The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Farewell to Rome

vancouvercanucks#1

Rome is a team first player, Not blessed with the biggest skill pack, but a man on the ice. His hit on Horton was awesome, but I was more impressed with his approach to team toughness. He always sticks up for his goalie or fellow players. The L.A. Kings just won a cup, Greene isn't that far removed from Rome. A guy like Rome gives all the little fellows just a little more courage.

That's what I hate about these boards...............CDC is always just a heart beat from sticking the knife into decent players who have given their all, when called upon for this team.

As the poster above says he is not flashy or cultured or particularly gifted but he has been a solid and steady player for us. He was always part of our grit (a gradually diminishing quality on this team) and never flinched when it came to protecting others or himself.

Leave the guy with some dignity. If he goes, he should go with our thanks for always giving 100% for the team. Ironically I look at SC winners and there is always one or two guys like Rome on every team...............I wish I could say the same for our tail / prospects waiting in the wings.

Loved the hit and how he stepped up in the playoffs. Horton sold that hit... Love lost when the momentum changed because we lost him and lost the game then series when Horton/Bruins turned into drama queens.

Talk about the Canucks crying... Boy did they make Rome out to be dirty and all he did was knock out Horton who was just admiring his pass..

Rome has had a hard time in Vancouver and really deserves a chance elsewhere. I think he performed up to expectations and was one of our more physical dmen on a soft team.

He played better than Ballard which is why CDC got on him. It became fashionable to bash Rome because AV had faith in him. Does anyone ever wonder why? Because AV saw a dman that played a stay at home style and who provided grit....something sadly lacking on the backend.

If he is gone next year, I hope he signs in a city that appreciates his style. For me, he is just another player who threw a big hit and was chased out of town because Vancouver wet their panties with a collective 'Oh My'.

AV is the reason Rome took all that flack. He is a #7 D-man who was playing WELL ABOVE HIS COMFORT ZONE in a top-4 role at many times...

He has heart, work ethic, and was a great leader for our AHL team. But as a full time NHLer, there are many more desirable people to fill the #6 spot.

I wish him the best!

We are not re-signing Parent because we didn't qaulify him, Vigneault won't use Ballard very much, and Gragnani will be in the minors. Rome if he re-signs at 750,000 I would take him back you can never have too much depth.

Archived