The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wesley Myron Talk

Samk

NHL draft: Grizzlies' Wes Myron is living his Canucks dream

As a boy, Wes Myron grew up a Vancouver Canucks fan hoping, like many youngsters, to one day become one.

Well, that process officially started on Saturday morning as the National Hockey League club made the Victoria Grizzlies' centreman their 177th pick overall in Round 6 of the annual Entry Draft.

"It's pretty exciting belonging to the local team, but it also adds a bit more pressure, too, and there will be a lot more people watching. I'm shocked. It still hasn't sunk in," Myron said early Saturday morning as he was with friends and family at a cabin at Shawnigan Lake.

"My sister's boyfriend was on the laptop, and he let me know. I had to do a double take, looking at the screen. It's so exciting."

The soon-to-be 20-year-old was a longshot to be selected, but his impressive numbers in the early going of the B.C. Hockey League season caught the eye of more than one scout. Unfortunately, a shoulder injury hampered his progress in December, but he still managed 42 points in 26 games.

He also helped Team Canada West to a gold medal at the World Junior A Championship.

It was more than enough to make Myron the first B.C. player drafted by the province's NHL team in four years.

"I had talked to them in the last few days. You just never know, especially being a 19-year-old and with the amount of games I played," he said.

"For someone to realize the potential in me and that they want to invest in me as a future player is pretty special.

"I think they looked at what I did and projected it over the entire season."

Myron, who is heading off to Boston University, underwent shoulder surgery and recovered brilliantly. He talked with Canucks officials after being selected on Saturday, receiving their congratulations.

"It's really exciting for me and my family," he said. "We'll probably just let it all sink in, and then it's right back to the hard work."

As thrilling as it was for Myron, it was the exact opposite for his former Grizzlies linemate Wade Murphy, who was rated 142nd overall among North American skaters but was not selected over the seven rounds of the draft.

"He congratulated me, and I was waiting to hear on him," said Myron. "But he has a bright future, for sure."

"It's disappointing. I had high hopes that it would happen, but that's all right," said Murphy, who still has two more draft years to go through. "It got down to the sixth and seventh rounds, and it gets kind of nerve-racking, with just 60 picks left."

Having watched his good friend Myron selected in the sixth round, there were many who hoped Murphy would join him with the Canucks' seventh-round selection. It never happened.

"I'm so happy for Wes. It's awesome," said Murphy. "He's one of my best friends, and I am so proud of him.

"That would have been a good story. It would have been real special," admitted Murphy, who fitted extremely well on Myron's right side before the injury occurred.

Murphy was then traded to Penticton, where he won a league title, the Doyle Cup and RBC Cup with the Vees.

Myron was one of five B.C. Hockey League products to be selected.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/draft+Grizzlies+Myron+living+Canucks+dream/6831954/story.html

Archived