Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 11 votes

Let's face it. The Canucks don't have the assets or the management to make a bold move.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
232 replies to this topic

#31 KicKassian

KicKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

For me personally, President's Trophies are mediocre, I don't know about you guys but I would much rather be a low seed in the regular season and have a deep playoff run, than a high seed and short playoff run.

Id take either and win the cup

#32 SheaWeber6

SheaWeber6

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

What is the point of making a bold move if the team is already a powerhouse?

Seriously, people here on CDC gotta learn to think twice before making these kinds of pointless threads, tell me if I am wrong, but this is just another useless thread that really gives no help to anyone, I will make it clear:

WE ARE A POWERHOUSE! THERE IS NO NEED TO MAKE A BOLD MOVE.

#33 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

Canucks have made bold moves... Hodgson trade, Booth trade, Ehrhoff trade (trade for), Ballard trade, Hamhuis signing... the list goes on.

This management group is one of the best ever. Am I the only one that remembers Nonis' last season wherein the July 1st pick up was Brad Isbister and the deadline deal was for Matt Pettinger... I'm not convinced either of these players would have made the current Wolves roster.

Gillis is a hustler, show some respect.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#34 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

yeah, people are so short-sighted... the bold moves were already made in putting the team together as is...

trades at deadline:
Higgins, Lapierre

to add solid complementary pieces going forward
Kassian/ M.A.G., Booth, Ballard

free agent frenzy signings
Manny and Hammer

that's 40% of the team's roster right there that was acquired only recently in moves by management... what were you saying OP?

you can't expect every deal to go your way, but with their history of making moves it's unjustifiable and shows lack of thought put into your idea to say that M.G. won't make moves... he's build around the successful core. If you can't understand that then complain all you want but you'll never be satisfied. Go cheer for a team that had a healthy head start like the Penguins/ Hawks. :picard:

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#35 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Let's face it. You need to lay off the pipe.

#36 SpursCanuck

SpursCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

I just hope that something happens soon. I'm sick and tired of goalie trading threads. I just want the madness to end.

Get used to it...Luongo ain't getting traded soon.

Edited by SpursCanuck, 23 June 2012 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image

#37 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

Here is an example of uninformative you are. Gills straight up already said if anyone offer sheets Schnieder they will match no matter what. So we then trade a goalie who are both under contract which might generate better deals for Schnieder who is under a contract, which gives the other team security if they want to deal for him.

I'm not sure I'm accurate but from my understanding a team could force Gillis to match a high price offer, and cap hit, for Schneider. Say....$15 million 3 year contract. If that happened teams would know that Gillis is even MORE desperate to trade Luongo because he wouldn't like the $10.5 million cap hit for the goaltending position.

Teams have Gillis by the gonads no matter what. Should have traded Lu, our second best goalie at that time, at the trade deadline, gotten a veteran power forward or impact D going into the playoffs, kept Cody for scoring for the post season and used him for trade bait right now. No danger of having to match a high end offer for Schneids either.

#38 pghockeyguy

pghockeyguy

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

I hate this constant Gillis talk about having all summer to trade Lou. Everyday he isn't traded is more time for the other teams to fill their needs through other avenues. The ideal situation is trading Lou pre july 1st so that we know exactly what our cap situation will be like. Prime example was yesterday, Stall doesn't want to resign in Pitty....Boom next day traded. Gillis is just dragging this out and could eventually run out of time or buyers. This isn't a 25 year old Loungo that will fetch you great returns, the most important thing is we get out of the discusting contract so we can lock up schnieder and sign some pieces and have room to re up edler and burrows and consider weber the following year.

#39 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

Last season, the presidents trophy was gifted wrapped to the Canucks. It's like they only wanted the presidents trophy. And that's exactly why I said mediocrity.

Thanks for proving my point.

Regular season if the canucks were mediocre and won the presidents trophy then the rest of the league was not just mediocre but pathetic. Playoffs were another story yes the team played mediocre and you cant win the SC with Mediocre.

#40 juwanski

juwanski

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

OP is a troll and a retard, simple. also Lus contract isn't bad like u people always say, stop believing everything the media spoon feeds you. The NHL stopped these contracts cuz it gave an unfair advantage to teams that could afford it and the worse part of his contract is over. Thus any decent financial team doesnt even consider the contract as a problem. Also once he starts making less money than his 5.3mill anual salary teams like Tamp, Florida, Phoenix, Nashville... will be drooling all over his contract(especially since his NTC is no longer in effect then). So you people need to CALM the &^%# down and just wait it out as see what happens. Personally i'm waiting to see how Jensen and Brenden do in prospects camp.

#41 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,024 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

Right now the whole league knows that Canucks need to trade loungo otherwise Schneider walks. But the problem is loungos horrid contract. He's no longer elite, if he was we wouldn't trade him.

Look at penguins, they just got rid of Stall.

Again, the fans will have to watch mediocrity for next season.

If you think back to back presidents cups is mediocrity you haven't been a fan long. You should try going through a season where the team is losing far more often than winning. Then you'd actually have something to cry about.
Posted Image

#42 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

Bold Move or Dumb Move which would you prefer?
Posted Image

#43 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Right now the whole league knows that Canucks need to trade loungo otherwise Schneider walks. But the problem is loungos horrid contract. He's no longer elite, if he was we wouldn't trade him.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I wish the Canucks had finished last year after year after year to get a bunch of high picks.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#44 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Sphincter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Remember when this team used to suck?

Yeah, you don't.
Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#45 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

If you think back to back presidents cups is mediocrity you haven't been a fan long. You should try going through a season where the team is losing far more often than winning. Then you'd actually have something to cry about.

