#1 vancouvercanucks#1

vancouvercanucks#1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

POPULAR

Looking at the Canucks' current roster, I simply don't see enough room for the perennial butt-of-all-jokes in Aaron Rome.

Barring a major trade or free agent signing, our defensive lines look pretty shored up, if we can get Salo, Gragnani and Parent re-signed we'll have a D-core that looks pretty much like:

Edler - Salo
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Alberts - Ballard
Rome - Tanev
Gragnani - Connauton
Parent - Sauve

Now, I know Rome could probably slot in to Alberts' spot on the third pairing; however, how could you justify not giving the time to Gragnani, Tanev or some other player who's still young? If the Canucks are to develop their prospects, as much as it pains me to say it: Rome has got to go.

So, this is my farewell to you, Rome. I hope you make a great impression on the fans of another city, somewhere else, far, far away from here.

Next, is a highlight of Rome's only accomplishment:
Posted Image

i am so sick of don cherry. get him the hell off ...hes way past his expiry date. I'm trying to watch hockey I don't want some senile blowhard talking about respecting baby jesus's birthday and not taking the lord's name in vain.

#2 Ktakatch

Ktakatch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

POPULAR

greatest hit ever

#3 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

POPULAR

Greatest hit I ever did see.

#4 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

POPULAR

As long as Rome is in the system, and as long as Alain is our coach, Rome will play. He'll play. You bet he'll play. He'll play on a first pairing. And he'll play at Rogers Arena
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#5 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Look at the linesmans face
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#6 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

He'll always be remembered for that hit!

#7 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

POPULAR

greatest hit ever

Word to the hockey universe.

Farewll to one of the most fan loved players this city has had, and I'll never forget his empty net goal vs the Sharks and his 3 game point streak he had this year. Seriously though, loved him as a 7th dman - physical, hit, stuck up for players.

Will truly miss the Rome era :(

Edited by The Sedin's 6th Sense, 23 June 2012 - 11:25 PM.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#8 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

I think Rome has a spot on this team, we can use he's grit and size on a smaller D core. Rome is not a bad player when he's used as a depth guy, he's a pretty solid depth D man.

#9 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

POPULAR

I truly believe that hit rallied the bruins and lost us the cup. Peace Rome
Posted Image

#10 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

POPULAR

Thanks for all the hard work, effort, and your commitment to the team, Aaron. It was very much appreciated, and I wish you all the best in the future.

Unfortunately, I do believe that hit in Game 3 changed the momentum of that game for the worse. Despite this, I don't blame you entirely for what happened that game. Cheers to all the good moments and your dedication throughout these past two years. Best of luck.

Here's my favorite Aaron Rome moment: his first goal as a Canuck, the empty netter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpiNFQQTHlk

Of course, he came up big for us later that year against the San Jose Sharks as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBSVJDalDrs

Rome then scored in his first game back from his injury early in the season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_mV5fIlX-k

He then scored the following game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehnJoxscXrk

And two games later, he scored his third goal in four games.

Aaron Rome, the November All Star.

Posted Image

Edited by WeatherWise, 23 June 2012 - 11:45 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#11 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

best hit ever!!
Posted Image

#12 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,941 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

Tweets from June 21st re: Aaron Rome

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports

Just talked with #Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome who is 9 days away from becoming a u-f-a.

Rome would love to re-sign with #Canucks but says is prepared for July 1st if he hits market.

Rome says he's leaving it to his agent to find out if Canucks have interest or not.

Rome says he really enjoyed his time in Vancouver and being a CDN guy playing in Canada is huge.

Having had the chance to watch the Canucks live during a game last season I was really able to get a sense of how bad he really is. Prior to that I didn't like him much but I thought that maybe I was just not giving him a chance. But lordy he is one of the slowest moving players I've ever seen. And it seems like his brain doesn't keep up with the pace of the game because he can't make decisions as fast as he needs to.

If we want to give some of our prospects a shot at a roster spot we can't be keeping guys like Rome around.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#13 canucks10271999

canucks10271999

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

awesome hit

Edited by canucks10271999, 23 June 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#14 canucks10271999

canucks10271999

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Looking at the Canucks' current roster, I simply don't see enough room for the perennial butt-of-all-jokes in Aaron Rome.

Barring a major trade or free agent signing, our defensive lines look pretty shored up, if we can get Salo, Gragnani and Parent re-signed we'll have a D-core that looks pretty much like:

Edler - Salo
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Alberts - Ballard
Rome - Tanev
Gragnani - Connauton
Parent - Sauve

Now, I know Rome could probably slot in to Alberts' spot on the third pairing; however, how could you justify not giving the time to Gragnani, Tanev or some other player who's still young? If the Canucks are to develop their prospects, as much as it pains me to say it: Rome has got to go.

So, this is my farewell to you, Rome. I hope you make a great impression on the fans of another city, somewhere else, far, far away from here.

Posted Image

look at lappy in the back

Edited by canucks10271999, 23 June 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#15 hsidhu

hsidhu

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

hes not that bad of a player, we just need to give younger players an opportunity

Kassian will be a Beast

#16 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

POPULAR

Depth defenseman. Met my expecations over the years. At times exceeded them. Esp. when Hamhuis went down in the finals and Rome had to become a top-pairing guy for us. (He didn't look too shabby.) Until that fateful hit on Horton.

