The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Farewell to Rome

vancouvercanucks#1

Looking at the Canucks' current roster, I simply don't see enough room for the perennial butt-of-all-jokes in Aaron Rome.

Barring a major trade or free agent signing, our defensive lines look pretty shored up, if we can get Salo, Gragnani and Parent re-signed we'll have a D-core that looks pretty much like:

Edler - Salo

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Alberts - Ballard

Rome - Tanev

Gragnani - Connauton

Parent - Sauve

Now, I know Rome could probably slot in to Alberts' spot on the third pairing; however, how could you justify not giving the time to Gragnani, Tanev or some other player who's still young? If the Canucks are to develop their prospects, as much as it pains me to say it: Rome has got to go.

So, this is my farewell to you, Rome. I hope you make a great impression on the fans of another city, somewhere else, far, far away from here.

Next, is a highlight of Rome's only accomplishment:

539rome.jpg

Tweets from June 21st re: Aaron Rome

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports

Just talked with #Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome who is 9 days away from becoming a u-f-a.

Rome would love to re-sign with #Canucks but says is prepared for July 1st if he hits market.

Rome says he's leaving it to his agent to find out if Canucks have interest or not.

Rome says he really enjoyed his time in Vancouver and being a CDN guy playing in Canada is huge.

Having had the chance to watch the Canucks live during a game last season I was really able to get a sense of how bad he really is. Prior to that I didn't like him much but I thought that maybe I was just not giving him a chance. But lordy he is one of the slowest moving players I've ever seen. And it seems like his brain doesn't keep up with the pace of the game because he can't make decisions as fast as he needs to.

If we want to give some of our prospects a shot at a roster spot we can't be keeping guys like Rome around.

Looking at the Canucks' current roster, I simply don't see enough room for the perennial butt-of-all-jokes in Aaron Rome.

Barring a major trade or free agent signing, our defensive lines look pretty shored up, if we can get Salo, Gragnani and Parent re-signed we'll have a D-core that looks pretty much like:

Edler - Salo

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Alberts - Ballard

Rome - Tanev

Gragnani - Connauton

Parent - Sauve

Now, I know Rome could probably slot in to Alberts' spot on the third pairing; however, how could you justify not giving the time to Gragnani, Tanev or some other player who's still young? If the Canucks are to develop their prospects, as much as it pains me to say it: Rome has got to go.

So, this is my farewell to you, Rome. I hope you make a great impression on the fans of another city, somewhere else, far, far away from here.

539rome.jpg

Depth defenseman. Met my expecations over the years. At times exceeded them. Esp. when Hamhuis went down in the finals and Rome had to become a top-pairing guy for us. (He didn't look too shabby.) Until that fateful hit on Horton.

He doesn't deserve the negativity found on cdc. And i'm not sure why the guy who just does his job and keeps his mouth shut doesn't get a pass, but Shane O'Brien, the loudmouth partyboy who scored on himself whilest being a Canuck, does. Is it because O'Brien likes to be approached by the media? And vice-versa? Whatever.

Depth defensemen are often scapegoats. Deemed 'useless' etc. When when the teams actually win a cup, those same guys are labelled unsung heroes. All along their just doing their jobs and keeping their mouths shut. Cheers.

TOML

Loved the hit and how he stepped up in the playoffs. Horton sold that hit... Love lost when the momentum changed because we lost him and lost the game then series when Horton/Bruins turned into drama queens.

Talk about the Canucks crying... Boy did they make Rome out to be dirty and all he did was knock out Horton who was just admiring his pass..

Depth defenseman. Met my expecations over the years. At times exceeded them. Esp. when Hamhuis went down in the finals and Rome had to become a top-pairing guy for us. (He didn't look too shabby.) Until that fateful hit on Horton.

He doesn't deserve the negativity found on cdc. And i'm not sure why the guy who just does his job and keeps his mouth shut doesn't get a pass, but Shane O'Brien, the loudmouth partyboy who scored on himself whilest being a Canuck, does. Is it because O'Brien likes to be approached by the media? And vice-versa? Whatever.

Depth defensemen are often scapegoats. Deemed 'useless' etc. When when the teams actually win a cup, those same guys are labelled unsung heroes. All along their just doing their jobs and keeping their mouths shut. Cheers.

TOML

Edler - Salo

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Alberts - Ballard

Rome - Tanev

Gragnani - Connauton

Parent - Sauve

and you have a player not even under contract with the canucks for next year on your list... just saying

539rome.jpg

TOML

Archived