Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Article] Canucks Shopped Gragnani, also News on Nash, Schneider, Parise, Luongo + tons more.

Rumour

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#61 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hopefully the Gragnani part isn't true. If they shop him after only 14 games played in Van, I would send a huge facepalm to the Canucks scouts.
AV, a few days after the Hodgson trade: "My scouts told me Kassian is a top 6 winger now".
Gillis, after the Hodgson trade: "We've been targeting Gragnani since last year".

Geez man. MAG's is a project. If you watched the draft they tied a record for d-man picked in the first round. Obviously a market. MG shopped MAG because of that market and what might have been available in return. Doing his job.

#62 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,650 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

I would expect Gillis to be busy July 1st. Even with Raymond and Schneider signed he should have around 10 million to spend.

And if he plans on trading Luongo and possibly upgrading Raymond in the top 6, he could have upwards of 16 million to play with.

That's enough space to add at least two top 6 defencemen, and get a top 6 forward.

You have to chuckle a bit at all the BS flying around. Meanwhile back at the ranch Gillis is checking on the herd as he hears rustlers are out.

Gillis has been talking to multiple clubs and I assume is establishing parameters with other GM's on where he is willing to go. That in itself will create an atmosphere for potential deals. As you rightly pointed out Van's biggest need is for a top 6 left winger, preferably with size, and a right side dman, preferably with size. Combine that with a Schultz and Schneider signing and the boys deserve a round of pops.

Van's biggest trade chip is Lou but Ballard also enters the equation. Fans are quick to downgrade Ballard but his competition is Hamhuis and Edler so do opposing GM's discount him for not climbing the Van left side depth chart. I think not.

It all amounts to a busy week ahead and when moves start they could move very quickly.

#63 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

I still think leaving Florida its big name youngsters and taking three prospects can work for both sides.Petrovic,Howden,Bjugstad.

#64 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hmm shopping Gragnani. Wonder why, he didnt seem to play that bad. In my opinion he shows some potential. I mean, he isn't going to be a Lidstrom or Neidermayer, but still I thought he was a decent depth d-man who could play a 5/6th d-man next season. Oh well, Tanev continues to progress and get better so if we don't keep Gragnani it's not the worst (although cue the 'terrible Hodgson trade' threads again....)

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#65 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

It's fine we shop MAG imo. He's an offensive quarterback, but I'll assume that Edler will take that spot. Tanev looks very good for his limited playtime during the season. If he learns to use the body, work on his slapper... good things shall come.

#66 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Top 6 LW??? :picard:

LW depth chart ? Danny/Burrows/Booth/Higgins/Raymond even our top prospect Jensen. Possibly 6 capable of playing on a top line 1 or line 2!

In reality our best RW is actually a 185 lb LW (Burrows) which leaves the line smallish and forces AV to shelter the Twins from any two way play. We would desperately like a big RW who deos the dirty work for the Sedins as Burrows does who can at least keeps up.

RW depth chart Hansen/Kassian (who is still a prospect, point of fact)/Weise and nobody to speak of ready on the farm. Archibald? Hopefully Bitz is signed and we can add him back into that list? Really no RW ideal (atm) for a top 2 line role.

Our biggest need is Right D, but RW is not far behind at all!

You have to chuckle a bit at all the BS flying around. Meanwhile back at the ranch Gillis is checking on the herd as he hears rustlers are out.

Gillis has been talking to multiple clubs and I assume is establishing parameters with other GM's on where he is willing to go. That in itself will create an atmosphere for potential deals. As you rightly pointed out Van's biggest need is for a top 6 left winger, preferably with size, and a right side dman, preferably with size. Combine that with a Schultz and Schneider signing and the boys deserve a round of pops.

Van's biggest trade chip is Lou but Ballard also enters the equation. Fans are quick to downgrade Ballard but his competition is Hamhuis and Edler so do opposing GM's discount him for not climbing the Van left side depth chart. I think not.

It all amounts to a busy week ahead and when moves start they could move very quickly.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 24 June 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#67 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

LOL shopping Grags... why bother? He's a low-end prospect... It's like shopping Rahimi... who does Gillis think he'll get? Ehrhoff?

Edited by Joe_Shmo, 24 June 2012 - 05:37 PM.

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#68 nucksnavsfan

nucksnavsfan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

He didn't ask for a trade, he said he's willing to be traded if the teams chooses that option. He's actually being quite professional about it so far.

Thank you I was thinking I was the only one who actually listened to what Luongo was saying during that exit interview. Everyone is all indignant that he asked for a trade, when in fact he said that he would waive his NTC if it was what the team wanted, he'll do what's best for the TEAM, I also thought that he was being extremely professional. It would be hard I would think for him to come back and play in the fall if no trade gets done, hopefully Gillis gest a deal done soon, easier on all involved.

