The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Value

Captain_Burrows

I searched and could not find any topics on this specifically, if I missed it I am sorry.

Everyone seems to have a different idea of what Luongo's value is.

Without naming players or teams what would you give up for Luongo if you were not a Canuck fan and GM of another team. Try to take yourself away from biasing the Canucks as much as you possibly can.

I think it would be fair to trade a 1st round pick/prospect and a 3/4 dman OR 2nd line winger/3rd line center. Depending on the skill of the player the pick could be changed to a 2nd rounder.

If that what Gillis is asking for then Burke doesn't deserve Luongo.

What would you give up to get Luongo?

and here we go..

IMO, this is an excellent question. It's so easy to overrate the players that play for your favorite team. Now it's time to think from the outside perspective.

If you were ANY other team, why would you want Luongo and that 10 year contract for 5.3 mil/year. That's horrible for a 33 year old goalie, that is on his way out of his prime and also lost his starting position to a player that's 10 years younger.

If the canucks were so quick to replace him then that doesn't make him elite status. Plus the trade kicker makes it extremely hard to get anything in return.

On topic: I'd say his value his role players. Don't expect to get top-6 or top-D for him. Not even close to a chance that will happen.

The contract is bad, but if Im on a team that wants to have a chance at winning the cup -/make the playoffs(edit) for the next 5 years I can deal with it. I think people forget how important it is for teams to try and win NOW. Luongo gives you that. I think thats enough to give up one top 4 dman or top 6 forward.

The contract is bad, but if Im on a team that wants to have a chance at winning the cup -/make the playoffs(edit) for the next 5 years I can deal with it. I think people forget how important it is for teams to try and win NOW. Luongo gives you that. I think thats enough to give up one top 4 dman or top 6 forward.

An apparent 'cap dump' trade would've been completed already. But Gillis wants to turn it into a legit hockey trade.

There's the pressure of getting a deal done so your other deals can go through. That's where the pressure is likely on Burke's shoulders. If anyone breaks, it's him.

If Luongo insists on Florida, then it'll probably take longer to get done. Tallon and Gillis have relatively little pressure on them. Likely teams will all go into the season with what they have and if teams start to fail out the gate, that will add pressure to get a deal done. Cheers.

TOML

problem with that thinking... if he is that good, why are the Canucks willing to part with him? It's a double edge sword.. you are shopping a goalie you don't have much confidence in, yet trying to tell teams you have total confidence in him.

I hate to say it, but you are probably going to have to take "less" in order to unload him

who knows????

im assuming mg wanted gardiner from toronto and burke wouldnt budge and mg wanted gudbranson from fla and wouldnt tallon play ball either...i wouldnt trade those guys either, mg is smoking some strong stuff if he thinks he is gonna land a stud prospect like that in a package for luongo

mg is cornering himself into a awkard and difficult situation

i wish i knew what teams are offering so i could be on board with mg's decisions

This is a very good question that needs to take into account Luongo's value as a player and his contract to a team. So lets look at this from 3 points. 1: Solely based on player value 2: Based on player value and contract separately. 3 Player value and Contract combined.

1. So based purely on the skill of Luongo we should be able to get for Luongo:

A top six forward or top 4 d-man

and a prospect.

2. Based on Value and Contract separately. In this case we will get players with the same player value as luongo but will have to take back an ugly contract( similar to what we did with Reinprecht). In which case we would get:

Top Six Forward or top 4 d-man

and a depth player with a bad contract.

3. Based on both contract and player value combined Lu is worth:

Second Line Forward or good checking center or second pairing d-man

and a pick/prospect. ( not a first round pick or highly touted prospect just someone with potential.)

So in reality it'll be hard for MG to get what he wants due to Lu's contract but if he takes a bad contract in return he could get a decent return.

The original Luongo trade is probably the closest comparable. At the time it looked like Florida won the trade, as Bertuzzi was a prominent power forward in need of a fresh start. Gillis needs to make sure that we don't get a guy who's pretty much done being prominent. Cheers.

TOML

Luongo's contract is very similar to Carter and Richards. I don't give a shat about age - Luongo is and will be as valuable as either of them for as long as they are around.

Staal just rejected a massive offer from Pitt, has only a year left before UFA - and fetched Sutter, a high first and a third piece.

Luongo is worth something in the range between those deals.

Johnson and a 1st.

Vorachek and a first (Couturier)

Schenn, Simmonds and a 2nd

Sutter, 8th overall, Dumoulin

With all due respect a franchise goaltender is as valuable as a 2nd line center/winger...

Archived