Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Aaron Rome is now gone.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#121 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Whats the deal with Alberts...man he sucks!

My favourite depth D.

mj761l.jpg0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

#122 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,332 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Awww I can see you're just upset about losing him. You must be just as butthurt over this as AV. He was obviously as valuable to the team as you think he is, since they didnt offer him an extension eh? Phone up Gillis quick and enlighten him as to why Rome is a keeper. Tell him before he gets grabbed up by another team.

You're just butthurt that Rupert was truthin.

At least you aint alone in poor player assessment.

2sa1qgh.jpg

The Canucks Playoff preparation

#123 yes we can nucks

yes we can nucks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

Source ?

And thank god, now all the Rome jokes can finally end.

Hmm.. I wonder if Rome is burning? :bigblush:

#124 Hedman

Hedman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

Terrible news.

First i thought you where just trying to be a combo-breaker

But then i read your username and i was like... ahhh :lol:

#125 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

Anywhere I rome
Where I lay my head is home

Edited by Argon, 25 June 2012 - 07:14 PM.

orig2.jpg

#126 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Source ?

And thank god, not all the Rome jokes can finally end.

The Rome jokes never end, they end you...

#127 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,531 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#128 Iron_Gland

Iron_Gland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

I was indifferent to/didn't mind the Rome that was our 8th D-man last season. I hated the Rome that played ahead of Ballard, Tanev and Alberts the year prior and was kept in my AV no matter how poorly he was playing.

I like how MG is getting rid of the blatant AV favorites (Glass last year, Rome this year. Hopefully Raymond isn't back)

Edited by Iron_Gland, 25 June 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#129 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

That's just homerism at it's finest. It was a late hit and a cheap shot. Horton skated 6 to 8 feet without the puck before Rome even moved towards him.

That's crap. I've reviewed the hit again and again while giving the benefit of the doubt to the Ref's and I can't even count to 3 before Rome hit's him and I'm giving a pretty generous and slow count. Half second late at most.
Posted Image

#130 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

The next best thing to a cup parade, is the youtube highlight of that hit.

#131 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,324 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

Awww I can see you're just upset about losing him. You must be just as butthurt over this as AV. He was obviously as valuable to the team as you think he is, since they didnt offer him an extension eh? Phone up Gillis quick and enlighten him as to why Rome is a keeper. Tell him before he gets grabbed up by another team.

Not being offered a free agent contract = "useless plug" only in the mind of someone who has no knowledge of the game to begin with.

BTW: I'm not "upset" by losing him. If Gillis has a better option, then I think it's great. What bothers me is the brain-dead comments about the guy who did his job and did it better than the guy making four times as much money, that seem to be the norm around here.

It's like walking into a kindergarten class, but at least there you know you have the kiddie's nap time to look forward to.

Of course he didn't complain, when you have AV as a fan you never lose a spot on the line-up.

Really. So I guess you missed the last four games of the season....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#132 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

I think he did a good job, I hope he goes and lights it up again.
Posted Image

#133 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:58 AM

Would rather have Rome than Alberts TBQH.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#134 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

Not being offered a free agent contract = "useless plug" only in the mind of someone who has no knowledge of the game to begin with.

BTW: I'm not "upset" by losing him. If Gillis has a better option, then I think it's great. What bothers me is the brain-dead comments about the guy who did his job and did it better than the guy making four times as much money, that seem to be the norm around here.

It's like walking into a kindergarten class, but at least there you know you have the kiddie's nap time to look forward to.

Really. So I guess you missed the last four games of the season....

Putting those two statements together and arriving at that conclusion = an argument made by a person who made it has no logic or knowledge of how to construct a proper argument. Where did I say say that him not being offered a contract is what constitutes him as a plug you dumbass? You dont even know what my reasons are and you already assume I know nothing about hockey just because I dare to criticize him. All I said was that if he is as great a player as you make him out to be, they would have offered him a contract,

But I guess you are a better judge of talent and have vastly more knowledge of the game than me and the canucks organization. If he was as great as you like to think, and at such a cheap price, that would have made him an unresistable bargain that no one would want to give up wouldnt it? I'm sick of idiots like you who grossly overrate crapty players like him and run to their defense whenever somone badmouths them like you've got something to gain out of it.

#135 Smyl ( :

Smyl ( :

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

This is definitely a team shake up!

