527 replies to this topic

#31 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

I am listening... does sound like he is playing a lot, especially for a freshman. What kind of playing style would you say he has? Perhaps a comparable?

honestly, he reminds me a lot of edler but without the cannon (or at least I haven't seen him unload so I can't comment on that)

#32 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

hutton's on the 1st PK unit right now. man, the more i watch him the more he reminds me of a young edler (again, outside of the shot, which I haven't seen from him) he joins the rush from time to time, can throw a big hit here and there (he's a bit more physical than edler was back at his age) but he's calm with the puck and positionally sound.

#33 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

main loses, 1-0 hutton with no points, even +/- and 2 SOG.

he looked solid out there though, and was used in every situation.

Edited by avelanch, 12 October 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#34 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

ben was even with 3 shots and no points in a 5-0 blowout loss against SLU on friday, and was even with 1 shot on goal and no points in a 5-1 loss in the rematch tonight.

#35 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hutton had 1 assist, has 2 shots and was even on the night in last night's 3-2 loss
they play again today at 3:30 pacific
Audio
Live stats

Edited by avelanch, 27 October 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#36 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hutton with his team's only goal so far at the end of the second, they are down 2-1. it was a PPG.

#37 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

hutton assisted on the GWG today, making it a 2 point weekend.

#38 sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

4 points in 11 games is a good start for a freshman D.
Posted Image

#39 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

^ Yep. Good to see.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#40 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

hutton was even on the night, got an assist, and had one shot tonight in a 2-2 draw with Massachusetts.

ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine men's ice hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie with UMass on Friday night at Alfond Arena. The Black Bears got first period goals by Mark Nemec (Rouses Point, NY.) and Jake Rutt (Scarborough, Maine), but the Minutemen scored with an extra attacker at 18:52 of the third period to salvage the tie.

The Black Bears jumped out to 1-0 lead at 7:39 of the first period. Devin Shore (Ajax, Ontario) won the draw back to Nemec. He unleashed a shot from the top of the faceoff circles that beat UMass goalie Kevin Boyle. For Nemec, it was his second goal of the season. Maine added to its lead less than two minutes later when Rutt notched his first collegiate goal. Kyle Beattie (Avondale, Ariz.) got the puck to Ben Hutton (Prescott, Ontario) on the power play. Hutton found Rutt just inside the blueline and he beat Boyle.

UMass pulled to within one goal at 14:54 of the second period with a power play goal by Steven Guzzo. Troy Power and Colin Shea each assisted on the goal.

Conor Allen got what turned out to be the game-tying goal at 18:52 of regulation. Rocco Carzo had the puck behind the net and passed it to the slot. With the extra attacker, Allen was able to gain control of the puck and beat Maine goalie Martin Ouellette (St-Hippolyte, Quebec). Conor Sheary also assisted on the play.

Neither team was able to score during the five minute overtime period.

UMass outshot Maine 32-29 in the game. The Black Bears were 1-for-5 on the power play, while the Minutemen finished 1-for-3 with the man-advantage.

Ouellette stopped 30 shots in goal for the Black Bears. He moves to 1-3-1 on the season. Boyle made 27 saves in goal for UMass and improves to 3-2-1.

Maine moves to 2-9-1 on the season and 1-5-1 in Hockey East play. UMass sees its record go to 3-4-1 overall, 2-4-1 in conference play.

Maine returns to action on Friday, Nov. 30 when it hosts Vermont at 8 PM at Alfond Arena. Tickets are available by calling the Maine ticket office at 207-581-BEAR, 1-800-756-TEAM or online at www.GoBlackBearstickets.com(.) Massachusetts returns to action on Sunday afternoon when it hosts UMass Lowell.

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m-hockey/2012-13/releases/20121116t4ceiw

#41 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Hutton went scoreless with an even rating and 1 shot on net for U of Maine in a 2-1 win over Mercyhurst today.

#42 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

In the 2nd game of a back to back against Mercyhurst, Hutton went scoreless with 7 shots on goal and a -1 rating for U. of Maine in a 5-2 loss.

#43 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

This guy's tied for 3rd in team scoring despite being on an extremely low-scoring team and he being a D-man. We've got something on our hands here IMO.

#44 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hutton went pointless with an even rating and 4 shots on net for U. of Maine in a 1-1 tie with Northeastern.

The one thing I'm really liking about Hutton is he gets a ton of shots on goal for a defenseman. From the few articles and reports I've read, it sounds like he's very, very good manning the point in offensive situations - keeping the puck in at the blueline is something I've heard he's specifically strong at - and he's a natural triggerman who loves to shoot.

#45 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Hutton went scoreless with a -2 rating and 3 shots on goal for U. of Maine in a 6-0 loss to Merrimack.

#46 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Hutton went pointless with an even rating and 4 shots on net for U. of Maine in a 1-1 tie with Northeastern.

The one thing I'm really liking about Hutton is he gets a ton of shots on goal for a defenseman. From the few articles and reports I've read, it sounds like he's very, very good manning the point in offensive situations - keeping the puck in at the blueline is something I've heard he's specifically strong at - and he's a natural triggerman who loves to shoot.

