The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] The Isles offered every pick they had in the draft for the 2nd overall pick

Well, it's not quite as ludacris as everyone is making it out to be. Yakupov and Murray were the consensus #1/2 and then there was everyone else. The difference between Murray and Reinhart was substantial. Of the remaining 6 picks, Columbus would be lucky to get one NHLer out of it.

That's what I was saying!! If you compare this with other drafts it's not as good a deal as people think. If Hartford said yes to a trade like this in 1998 they would have given up Pronger for Kariya and a handful of draft busts, 7th Dmen and 4th liners. If LA said yes in 2008 they would have given up Doughty for Peitrangelo, Jake Allen, Berglund and a few other players that haven't made an impact in the NHL. If Tampa said yes in 2007, they would have traded Hedman for E. Kane and a bunch of players that have had little NHL impact.

There is still a contract limit. Half, if not more, of those prospects would have ended up unsigned before seeing their true potential anyways.

Also, moving two spots up in the draft isn't really worth a 2nd, 3rd, and chump change.

There's too many reasons not to bother with a trade like that. I'd prefer to receive tangible assets, personally, rather than prospects I can't fit in the system.

There is still a contract limit. Half, if not more, of those prospects would have ended up unsigned before seeing their true potential anyways.

Also, moving two spots up in the draft isn't really worth a 2nd, 3rd, and chump change.

There's too many reasons not to bother with a trade like that. I'd prefer to receive tangible assets, personally, rather than prospects I can't fit in the system.

Snow is an idiot for making the offer.

Howson is just as big of an idiot not to accept it.

Honestly, can someone please buy the Islanders off Charles Wang, so that some real hockey people can run that franchise?

Maybe it's history repeating that you can't have two New York teams in the NHL ( See New York/Brooklyn Americans)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Americans

Have the guy who wants to buy the Coyotes buy the Bluejackets. Fold the Islanders and Coyotes and have a dispersal draft.

Scott Howson is a fool for not taking that deal.

Ryan Murray isn't that special - yes, he's a boy that's already played against men, but how much is he going to improve ? Some players mature early but also plateau early. For example, Jay Bouwmeester was like that - amazing at first because he was so much more mature than anybody else, but didn't develop further.

I see Murray in the same fold. In my opinion, Griffin Reinhart has the potential to be better than Murray down the road and so does Morgan Rielly who went right after Reinhart.

Archived