The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

your mike gillis,what do you go for at free agency

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It seems pretty clear that we need a second line playmaking right winger, a third line center and possibly one extra defender.

These can come through trade or free agency.

First for defense. With 7 NHL defenseman who the Canucks have rights too (Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ballard, Tanev, Alberts, Gragnani), plus possibly Salo, the Canucks really need to either trade someone or else sign a lesser defenseman. Garrison is highly rumoured but is a left handed shot (which six out of the eight Canucks already are), that probably doesn't make sense unless Ballard is traded. Therefore the best option would be to sign Justin Schultz if you can convince him to come here then let the 9 guys battle it out.

Second, right winger. The dream would be Zack Parise but that is very unlikely due to salary and competing against other teams. The secondary options would be Ray Whitney or P.A Parenteau. Although very different in style, either one could fit will on the roster with Booth and Kesler. If neither of those pan out, a trade is probably necessary. There are many potential guys on the market but the question is what they would be asking for in return. Could TJ Oshie be available? He would be a great fit. What about trading for Christ Stewart, sticking him with the Sedins and Burrows on the second line?

Third, third line centerman. With Kelly off the market and Pahlsson in Sweden, it appears that Gaustad is the big fish. The only problem is that he will probably get highly overpaid for a third line center since he is the cream of the crop. How much are we willing to pay him? 3.5 million? Yikes, I dunno. Do we let Lapierre and Malhotra split time? I think the best is to let the two split time, see how it goes and then trade for a guy if we really need to during the season.

I didn't know that you could offer players as slaves for free agent offers. "We want to offer Ryan Suter a 4 year deal worth 20 Million, but we'll also give him Alberts, Malhotra, and anyone else that he wants. He can do whatever he likes with them."

I have no idea why anyone wants Grimaldi, take a look at his twitter account, it's like having a Jehovah's Witness knocking at your door every 20 minutes, except he's not a Jehovah's Witness and if you follow him, you have to see his tweets instead of just not answering the door like everyone does. Kid idolizes Tebow. People don't like Booth talking about religion, well he is an atheist compared to this kid.

He's also 5'6" and we're trying to get bigger, not Montreal-er

He needs to go out and get:

Defensive Defenceman (Allen, Garrison)

Skilled Forward (Parise, Huselius)

3rd line center (Gaustad, McClement)

4th line winger (Winnik, Burish)

Now I'm not saying he needs to go sign those guys specifically, but I am saying those types of players need to be signed.

:lol: slightly mean but so funny! :lol:

ANYWAYS, I'd want Winnik, Garrison and Latendresse. Wouldn't mind if Wideman came too lol

Not sold on overpaying for Parenteau or Gaustad

EDIT: forgot to mention Whitney; his skill could make some bigger opponents look pretty bad (there's a youtube vid, he deked Chara pretty badly while Ray was in Carolina).

Archived