The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Heads Up CDCer's

Those so-called Microsoft Tech support people are at it again, some of you remember these people calling and saying your computer has a virus or some other problem. We have had 2 calls within a week. All these people want is to get remote access to your computer. Just hang up and not waste your time with these people.

I play along and waste their time just like they're wasting mine. I play dumb...really dumb (do it with the Google ad guys at work too). They usually get frustrated after a few minutes and I increase in intensity as I go.

If you have a 3 year old, put them on the line and let them sort it out. :)

I actually got into it with one of these kind of guys. Said I would go along with him if I could call back on his personal line. During dinner, as I was in the middle of mine when called. The guy got extremely angry and started throwing my address/real last name around. Threatened to pay me a visit. But I gladly invited him over haha. Then he explained how he had been to prison... I explained back, that's why he had a crappy job and he should get his life straightened out. By the end of it I felt like I may have got through to him.

what are their phone #s? what area code?

I've been getting creepy calls with a women trying to sell me something but I had no idea what she was trying to say as it sounded like mmumble.mumbblemubble.giggles.rawr.

called couple times after I said don't call back, i spoke in a manner as if .. I was gonna hunt their company down

I play along and waste their time just like they're wasting mine. I play dumb...really dumb (do it with the Google ad guys at work too). They usually get frustrated after a few minutes and I increase in intensity as I go.

The first time they tried this on me was a year or two ago. After playing along for a while I got into it with the guy and his broken moral compass and eventually hung up on him. The next day they called again and I played along slipping in the odd swear word I learned from some friends in high school. When it got heated I ended up using them all in one very long sentence and he returned the favour in english. Apparently hindi is very similar to punjabi because he understood every word I said. That made one of us. Anyhoo, the moral of the story is I got a phone call every day or two for the next few weeks and there was nothing I could do to stop it as they use some kind of proxy that uses North American numbers. So be careful how far you take it.

Eventually they stopped but I did get a call just the other day. They are getting lazy though. This guy started out by saying there was something wrong with my windows machine. I just hang up now.

That one ranks right up there with the emails I have received pretending to be my ISP, claiming that I need to provide my username and password to keep my email account active.

What makes me mad is these calls aren't targeted at us, they are targeted at seniors who aren't quite so internet / computer savvy and may very well fall for this ploy. I wish there was a way to shut these bastards down.

I actually got into it with one of these kind of guys. Said I would go along with him if I could call back on hid personal line. During dinner, as I was in the middle of mine when called. The guy got extremely angry and started throwing my address/real last name around. Threatened to pay me a visit. But I gladly invited him over haha. Then he explained how he had been to prison... I explained back, that's why he had a crappy job and he should get his life straightened out. By the end of it I felt like I may have got through to him.

Archived