He doesn't deserve the negativity found on cdc. And i'm not sure why the guy who just does his job and keeps his mouth shut doesn't get a pass, but Shane O'Brien, the loudmouth partyboy who scored on himself whilest being a Canuck, does. Is it because O'Brien likes to be approached by the media? And vice-versa? Whatever.

Depth defensemen are often scapegoats. Deemed 'useless' etc. When when the teams actually win a cup, those same guys are labelled unsung heroes. All along their just doing their jobs and keeping their mouths shut. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#17 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

AV is going to be heartbroken.

#18 Thirteen

Thirteen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

POPULAR

Loved the hit and how he stepped up in the playoffs. Horton sold that hit... Love lost when the momentum changed because we lost him and lost the game then series when Horton/Bruins turned into drama queens.

Talk about the Canucks crying... Boy did they make Rome out to be dirty and all he did was knock out Horton who was just admiring his pass..

Posted ImageWooooooooooooooooooooooo!Posted Image

Posted Image
Favorites: Sir. KesLord , Kaner, Stammer, Toes & Pavelski

#19 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

Depth defenseman. Met my expecations over the years. At times exceeded them. Esp. when Hamhuis went down in the finals and Rome had to become a top-pairing guy for us. (He didn't look too shabby.) Until that fateful hit on Horton.

He doesn't deserve the negativity found on cdc. And i'm not sure why the guy who just does his job and keeps his mouth shut doesn't get a pass, but Shane O'Brien, the loudmouth partyboy who scored on himself whilest being a Canuck, does. Is it because O'Brien likes to be approached by the media? And vice-versa? Whatever.

Depth defensemen are often scapegoats. Deemed 'useless' etc. When when the teams actually win a cup, those same guys are labelled unsung heroes. All along their just doing their jobs and keeping their mouths shut. Cheers.

TOML

Yeah I agree, Rome was a great depth D man, I hope we re-sign him as we can use him. Rome did his job as a depth D man and did it good and sometimes great when he did step up into a top 4 role. It seems some... many Canuck fans just like to rip on players.

#20 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

Edler - Salo
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Alberts - Ballard
Rome - Tanev
Gragnani - Connauton
Parent - Sauve

and you have a player not even under contract with the canucks for next year on your list... just saying

Posted Image

dude rome is 28... and but of all jokes? seriously... and only accomplishment... you need to go away.. rome was a steady no nonsense do your job d man.. imo i hope we re sign him... cause your list of prospects have done nothing to make it on the canucks line up..other than tanev.

Edited by vwnuck, 24 June 2012 - 12:16 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

TOML

This right here. He did his job. Isn't that what we wanted?
Posted Image

#22 mj vic

mj vic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:16 AM

I agree 100%

#23 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,549 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:21 AM

Rome is the hero Vancouver deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The Dark Knight.

Edited by Caboose, 24 June 2012 - 12:21 AM.

f54xok.jpg

Vintage Canuck

#24 vancouvercanucks#1

vancouvercanucks#1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

Rome is the hero Vancouver deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The Dark Knight.

One time I was playing NHL 12 online and it was the Canucks vs. Bruins and I purposely put Rome on every defensive pairing just so I could reenact the hit he put on Thornton.

I did it perfectly, except instead of Thornton I did it on Marchand. He was out for the rest of the game.

I really with that would happen in real life.

i am so sick of don cherry. get him the hell off ...hes way past his expiry date. I'm trying to watch hockey I don't want some senile blowhard talking about respecting baby jesus's birthday and not taking the lord's name in vain.

#25 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,274 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

Rome's only accomplishment isn't that hit. He has more Cups then anyone on the Canucks right now. ;) But seriously, Tanev has paid his dues long enough, he deserves a fulltime spot.

Edited by Bryan McCabe.24, 24 June 2012 - 12:28 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#26 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

Tanev
Gragnani - Connauton
Parent - Sauve

Only Sauve could be as effective physically as Rome is and that day is not now.

#27 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

I always liked Rome and his permanent 5 o'clock shadow. That hit on Horton was epic, I don't buy that "Bruins rallied from it and were able to come back" crap. If anything we should be the ones getting the momentum from witnessing such awesomeness, not to mention they lost a top winger.

PS that highlight goal vs the Kings was an amazing shift, the Sharks one too...... and the blackhawks one........... How does Rome of all players finish these!?

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 24 June 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#28 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:34 AM

POPULAR

One time I was playing NHL 12 online and it was the Canucks vs. Bruins and I purposely put Rome on every defensive pairing just so I could reenact the hit he put on Thornton.

I did it perfectly, except instead of Thornton I did it on Marchand. He was out for the rest of the game.

I really with that would happen in real life.

He hit Horton not Thornton.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 ILL BILL NECRO

ILL BILL NECRO

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

look at lappy in that pic of the rome hit... He was just loving it.

Edited by ILL BILL NECRO, 24 June 2012 - 12:37 AM.

Posted Image

#30 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:44 AM

As long as Rome is in the system, and as long as Alain is our coach, Rome will play. He'll play. You bet he'll play. He'll play on a first pairing. And he'll play at Rogers Arena

Every night, the season is over!
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.