I would kinda like to see what Gragnani looks like this season , a lot of times players who come to a team at the deadline never seem to catch onto the teams style right away he might look pretty good at camp and I liked how excited he was to come to the Canucks when he was asked following the announcement of his being traded.
Posted Image Go Canucks Go Posted Image

I should change my name now that Sakic has retired but I'm too lazy ..... he was the only reason for the avs part .... goodbye and good luck Burnaby Joe !

#69 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

LOL shopping Grags... why bother? He's a low-end prospect... It's like shopping Rahimi... who does Gillis think he'll get? Ehrhoff?

Actually Gragnani is a great defensive project. He's clearly got a lot of work to do but we would be dumb to give up on him. Rahimi's best season in the AHL had him putting up 6 points in 58 games. MAG's best season had him putting up 60 points in 63 games. Pretty hard to give up on that. I'm not saying that AHL success guarantees NHL success, but the Canucks would be dumb to give up on him already.

#70 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

lol nobody wants Gragnani
Posted Image

#71 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

I don't think it matters if Luongo is okay with sticking around.

He's the one that asked for a trade. If he wants out that bad, he should include more teams on his list.

....I'd be interested in seeing the proof he asked for a trade.Saying he'll waive his NTC if that's what they want,isn't the same as asking for a trade.Not even close !

#72 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

....I'd be interested in seeing the proof he asked for a trade.Saying he'll waive his NTC if that's what they want,isn't the same as asking for a trade.Not even close !

This. I don't understand why so many people fail to see the difference between agreeing to waive his NTC if it's what the team wants vs demanding a trade like Heatley did.

I think everyone knows that Luongo wants out but to his credit he's handled all of this very professionally.

#73 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Gragnani hasn’t been given a qualying offer yet by the Canucks. If he isn’t by Monday’s 5 pm ET deadline, he’ll turn UFA July 1.

It sounds like Pierre LeBrun hadn't head about it yet, so he's guess he hadn't received a qualifying offer.

Posted Image

#74 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,863 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

Uhh..It was Hodgson and Sulzer for Kassian and Gragnani.

no
it was Sulzer for Gragnani
and then Hodgson for Kassian.

#75 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,554 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

????

Rahimi was a borderline ECHL player. Gragnani was one of the youngest (youngest since Kronwal anyway) to win the AHL best defenseman award. He also has 25 points in 81 NHL games and is a + player, not too shabby for a rookie defenseman.
Sig too big.

#76 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,650 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Top 6 LW??? :picard:

LW depth chart ? Danny/Burrows/Booth/Higgins/Raymond even our top prospect Jensen. Possibly 6 capable of playing on a top line 1 or line 2!

In reality our best RW is actually a 185 lb LW (Burrows) which leaves the line smallish and forces AV to shelter the Twins from any two way play. We would desperately like a big RW who deos the dirty work for the Sedins as Burrows does who can at least keeps up.

RW depth chart Hansen/Kassian (who is still a prospect, point of fact)/Weise and nobody to speak of ready on the farm. Archibald? Hopefully Bitz is signed and we can add him back into that list? Really no RW ideal (atm) for a top 2 line role.

Our biggest need is Right D, but RW is not far behind at all!

Because of the point production from the 1st line I am giving them a pass as their game is based on puck possession. I am talking left wing for the Kessler line and assuming that Booth will develop consistancy on the right side. Once again the big issue last playoffs was the lack of production on the 2nd line. Kesler was injured and that is how it goes sometimes. As mentioned earlier I see that 2nd line as a part puck possession and part banger line. A big left winger who can battle in the corners and set up the other two infront of the net sounds good to me.

#77 diven73

diven73

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

no
it was Sulzer for Gragnani
and then Hodgson for Kassian.

Do you have a source for this? According to TSN it was a single transaction. http://www.tsn.ca/tr...ature/?id=11986
Even if they were officially separate I can't imagine they were made without consideration of both.
Regardless I consider giving up on Gragnani now seems like a waste, even if I felt he was a large defensive liability last season and seemed to roam around aimlessly in the offensive zone at time as well.

#78 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,762 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

If we brought Grags back this year, he'd be trying out as a forward.

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#79 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

Well if Anaheim has given up on Hiller, and Luongo's willing to go there...

No, never gonna happen.

I say at this point, it's Florida or nowhere. Unless Yzerman has a change of heart.

Why Anaheim hasn't given up on Hiller blows my mind. I say that because he still says he is suffering from vertigo. He says he is like 90%.. If I were a GM and I heard that I would be looking for a new goalie.

#80 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Why Anaheim hasn't given up on Hiller blows my mind. I say that because he still says he is suffering from vertigo. He says he is like 90%.. If I were a GM and I heard that I would be looking for a new goalie.

Source? This is my understanding as well, but where have you seen this (recently)?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.