The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cup Loss making Gillis do things he shouldnt

hockey21383

LOL drafting BIG tough young players has ALWAYS been a smart move in the NHL. People will complain either way.

People complained like hell when Gillis drafted two small centermen two years in a row. Then they complained that we didn't (and still don't) have a heavyweight fighter in the lineup. Then Byron Bitz played a couple of games and was heralded.

Now people are actually complaining about drafting big players? Would anyone here actually MIND seeing the Canucks draft the next Lucic, or Byfuglien, or hell Getzlaf?

You cannot teach size. Skill you can teach, work on, and improve. Size is a gift.

People also complain about drafting prospects that take too long to make the NHL, often touting prospects as "busts" if they aren't in the NHL within the first two years of being drafted. Bigger players are almost always closer to being NHL ready than smaller players, because they can handle the physicality sooner. If groomed properly, these big players can become incredibly effective.

All that being said, it's quite clear that someone will always find something to b*tch about. I am just shocked that it's actually about drafting big strong Canadian kids. Isn't that what we Canucks fans have been asking for, for years? Or should we try to emulate the Montreal Canadians last two decades...

The problem is coaching. Both skilled players and big players aren't being maximized in Vancouver by the coaching staff which is why there is this argument. Most players that aren't part of the core that AV grew up with he has a hard time gettin them to be effective.

If skilled players can be tough and big players can utilize their skill they should both be effective. Instead both types fail to improve under AV.

The problem is coaching. Both skilled players and big players aren't being maximized in Vancouver by the coaching staff which is why there is this argument. Most players that aren't part of the core that AV grew up with he has a hard time gettin them to be effective.

If skilled players can be tough and big players can utilize their skill they should both be effective. Instead both types fail to improve under AV.

Some 'evidence' also backing up that theory is the Kassian trade. The trade was a mainly based on that series loss and the media only added fuel to that fire by comparing him to Lucic. If he wanted a big power forward type player then he could have gone with Beach in the first place as it was debated around here at the time and probably among the staff. I can name off several players not resembling a Lucic that would have been viable options in return for Cody. Instead, MG went with the Lucic type player despite the fact he is anything but Lucic so far (size and physicality, at times, being about the only thing they have in common)

I'm not saying this is the case by any means, but its something to also think about if you believe the OP's theory.

LOL drafting BIG tough young players has ALWAYS been a smart move in the NHL. People will complain either way.

People complained like hell when Gillis drafted two small centermen two years in a row. Then they complained that we didn't (and still don't) have a heavyweight fighter in the lineup. Then Byron Bitz played a couple of games and was heralded.

Now people are actually complaining about drafting big players? Would anyone here actually MIND seeing the Canucks draft the next Lucic, or Byfuglien, or hell Getzlaf?

You cannot teach size. Skill you can teach, work on, and improve. Size is a gift.

People also complain about drafting prospects that take too long to make the NHL, often touting prospects as "busts" if they aren't in the NHL within the first two years of being drafted. Bigger players are almost always closer to being NHL ready than smaller players, because they can handle the physicality sooner. If groomed properly, these big players can become incredibly effective.

All that being said, it's quite clear that someone will always find something to b*tch about. I am just shocked that it's actually about drafting big strong Canadian kids. Isn't that what we Canucks fans have been asking for, for years? Or should we try to emulate the Montreal Canadians last two decades...

People are jumping the gun there but they also have the right to be concerned, especially with Gillis going for a couple overaged players this time. Overaged players in the draft were passed on by all 30 teams for a reason. How many Gillis' draft picks does are there playing for this team right now? That's a big fat zero. I'll go out on a limb and say that's currently the most pathetic track record going over the last four seasons.

There aren't many grinders who are scoring big goals in the way like LA did. People also look at behind having size but actually tiny weasel Marchand used his speed to beat the d to score many scores. I consider that success. I don't consider Higgins, Lapierre, malhotra, Kassian, etc playin like typical grinders who didn't really add any advantage over the opposition success.

Also those type of players are supposed to be grinders who can be easily picked up. Why draft them? Size with skill makes sense but size for the sake of size doesn't.

But my whole point is that coaching, whether the lineup is big but unskilled or skilled but not big, will help dictate the effectiveness of the team. If not then it doesn't matter who you draft... Their talents an the teams cup Chances will be squandered.

i'm all for adding toughness, but we need have skill too. If Gillis can add both of those things then we'll be all set. Don't know too much about the new draft selections we made, but if they are big guys with potential skill then that is the right move. It's hard to make a perfect team, need to give up some key areas to fix the broken ones :S

Another terrible post by you. Go for Beach?! What the hell has he done for Chicago?! Has he even madew the teams?!

And name those options that you could think of been better than Kassian. Enlighten me because I guarantee you the player you are about to name are unavailable....

People are jumping the gun there but they also have the right to be concerned, especially with Gillis going for a couple overaged players this time. Overaged players in the draft were passed on by all 30 teams for a reason. How many Gillis' draft picks does are there playing for this team right now? That's a big fat zero. I'll go out on a limb and say that's currently the most pathetic track record going over the last four seasons.

Detriot doesn't have any picks in the past 4 seasons playing either, and teams consider Detriot the best franchise in the league.

Considering MG has only drafted one player higher than 22nd in his career, you can't blame him for those players not being ready in less than 3 years. When you are consistently drafting in the 20s those players are going to take longer to develop.

Archived