Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Niloc009

Nick Ebert's Meteoric Fall

20 posts in this topic

Nick-Ebert.jpg

Ranked 8th by Bob McKenzie in September

Ranked 70th at the Midterm by ISS

Ranked 96th in the Final ISS Rankings for NA skaters

Drafted 211th by the Los Angeles Kings

2010-11 Stats: 64 games, 11 goals, 30 assists with Windsor

2011-12 Stats: 66 games, 6 goals, 33 assists with Windsor

In September he was hailed as America's top NHL draft-eligible prospect. What happened to this guy?

Can't believe Gillis didn't take a chance on him. He has the potential to be the real steal of the draft (late round gem).

Can't believe Gillis didn't take a chance on him. He has the potential to be the real steal of the draft (late round gem).

So does Beattie though, both were originally ranked MUCH higher than they were picked.

So does Beattie though, both were originally ranked MUCH higher than they were picked.

Instead, we wasted a 2nd round pick on an overager who has a 3rd line ceiling. Keep in mind, it was our only immediate pick after the first round (we were missing 3rd and fourth round)

The Alexandre Mallet pick should have either been done later or not at all.

Maybe MG saw something we don't, and was worried another GM saw it too? I am excited about Mallet, if he turns out anything like Burr I will be very happy.

Scouts say he regressed a lot this year, and his stock was buoyed in 2010-11 by playing with Predators prospect Ryan Ellis (IIRC). I think there were some attitude issues as well.

And that, I think, is the biggest issue. An organization can work around a player's talent shortcomings and still make him successful. But for that to happen the player really has to committ himself to his craft. Cory Schneider was complacent and didn't have a good work ethic but his attitude was very professional which is why Scott Arniel was able to work with him and groom into the goalie he is today.

I don't have a problem taking a chance on prospects but not if they have attitude issues. More often than not, those issues hinder their progress until eventually they just fall off the grid.

I'm surprised we didn't take Ebert.

But Beattie seems decent, though he is only playing High School hockey he still put up insane numbers. And now that he will head to Collage hockey hopefully his production doesn't disappear and he still puts up decent #'s.

And I also like the Mallet pick, although there may have been other good options, we should have taken Daniil Zharkov and then have a duo of him and Gaunce, since Zharkov is a big offensive force.

All I heard for the past few seasons is how fans were saying we didn't have enough grit and toughness. Then we use a 2nd rounder to address that people think the team screwed up?

All I heard for the past few seasons is how fans were saying we didn't have enough grit and toughness. Then we use a 2nd rounder to address that people think the team screwed up?

theres a reason why he was drafted last overall. That reason we don't know, lets not Question Gillis like we know everything. If knew the reason why he was not drafted until the last pick, we will then probably agree.

theres a reason why he was drafted last overall. That reason we don't know, lets not Question Gillis like we know everything. If knew the reason why he was not drafted until the last pick, we will then probably agree.

You don't draft players to address current needs, that's what free agency and trades are for

Are you stupid? You don't get a player like getzlaf/clowe/backes/etc. through free agency, you get them through the draft. Those players aren't available through F/A, and you have to have some real assets to make a trade for one.