Very nice to hear.

#47 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hutton finished with no points, 2 shots on net and an even rating in a 1-1 final tie with Merrimack today.

#48 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

In the 2nd game of a back to back with Merrimack, Hutton again went scoreless and had 1 shot on net and an even rating for U. of Maine in a 3-2 loss.

#49 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

7 points in 23 games... which is still 5th on his team. Horrendous offence they have on Maine... he's doing well nonetheless.

#50 The Nuckist

The Nuckist

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

He is second on the team for shots with 53 shots in 23 games. I don't know if that has to do with Maine having terrible forwards or Hutton being an great offensively but what also stands out is that he has the highest +/- for defensemen on the team (at -1) with only one forward having a better +/- (+1).
I find that very impressive, especially because he is a freshman, and would love to see what he can do if he played on a better team.
Great 5th round pick MG!
"There are a lot of selfless players on our roster ... I think, to a man, if you asked the guys, they would rather win a game 1-0 than lose a game and get a hat trick. That's the type of guys we have in our room and that's the type of player you need to be successful."
-- Kevin Bieksa

#51 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Hutton was not in the lineup for Maine in their 4-1 win over Boston College today. The Black Bears website, nor the ECAC website, made any mention of why he wasn't in the lineup. Guess we'll have to keep an eye open for news.

#52 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

For the 2nd game in a row, Hutton was not in the lineup for U. of Maine. Maine defeated Boston College 3-1 in the 2nd game of a back to back.

#53 Droj

Droj

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Here is a good article on Hutton's play for Maine:

http://bangordailyne...ne-hockey-team/

A quote from his defensive partner, Mike Cornell:

“I’ve been really impressed with him,” said Maine senior defenseman Mike Cornell, who is Hutton’s defense partner. “He’s going to end up the best of all of us. He has a really, really high ceiling as to what he can become. Right now, he’s only scratching the surface of where he’ll be. He’s naturally gifted.”

#54 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hutton was again missing from Maine's lineup today in a 2-2 final tie with Providence.

Unfortunately I still can't seem to find any info anywhere, although I haven't searched every nook and cranny. I'll dig a bit more tomorrow.

#55 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Hutton was not in the lineup for Maine in their 4-1 win over Boston College today. The Black Bears website, nor the ECAC website, made any mention of why he wasn't in the lineup. Guess we'll have to keep an eye open for news.

For the 2nd game in a row, Hutton was not in the lineup for U. of Maine. Maine defeated Boston College 3-1 in the 2nd game of a back to back.

Hutton was again missing from Maine's lineup today in a 2-2 final tie with Providence.

Unfortunately I still can't seem to find any info anywhere, although I haven't searched every nook and cranny. I'll dig a bit more tomorrow.

Hope this helps :)

Ben Hutton has been out of the lineup due to injury. Here's a quote from release on GoBlackBears.com (from Feb. 1st, 2013):

FILLING IN ON D: What makes Maine's wins over Boston College even more remarkable is that three of its regular defensemen were sidelined with injuries and did not play in the series. Nick Pryor, Brice O'Connor and Ben Hutton were all sidelined during the series.

http://www.goblackbe.../20130129aaw5w1

Not sure what the nature of Hutton's injury is, however.

#56 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

Hope this helps :)

Ben Hutton has been out of the lineup due to injury. Here's a quote from release on GoBlackBears.com (from Feb. 1st, 2013):

http://www.goblackbe.../20130129aaw5w1

Not sure what the nature of Hutton's injury is, however.

Lol, wow, right on the Maine website. I looked there last week and didn't see anything so I guess I assumed I wouldn't find anything helpful this time around. Thanks though!

#57 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

Lol, wow, right on the Maine website. I looked there last week and didn't see anything so I guess I assumed I wouldn't find anything helpful this time around. Thanks though!

YW. Found this also (from the Bangor Daily News preview for the last game vs. Providence):

Game notes: Maine will be without freshman defenseman Ben Hutton (upper-body injury)

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/31/sports/whitehead-umaine-must-get-more-second-shots-than-opponents-in-weekend-series/

Sounds like maybe a shoulder injury, if I was going to hazzard a guess, or something similar. The game notes listed concussions and broken fingers for other injured players so "upper body" most likely means something in the upper torso (and not the NHL playoffs version where "upper body" is a vague reference to anything above the waist).

#58 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Here is a good article on Hutton's play for Maine:

http://bangordailyne...ne-hockey-team/

A quote from his defensive partner, Mike Cornell:

“I’ve been really impressed with him,” said Maine senior defenseman Mike Cornell, who is Hutton’s defense partner. “He’s going to end up the best of all of us. He has a really, really high ceiling as to what he can become. Right now, he’s only scratching the surface of where he’ll be. He’s naturally gifted.”

Thanks for sharing. Very nice to hear.

#59 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

BTW, Hutton was still out of the lineup for Maine's game yesterday.

#60 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

At last, Hutton was dressed for Maine in last night's 3-3 final tie with Boston University. He went scoreless, put 4 shots on net and finished with an even rating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.