Can you give me some advice on lasting here? You've been a member since 2003, how have you not put your head through your monitor reading the stupidity that rolls out of this place day after day?
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#46 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Lets face it, you dont have the intellect or the creativity to make a decent thread

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#47 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

I thought Luongo would have been gone by yesterday. At least one of them. But the fact of the matter is they have all summer to move one of them. Keeping both by the start of the season would be stupid.
Posted Image

#48 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I wish the Canucks had finished last year after year after year to get a bunch of high picks.

Posted Image

#49 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

Can you give me some advice on lasting here? You've been a member since 2003, how have you not put your head through your monitor reading the stupidity that rolls out of this place day after day?

Simply register at the following site:
http://hfboards.hock...isplay.php?f=36

Who would have thought waiting for the correct deal to come around (like Patty White for Ehrhoff) would cause so many damn threads.

#50 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted Image

We could trade Staal!!!

#51 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,372 posts

Look at penguins, they just got rid of Stall. .

Luongo is still elite, problem is so is Schneider.The whole league knows Gillis can keep Both goaltenders if he doesn't get the right deal also. So do they want to gamble that Gillis will bend first and risk their season and risk another team gets Luongo? Gillis has all the leverage, The Puppet Master.

Edited by playboi19, 23 June 2012 - 01:34 PM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#52 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

The mediocrity that has landed us two consecutive president's trophies with a strong possibility to be the first team to win three consecutive in the history of the NHL?

Ok.

I hate people who use the President's Trophy as justification that this is a good team. All it means is that we have a great regular season team and I could care less about that. That President's Trophy didn't seem to help us get past the LA Kings...

Another great regular season team most years is the Sharks. How far do they normally go in the playoffs again?

Edited by Hafizzle, 23 June 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#53 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

Simply register at the following site:
http://hfboards.hock...isplay.php?f=36

Who would have thought waiting for the correct deal to come around (like Patty White for Ehrhoff) would cause so many damn threads.

Love your marked words.

#54 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,372 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

I hate people who use the President's Trophy as justification that this is a good team. All it means is that we have a great regular season team and I could care less about that. That President's Trophy didn't seem to help us get past the LA Kings...

Another great regular season team most years is the Sharks. How far do they normally go in the playoffs again?

Our best player was Concussed.
Take Brown out of LA line-up we win.

Subbancopy.jpg

#55 stanley2012

stanley2012

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

The mediocrity that has landed us two consecutive president's trophies with a strong possibility to be the first team to win three consecutive in the history of the NHL?

Ok.

really? he gets 11 likes for this? How did LA finish? I've been a Canucks fan my entire life and laugh when I hear statements like this. Back with the WCE when we got knocked out of the playoffs... "well we had 104 points so we had a good year"

2 presidents trophies in a row, cool. Out of the teams that have won it in consecutive years being Edmonton, Calgary, Detroit, and Vancouver we are the team that has choked the hardest. While Detroit didn't win the cup either of those years their 11 Stanley Cup's with 6 President's trophy far outweigh our meaningless 2 Presidents Trophy's with ZERO stanley cups!

Hurray for dominating during the regular season and choking when it counts. Unless something changes drastically in the next few years we will be known as one of the best teams in recent history that could never get it done when it counted most.

#56 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

I'm not sure I'm accurate but from my understanding a team could force Gillis to match a high price offer, and cap hit, for Schneider. Say....$15 million 3 year contract. If that happened teams would know that Gillis is even MORE desperate to trade Luongo because he wouldn't like the $10.5 million cap hit for the goaltending position.

Teams have Gillis by the gonads no matter what. Should have traded Lu, our second best goalie at that time, at the trade deadline, gotten a veteran power forward or impact D going into the playoffs, kept Cody for scoring for the post season and used him for trade bait right now. No danger of having to match a high end offer for Schneids either.

Pretty unlikely any team would offer 5 mil a year for Schneider at this point in his career. That's elite goalie money and he's still largely unproven. Far more likely would be 3-3.5 mil a year tops and Gillis would for sure match that.

Edited by Hafizzle, 23 June 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#57 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

The team (Vancouver) would have had to score goals to win. Even with Brown out of LA's lineup I can't see the Canucks lighting them up.

#58 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

You know what? Dave Nonis performed highway robbery to get Luongo here in the first place. I would say Luongo is one of the top 10 Canucks to have the most positive impact on our team over the past 30 years. And in case of TML, I believe he could single handedly turn that team around, so if you were MG why would you just give that asset away to a competitor? He is worth alot to our team and any new team he plays for.

If Luongo does get traded, I personally hope Gillis makes a great deal with any team besides the Leafs, because I think Burke needs a reality check!
Posted Image

#59 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Ok.

That possibility for three in a row is not strong, not with Kesler out for the first 20-30 games and again not in shape for the rest of the season, and not with no third line centre - sorry, half-pint Schroeder, 70th in AHL scoring, does NOT count. If they do it with that big hole, man my hat's off to them - but I do not see it, too much to overcome.

#60 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

They beat us in every aspect of the game. Their goaltending was better (not that ours was bad), their defence was much better, and even if they didn't have Brown their offence was better.

Perhaps if Danny played the whole series and Brown was out then we would have taken it to 6 but I still don't see us winning. All of the LA players consistently stepped up every game whereas Vancouver has never been able to figure out how to do that.

At the end of the day, excuses are excuses and we still got dominated by a much better team. Just goes to prove that regular season and President's Trophies mean absolutely nothing.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.