#136 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,324 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Putting those two statements together and arriving at that conclusion = an argument made by a person who made it has no logic or knowledge of how to construct a proper argument. Where did I say say that him not being offered a contract is what constitutes him as a plug you dumbass? You dont even know what my reasons are and you already assume I know nothing about hockey just because I dare to criticize him. All I said was that if he is as great a player as you make him out to be, they would have offered him a contract,

But I guess you are a better judge of talent and have vastly more knowledge of the game than me and the canucks organization. If he was as great as you like to think, and at such a cheap price, that would have made him an unresistable bargain that no one would want to give up wouldnt it? I'm sick of idiots like you who grossly overrate crapty players like him and run to their defense whenever somone badmouths them like you've got something to gain out of it.

Here are your two quotes:

AV must be upset over this. What useless plug is he gonna have now to give all the ice time to?

First you call Rome a "useless plug". Then when I tell you (correctly) that you don't have a clue, you say "If he's so good, why didn't they offer him a contract".

If you want to talk about putting words in someone's mouth, your line "if he is as great a player as you make him out to be" is a perfect example. Not once did I make such a claim.

So really, these insults you`re throwing around like dumbass and idiot are only describing your own level of intelligence.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#137 Guest_gumballthechewy_*

Guest_gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Anywhere I rome
Where I lay my head is home

The Black Album sucked!

#138 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

Raise the roof! :emot-parrot:
Posted Image

#139 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

Here are your two quotes:

First you call Rome a "useless plug". Then when I tell you (correctly) that you don't have a clue, you say "If he's so good, why didn't they offer him a contract".

If you want to talk about putting words in someone's mouth, your line "if he is as great a player as you make him out to be" is a perfect example. Not once did I make such a claim.

So really, these insults you`re throwing around like dumbass and idiot are only describing your own level of intelligence.

So really eh? I still didnt use the fact that he wasnt offered a contract as a direct explanation for why I think he's a plug, You made that connection. And here you are defending him and getting all pi ssy because I called him a plug and saying he's better than so and so and cheaper... it makes it sound like you are praising him and that you regard him as a good player does it not? Or does it mean you think he sucks? By the way, I didnt exactly say that you said he was great when I said "if he is as great a player as you make him out to be". In other words what I meant is its like saying "if he's a good as you make him sound".....you know? And you started with the insulting first, not me. So what does that say about you? Its ok for you to say crap like braindead and act like a pompous ashole know it all but if someone else does it back to you then it means they are low in intelligence.

Edited by Heli_Kopitar, 27 June 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#140 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,324 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

So apparently I am a better judge of talent than you are.

The fact that Joe Nieuwendyk said this about him (pretty much what I have said all along) backs it up.

"Aaron is a physical defensive defenseman who adds size and grit to our blue line," said Nieuwendyk. "He competes at a very high level and helps make our team harder to play against. We're very pleased to add Aaron to our team for the next three years."

Lets not forget that the Stars gave him close to double what the Canucks were paying him. It should go to show (to anyone with a half a brain anyway) what a bargain this "useless plug" was in Vancouver.

#141 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

The fact that Joe Nieuwendyk said this about him (pretty much what I have said all along) backs it up.

"Aaron is a physical defensive defenseman who adds size and grit to our blue line," said Nieuwendyk. "He competes at a very high level and helps make our team harder to play against. We're very pleased to add Aaron to our team for the next three years."

Lets not forget that the Stars gave him close to double what the Canucks were paying him. It should go to show (to anyone with a half a brain anyway) what a bargain this "useless plug" was in Vancouver.

Well said Sir!
Rome unfortunately suffered in many ways from "AV contamination" for many of the people who labelled him a plug. I will miss his grit and tenacity.
Kevin.jpg

#142 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

He wasn't a bargain he is just overpaid now(well maybe not with the contracts going around these days). He got paid to be exactly what he was and is a 6-7 journeyman. The hate just comes from all the overuse like when AV would stick him out on the 2nd PP unit. As far as it goes I am happy for him but I would rather have Alberts as our spare dman as he brings a bit more size and physicality.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#143 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,324 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

He wasn't a bargain he is just overpaid now(well maybe not with the contracts going around these days). He got paid to be exactly what he was and is a 6-7 journeyman. The hate just comes from all the overuse like when AV would stick him out on the 2nd PP unit. As far as it goes I am happy for him but I would rather have Alberts as our spare dman as he brings a bit more size and physicality.

I disagree that he was "overused". He only received extra duty when someone else was injured, or was unable to do the job (sometimes both) The popular "AV's favorite" label is as mythical as it is trite. When Ballard finally stepped up his game last season, he played against the Kings instead of Rome.

I also disagree that Rome wasn't a bargain in his time with the Canucks. A solid, physical 3rd pairing guy who can step up and fill in for injured members of the top four without being a liability is easily worth more than 800k.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.