Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Nick Ebert's Meteoric Fall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,787 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image

Ranked 8th by Bob McKenzie in September
Ranked 70th at the Midterm by ISS
Ranked 96th in the Final ISS Rankings for NA skaters
Drafted 211th by the Los Angeles Kings

2010-11 Stats: 64 games, 11 goals, 30 assists with Windsor
2011-12 Stats: 66 games, 6 goals, 33 assists with Windsor

In September he was hailed as America's top NHL draft-eligible prospect. What happened to this guy?

Edited by Niloc009, 23 June 2012 - 11:17 AM.

zuhwS.gif

#2 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,773 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

Can't believe Gillis didn't take a chance on him. He has the potential to be the real steal of the draft (late round gem).

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#3 Chimon

Chimon

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

What happened to this guy?

Scouts say he regressed a lot this year, and his stock was buoyed in 2010-11 by playing with Predators prospect Ryan Ellis (IIRC). I think there were some attitude issues as well.

Edited by Chimon, 23 June 2012 - 11:36 AM.

CDC STHS Hockey League
2016-17 medium.png: NE Division Leader (45-25-12) | AHL President's Trophy (56-14-6)

2015-16 medium.pngNE Division Leader (45-29-8), EC Quarterfinals | DNQ (33-35-8)
2014-15 medium.pngNE Division Leader (50-25-7), EC Finals | AHL President's Trophy (48-19-9)

2013-14 medium.png: Stanley Cup Finalist (41-28-13) | AHL Division Leader (45-19-8)

2012-13 medium.png: President's Trophy (52-24-6), WC Quarterfinals | AHL Calder Cup (51-18-7)

#4 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

Can't believe Gillis didn't take a chance on him. He has the potential to be the real steal of the draft (late round gem).

So does Beattie though, both were originally ranked MUCH higher than they were picked.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#5 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Instead, we wasted a 2nd round pick on an overager who has a 3rd line ceiling. Keep in mind, it was our only immediate pick after the first round (we were missing 3rd and fourth round)

The Alexandre Mallet pick should have either been done later or not at all.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#6 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,632 posts

So does Beattie though, both were originally ranked MUCH higher than they were picked.

And why exactly did the Canucks use a 2nd round pick to pick an overager in the Q?

#7 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,773 posts

True. Beattie was ranked a lot higher as well, I just would've like Ebert more.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#8 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

Instead, we wasted a 2nd round pick on an overager who has a 3rd line ceiling. Keep in mind, it was our only immediate pick after the first round (we were missing 3rd and fourth round)

The Alexandre Mallet pick should have either been done later or not at all.

Maybe MG saw something we don't, and was worried another GM saw it too? I am excited about Mallet, if he turns out anything like Burr I will be very happy.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#9 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Maybe MG saw something we don't, and was worried another GM saw it too? I am excited about Mallet, if he turns out anything like Burr I will be very happy.

I'm hoping it is the case but right now, with a lack of information, and a few players picked immediately behind Mallet, if Toughness was the key trait in picking this guy, this was a really bad pick, considering we had no other picks afterward till the 5th round.

#10 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,292 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

Scouts say he regressed a lot this year, and his stock was buoyed in 2010-11 by playing with Predators prospect Ryan Ellis (IIRC). I think there were some attitude issues as well.

And that, I think, is the biggest issue. An organization can work around a player's talent shortcomings and still make him successful. But for that to happen the player really has to committ himself to his craft. Cory Schneider was complacent and didn't have a good work ethic but his attitude was very professional which is why Scott Arniel was able to work with him and groom into the goalie he is today.

I don't have a problem taking a chance on prospects but not if they have attitude issues. More often than not, those issues hinder their progress until eventually they just fall off the grid.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#11 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,537 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'm surprised we didn't take Ebert.

But Beattie seems decent, though he is only playing High School hockey he still put up insane numbers. And now that he will head to Collage hockey hopefully his production doesn't disappear and he still puts up decent #'s.

And I also like the Mallet pick, although there may have been other good options, we should have taken Daniil Zharkov and then have a duo of him and Gaunce, since Zharkov is a big offensive force.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 23 June 2012 - 01:51 PM.

zackass.png

#12 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Perhaps scouts were giving him two thumbs down.
The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#13 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,575 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

All I heard for the past few seasons is how fans were saying we didn't have enough grit and toughness. Then we use a 2nd rounder to address that people think the team screwed up?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#14 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

All I heard for the past few seasons is how fans were saying we didn't have enough grit and toughness. Then we use a 2nd rounder to address that people think the team screwed up?

I believe people were hoping we would draft Samuelsson. The name alone made him worth drafting, as it would either conjure up memories of the Neely-bruiser or "We -- eughhhh, ugh, eughhh."
The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#15 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

This years Steven Anthony?

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#16 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

theres a reason why he was drafted last overall. That reason we don't know, lets not Question Gillis like we know everything. If knew the reason why he was not drafted until the last pick, we will then probably agree.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#17 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:35 AM

theres a reason why he was drafted last overall. That reason we don't know, lets not Question Gillis like we know everything. If knew the reason why he was not drafted until the last pick, we will then probably agree.

I'm not replying to argue your post.

Just a fun fact: Sami Salo was drafted last (or 2nd/3rd last) overall in his draft.
Posted Image

#18 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

You don't draft players to address current needs, that's what free agency and trades are for

Bring Back the Totems!

#19 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

You don't draft players to address current needs, that's what free agency and trades are for

Are you stupid? You don't get a player like getzlaf/clowe/backes/etc. through free agency, you get them through the draft. Those players aren't available through F/A, and you have to have some real assets to make a trade for one.
Posted Image

#20 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Are you stupid? You don't get a player like getzlaf/clowe/backes/etc. through free agency, you get them through the draft. Those players aren't available through F/A, and you have to have some real assets to make a trade for one.

guys like Getzlaf/clowe/Backes aren't unranked the entire year in the draft. If you think Mallet will be a guy like one of those, tell me when you get back from lunch so we can talk reasonably

The draft is about getting the best 18-year-olds into your system, not the unranked passed over 19 and 20 year olds that Gillis apparently loves

Bring Back the Totems!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.