The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] The Isles offered every pick they had in the draft for the 2nd overall pick

How highly did the Blue Jackets value defenseman Ryan Murray before taking him with the No. 2 overall pick in Friday's first round of the NHL Draft? Enough to turn down an eye-opening offer from the New York Islanders, who, according to numerous NHL sources, offered all of their picks -- one in each round -- for the right to move up from No. 4 to No. 2 for Murray.

That's right, for the Jackets' No. 2 pick, the Islanders offered pick Nos. 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185. The bounty would have given the Jackets the following picks: 4, 31, 34, 62, 65, 95, 103, 125, 152, 155, 182 and 185. And if that weren't enough, the Jackets could have had the Kings' No. 30 if they wanted it.

Next week's development camp would have required two sheets of ice.

Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson offered a "no comment" when reached by The Dispatch late Sunday. After Friday's first round, he did mention a "very attractive" trade offer the Blue Jackets declined before selection Murray, a precocious prospect whom many think could play in the NHL this season.

The Islanders, unable to move up for Murray, drafted highly-touted defenseman Griffin Reinhart with the No. 4 pick. But they didn't stop there. The Islanders spent all seven of their picks on defensemen.

http://www.bluejacke...heir-picks.html

This is only something that would happen between the two worst franchises in the league :lol:

Guest AriGold

I saw that artical as well.. To be honest I hold Griffen just as high as Murray and for a rebuilding team like CBJ it was stupid to not accept.

Guest Dasein

Scott Howson is a fool for not taking that deal.

Ryan Murray isn't that special - yes, he's a boy that's already played against men, but how much is he going to improve ? Some players mature early but also plateau early. For example, Jay Bouwmeester was like that - amazing at first because he was so much more mature than anybody else, but didn't develop further.

I see Murray in the same fold. In my opinion, Griffin Reinhart has the potential to be better than Murray down the road and so does Morgan Rielly who went right after Reinhart.

Why didn't the Islanders draft Dougie Hamilton last year.

Hamilton - Reinhart

That could be one of the mose dominant pairings for years to come.

They put this on themselves, then they try to fix the mistake by trading all of their picks.

Howson should have been fired after that Nash fiasco. So I blame Ownership not Howson for this one. Columbus should have taken the deal, draft Reilly, Dumba, or Reinhart.

howson turning down that deal for a rebuilding franchise r u kidding me. Now does everybody understand the ridiculous demands Howson is most likely wanting in return for Rick Nash.

"Islanders offer Tavares, Moulson, Reinhart and Grabner for Rick Nash......Howson declines because he wants Charlie Wang to build Columbus a new arena too"

I can't believe this until it is confirmed.

1) There's no way that Islanders can give up their #4 and their entire drafts for Murray. That is just outrageous!

2)There's also no way that Columbus did not accept that kind of offer.

Archived