The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rating our draft this year

TACIC

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Every year every one of gillis's picks is the "steal" of the draft yet not one of them has turned out. They all rank off the charts based on their parameters, and tests, on character and intelligence, yet the only player that has made the NHL needed to be traded due to character flaws. If they are using the same criteria to draft one has to assume this draft will be a enormous failure just like every other draft MG has ever been involved in. We've all heard this song and dance before and it's about time people start questioning MG's competence. On the bright side at least he's not drafting midgets anymore so we can at least get some young third and fourth liners.

Every year every one of gillis's picks is the "steal" of the draft yet not one of them has turned out. They all rank off the charts based on their parameters, and tests, on character and intelligence, yet the only player that has made the NHL needed to be traded due to character flaws. If they are using the same criteria to draft one has to assume this draft will be a enormous failure just like every other draft MG has ever been involved in. We've all heard this song and dance before and it's about time people start questioning MG's competence. On the bright side at least he's not drafting midgets anymore so we can at least get some young third and fourth liners.

Blackhawks fan here...so take it easy on my.

I love the Canucks first round pick, I was really hoping the Hawks would draft Gaunce but when Teravainen was still available at #18 Bowman had to take him. Gaunce will bring the Canucks a nice balance of grit and skill, and the fact that he's a centre is a bonus!

A solid 3rd and 4th line is a huge part of going far in the play-offs. I have no problem with drafting these types of players. You get the odd one that surprises all and goes far.

If you are in Gillis's position, you don't get a chance to draft future core players because you are winning president's trophies. All you can do is draft potential role players.

Honestly, it's a miracle Burke got us the Sedins, because otherwise this team would be struggling to make the play-offs year in and year out.

... Unfortunately, we haven't had a coach for a long time. Wouldn't you know it, a good coach is actually really important.

Gaunce - no brainer. Surprised we got him at 26th- would have been ok with Samuelsson, but Gaunce has the perfect attributes for what the team needs in the near future.

Mallet - we have the Hammer so we had to have the Mallet as well. People can complain about his ranking, but he is another center with attributes that could fit very nicely into the Canucks lineup. Obviously they saw some special character in this young guy - and like Gaunce, is a shorter term project than most young players. My faith in the Canucks scouts gives me a little faith that he has the potential to be another late bloomer like Burr and Tanev...

I think targetting physical, two way centers was a good assessment of the Canucks needs / what was lacking in the system.

I disagree that the Canucks should have focused on a top 4 potential blueliner - the Canucks have free agency, potential trades and developed prospects to add to any perceived needs on the blueline in the present. They may also add a prospect or two in a potential Luongo deal.

A solid 3rd and 4th line is a huge part of going far in the play-offs. I have no problem with drafting these types of players. You get the odd one that surprises all and goes far.

If you are in Gillis's position, you don't get a chance to draft future core players because you are winning president's trophies. All you can do is draft potential role players.

Honestly, it's a miracle Burke got us the Sedins, because otherwise this team would be struggling to make the play-offs year in and year out.

... Unfortunately, we haven't had a coach for a long time. Wouldn't you know it, a good coach is actually really important.

Blackhawks fan here...so take it easy on my.

I love the Canucks first round pick, I was really hoping the Hawks would draft Gaunce but when Teravainen was still available at #18 Bowman had to take him. Gaunce will bring the Canucks a nice balance of grit and skill, and the fact that he's a centre is a bonus!

never even heard of Mallet, Beattie or Myron (Byr... Myr... Byr... Myron instead of Byron looks interesting)

I thought Gaunce was a D-man (I knew his brother was in Colorado); at least M.G. got big, energetic guys with some skill and he addressed the need for new, skilled centers in the pipeline; good enough to appease my inner critic... I guess low-risk, average reward is alright, they could be traded or at worst not signed if they don't pan out

would've liked to see where Lu would've gone (really wonder what price M.G. dangled Lu to Burke for).

Its nice to see that our team is looking at measurables rather than talent, thast the first mistake of the previous regime which lead us to no cups, while Detroit is drafting skill regardless of size and will be setup for the next decade.

Gaunce - no brainer. Surprised we got him at 26th- would have been ok with Samuelsson, but Gaunce has the perfect attributes for what the team needs in the near future.

Mallet - we have the Hammer so we had to have the Mallet as well. People can complain about his ranking, but he is another center with attributes that could fit very nicely into the Canucks lineup. Obviously they saw some special character in this young guy - and like Gaunce, is a shorter term project than most young players. My faith in the Canucks scouts gives me a little faith that he has the potential to be another late bloomer like Burr and Tanev...

I think targetting physical, two way centers was a good assessment of the Canucks needs / what was lacking in the system.

I disagree that the Canucks should have focused on a top 4 potential blueliner - the Canucks have free agency, potential trades and developed prospects to add to any perceived needs on the blueline in the present. They may also add a prospect or two in a potential Luongo deal.

Archived