodin based on potential alone. They'll all go over to North American sooner or later. Hard to give Rodin an advantage just because he's the only one with a year under his belt.

Ottawa may not have a lot of time to be patient, as we've seen Silfverberg already play NHL games but I doubt Detroit is in any hurry to rush anyone.

You talking about Calle Jarnkrok? He was drafted in 2010. Rodin in 2009. Not the same draft..

Why would you compare the three? Because they played on the same team in the swedish elite league. Rodin did the worst of the three. So, it's not far fetched to say that Silferberg or Jarnkrok are ahead of Rodin based on potential alone. They'll all go over to North American sooner or later. Hard to give Rodin an advantage just because he's the only one with a year under his belt.

Ottawa may not have a lot of time to be patient, as we've seen Silfverberg already play NHL games but I doubt Detroit is in any hurry to rush anyone.

Oh right. I think I mixed him and Carl Klingberg up as far as when they were drafted.

Why wouldn't it make sense to compare 3 players that are all about the same age, drafted around the same position, and all played together? If you want to gauge how far Rodin has come, what two better players to compare him to?

Sure they did slightly better than him in the two years seasons that they played together. But both Jarnkrok and Silfverberg got quite a bit more ice time based on Jarnkrok being a center, and Silfverberg being a bigger player for his age. Rodin still put up similar points even though playing mostly third line minutes. And although Rodin is far from being a goon, he is the only one of the 3 that plays with any sort of physical intensity, even if he isn't the biggest guy.

I just see Rodin as having that intensity to go along with his skill that I think will give him the best chance to be a star. I would just like to see that intensity a little more often than he has showed recently.

You're basing the comparison on what you believe their potential to be.

I'm basing it on where they are relative to the league they're playing in and the points they've put up.

Neither Jarnkrok or Silfverberg have played more than 1 game in the AHL. They've only managed to produce in the SEL so far, which is a long ways away from the NHL level. All you have to do is see that Alexander Steen is one of that league's top scorers to know that that league is not good for comparing talent.

Rodin has put up points in the AHL, which is as close in terms of skill and playing style to the NHL as you can get. He has already spent a season adjusting to the more physical play, smaller ice surface, and has worked really hard on his defensive game.

I'm not saying he will make the NHL first, because the Canucks have the luxury of being patient with him, unlike Ottawa and Detroit. But I believe he has a better mix of skill and will than either of those two players.

And Keith Aucoin is a god in the AHL, how's that for comparing talent? The SEL may not be north american hockey, but with all the talented players they pump out year in and out, you have to respect it.

Jarkrok is being labeled as a future top 6 center for Detroit, and has gotten the time to develop properly (you say detroit isn't patient with prospects? really?)

Silfverberg was a cornerstone for his team in sweden and relied on scorer, much like jensen is now

I'm not saying Rodin is bad, I think he could make it as a chris higgins type player that's used in multiple situations and can play on any line, but Silfverberg and Jarnkrok have more skill, and more star potential

Detroit should be anxious now - Detroit isn't Detroit anymore without Lidstrom, and Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen are 34, 32 and 32 going on 33 this year, respectively. I wouldn't say they are in a rush yet, but they really need Jarnkrok to pan out. Only Filppula is a young proven top 6 commodity that will solidify their lineup for 5-10 years.

They do have a padding of maybe 2-3 years, but that's not much time at all because they need Jarnkrok to be dominant in 2-3 years, not just a rookie who's getting his feet wet. Jarnkrok needs to be in the NHL by next season or the year after to have a smooth transition from Datsyuk/Zetterberg era to Filpulla/Jarnkrok era, which, unless Jarnkrok really surprises, will be much less threatening than the current duo. They do have some talent on the wing, but no one down the middle except Jarnkrok.

I agree with you about Rodin though. Silfverberg scored 18G16A34P in 53GP 2 seasons after being drafted, and Jarnkrok 16G23A39P in 53GP 2 seasons after being drafted. Rodin only scored 7G19A26P in 53 games at the same age - so definitely in comparison, the two are better than Rodin at this point.

But we do have Jensen who, 2 seasons after being drafted, has 6G2A8P in 12GP so far in the SEL - and unlike Jarnkrok and Silfverberg who had played in the SEL for 3 years prior, this is Jensen's 1st year in the league. Also, Brynas was a playoff team during those years, while Jensen's team is dead last in the SEL right now. I'd say we have a gem in Jensen who is arguably better or at least equivalent to Silfverberg and/or Jarnkrok in potential.

Detroit should be anxious now - Detroit isn't Detroit anymore without Lidstrom, and Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen are 34, 32 and 32 going on 33 this year, respectively. I wouldn't say they are in a rush yet, but they really need Jarnkrok to pan out. Only Filppula is a young proven top 6 commodity that will solidify their lineup for 5-10 years.

