The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cup Loss making Gillis do things he shouldnt

hockey21383

There was a similar topic to this on HF boards, and I though id bring it here.

Basically since losing to Boston in the cup Finals the Canucks have been drafting big and tough guys time after time this year and last years draft. Its stupid. We were one of the best teams and still are for now, because we had so much skill and that got us to the Cup Final. Gillis is so bent on changing the make-up of the team, and it's really unnecessary. There are so many players that the Canucks could've gotten in this years draft and last but he was so concerned that he must draft someone is atleast 6'2 200. It's stupid

Basically since losing to Boston in the cup Finals the Canucks have been drafting big and tough guys time after time this year and last years draft. Its stupid. We were one of the best teams and still are for now, because we had so much skill and that got us to the Cup Final. Gillis is so bent on changing the make-up of the team, and it's really unnecessary. There are so many players that the Canucks could've gotten in this years draft and last but he was so concerned that he must draft someone is atleast 6'2 200. It's stupid

And if he drafted based on pure skill, people are going to say that he has learned nothing from the boston series... I agree with his decisions, and I think it's safe to say that he knows what he's doing. Don't worry he's one of the best GM's in the league, and we're lucky to have him.

I actually think its necessary, I'm tired of being pussies. The history of this team has been big and strong, we've gotten away from that. We need balance between size and skill and we need to add size to keep it even. This is a terrible draft year for skill so you might as well draft some muscle.

Bigger is better. I would assume Gillis is changing his draft strategy based on the type of player that actually makes it into this league, that being a bigger, two way forward. When Gillis drafted Hodgson and Schroeder, both were and still are undersized with a certain lack of effort within their own zone. One of the positives about drafting big, is that a bigger player doesn't have to be as positionally sound, rather he can rub out his check instead of trying to poke the puck away.

I don't think Gillis is compensating for the loss to the Bruins, rather he is just responding. If some of the players Gillis has drafted, including Jensen, Gaunce, Grenier, Labate, Beattie and adding Kassian end up cracking the line up they will not be replacing our skilled player but rather fill in 3/4th line spots to start, which a smaller one dimensional forward would be less capable.

I dunno, 6'1, 6'2 just isn't that big when you're talking cream of the crop athletes. I don't see it as desperate moves to get huge, just normal. Doesn't take a smart a$$ to look at Ebbett, Schroeder and Hodgson and start crackin hobbit jokes. Putting Bitz in the playoffs after so much time away turned into a total disaster, I like Kassian but that deal looked and still looks pretty stupid. I don't think we need monsters, just average sized players with skill. The majority of that 1st round was 6'2, only like 3 players shorter than 6'.

No more midget prospects, just average height guys that we can strength train and count on to give and take a beating.

but yea, no problem with gaining size in the prospect pool, even your average NFL QB is bigger than any of our players.

I actually think its necessary, I'm tired of being pussies. The history of this team has been big and strong, we've gotten away from that. We need balance between size and skill and we need to add size to keep it even. This is a terrible draft year for skill so you might as well draft some muscle.

We need Dustin Browns. We need Lucic's and Bergeron's, You like losing because we aren't big enough? What has history shown us. Big AND skilled, that's what we need. No more useless Raymond's.

Big guys, soft hands.

Gillis is 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't' when it comes to this issue.

People will complain if he appears to be departing from skilled-type drafting, to hard-nosed offensively able type drafting.

Can't make everyone happy, but as many of you have pointed out, this is the direction the league is going towards.

I for one am quite pleased with what he is doing, and I think we shall continue to be formidable with these additions. We have skill, now its just going to be complemented with bigger, stronger guys. Not goons, but complete two-way hockey players.

That seems to be the game plan, and it will work.

Top 15 NHL Scorers:

Evgeni Malkin - 6'3"

Steven Stamkos - 6'1"

Cluade Giroux 5'11"

Jason Spezza 6'3"

Ilya Kovalchuk 6'3"

Phil Kessel 6'0"

James Neal 6'2"

John Tavares 6'0"

Henrik Sedin 6'2"

Patrik Elias 6'1"

Erik Karlsson 6'0"

Marian Hossa 6'1"

Ray Whitney 5'10"

Joe Thornton 6'4"

Marian Gaborik 6'1"

Two guys out of 15 are under 5'0". And only another two guys are 6'0". You don't see little twerps ruling the league. The league is getting bigger and bigger. Boston started this, LA continued it.

Archived