The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rating our draft this year

TACIC

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love what Gillis has done these past few years. He's made a few mistakes, but all in all, within the next 2-5 years, the Canucks are going to be a force to be reckon with. With guys like Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian, Grenier, Mallet and Labate no longer are the Canucks going to be pushed around or accused of being soft. Screw the Detroit modo, when rats like marchand or bolland come antagonizing our stars, players like Kassian or Mallet will intervene and beat that rat's face into a bloody pulp. I hope Gillis keeps all these prospects because building from within is really the way to go. No longer will we be f*cked with.

If u think our biggest need is D men, well then I'm not sure what team u r thinking of

Sauve

Cannauton

Corrado

Polasek

McNally

All have a future with us

At center, prior to the draft

Schroeder

Labate

Friesen

Nothing

Nothing

Nothing

Get the picture?

I figure by the 2013-2014 season both Sauve and Connauton will be with the Canucks. Neither of those two are exactly shut-down defensemen. Who's left in the system for the Canucks then? Corrado, Polasek and McNally haven't exactly proved to me that they are NHL caliber players. Hell, Polasek and McNally are going to be 22, Polasek didn't even play a full season in the AHL, and McNally is still in college, not quite the depth you alluded too. So really what the Canucks have, on D depth, is one second pair guy, one third pair guy, and a few call-ups. Where's the, let's say, Drew Doughty in the Canucks' system?

I agree that the center depth is also pretty shallow, but you know what you can trade for really cheaply? A third/fourth line center, which is what Gaunce projects to be. I don't think it was a bad pick, but, if we are going by the best player available concept, Skjei, in my opinion, was a better player available for the Canucks.

I pick the big tough canadian kid over the soft european any day. Wasn't Kesler projected to be a 3rd liner when he was drafted? I think Gaunce has the potential to be a future Mike Richards and second liner for us. He's not that fast but is very physical just like Richards.

I pick the big tough canadian kid over the soft european any day. Wasn't Kesler projected to be a 3rd liner when he was drafted? I think Gaunce has the potential to be a future Mike Richards and second liner for us. He's not that fast but is very physical just like Richards.

we really need to get rid of Delmorne. Heck anyone can draft in the 1st round with TSN and CSS in front of you and Gilis at your back. But 2nd round to pick Mallet that early when you have a really good chance to get him with 5th pick? Our track record of "picking guys we could got with our later picks" in the 2nd and 3rd rounds continues.

I guess I should be more clear. I'm not upset at the Gaunce pick, he was the best center available, and the best available player by ranking, I just think Skjei would have been a better pick, but I certainly don't think Gaunce will be a bust. I don't anticipate "We coulda had Skjei" topics in the future, unless I start one. The topic was "rating our draft this year", and the pick of Mallet soured me to the whole thing, even though I like Hutton and Beattie (in fact, I think Beattie may turn out to be the Canucks' best pick, considering his upside and where he was picked).

Archived