They do have a padding of maybe 2-3 years, but that's not much time at all because they need Jarnkrok to be dominant in 2-3 years, not just a rookie who's getting his feet wet. Jarnkrok needs to be in the NHL by next season or the year after to have a smooth transition from Datsyuk/Zetterberg era to Filpulla/Jarnkrok era, which, unless Jarnkrok really surprises, will be much less threatening than the current duo. They do have some talent on the wing, but no one down the middle except Jarnkrok.

To be fair, most duo's are much less threatening than datsyuk/zetterberg.

they also have Riley Sheahan coming along, could develop into a nice 2 way number 2 center

Rodin played third line minutes, compared to Silfverberg and Jarnkrok's second and first line minutes. Rodin was also used on the PK, and not on the PP like Silfverberg and Jarnkrok.

So it's not as simple as directly comparing stats. Rodin has his own set of skills that make him a more well rounded player than those two. And well rounded players make the NHL more often than one-dimensional ones.

But this thread is about Mallet. If we wanna discuss Rodin we should continue it in the Rodin thread.

To be fair, most duo's are much less threatening than datsyuk/zetterberg.

they also have Riley Sheahan coming along, could develop into a nice 2 way number 2 center

I think I'd be more excited about Nyquist and Tatar than Sheahan, they also have a potential #2-3 dman in smith who is going to be on their roster this year. They do need to make some FA/draft/trade moves but it is possible for Detroit to have a relatively smooth transition.

I think I'd be more excited about Nyquist and Tatar than Sheahan, they also have a potential #2-3 dman in smith who is going to be on their roster this year. They do need to make some FA/draft/trade moves but it is possible for Detroit to have a relatively smooth transition.

Nyquist and Tatar are wingers, that's why I mentioned Sheahan

Why do people always have to look for, or make up downsides?

We are not a desperate team, we have a great roster at present, sure we can always make improvements but as we saw last season we have a team who can take on and beat the best.

I like the fact that these young guys are unknown factors. As far as I can see they all have great qualities and the potential to make it in our team.

There are few drafts who anyone can say "he is a definite NHL star." We pay our scouts to make judgement calls and MG to have the final say. I'm happy with that........in fact a lot happier than having any of CDC make these calls. Hell most people on here can't even see a good player when he is already in the team, never mind newly drafted rookies.

Mallet looks a fair bet to me. A lot of skill, eye for the goal, tough, great team man, quiet off the ice combined with an inner determination to get better and succeed. That will do for me............he is one of us now and I see no gain from moaning about who else we might have picked, we just need to get behind him in the knowledge that he will get every encouragement and chance to make it in this organisation.

I see why they picked Mallet, but taking him ahead of Athanasiou (sp? I'm lazy today) and Severson hurt s little. It reminds me of when we took Honzik- a bad pick we made far too early.

Gillis said that when he drafted Rodin, Gillia was so thrilled with him that he would have taken him in the first round.

We still need time to judge Gillis' drafting I mean look at Burke's drafting in Vancouver only now are we seeing his brilliance in drafting Schneider, kesler...

If takes years to be able to judge. Hodgson so far was a good pick. Kyle Beach who many wanted Gillia to pick is not close to making the NHL.

Good picks:

Hodgson

Good Signings:

Lack- wow- could be a great steal!!!

Tanev- has played in SCF and should be a top 4 dman as early as this year

Late round gems:

Cannat

KConn

McNally

Good picks with bright futures:

Jensen

Gaunce

Jurry still out:

Schroeder

Rodin

Labate

Grenier

Sauve- all tho I think he is more of a bust

Polasek

Andersson

Mallet

Early Bust?

Honzik

Sauve

Froshaug- never tried to cone to NA why???

For ths rest of the 2012 draft class it's too early to tell.

On the upside, we have 4-5 players below age of 24 that may be able to step in as soon as this year, but more likely next year!

Name another team aside from Florida and Edmonton who could introduce 4-5 prospects into their full lineup next year!

Kassian

Jensen

Schroeder

Tanev

KConn

Lack

Schroeder is a maybe and may never make the NHL.

Jensen is a maybe for next year but I feel his chances of being an AHL regular are better than schroeders.

Early Bust?

Honzik

Sauve

Froshaug- never tried to cone to NA why???

For ths rest of the 2012 draft class it's too early to tell.

He was a 6th round pick. I personally don't think there is such a thing as a bust once you get to that point in the draft. All things considered the fact that he's shown enough promise to make you WANT him to come to NA shows that he wasn't a terrible pick... just hasn't worked out as we'd wanted it to.

Archived