The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Value

Captain_Burrows

If we could get something along the lines of:

A top 4 DMan + a decent prospect (checking line forward or bottom pair DMan potential),

A good Checking line player + 2 decent prospects or 1 good prospect (Top 6 forward or top 4 DMan potential),

Or a Top 6 forward (preferably a playmaker) + a decent prospect

Then I would be fairly pleased.

problem with that thinking... if he is that good, why are the Canucks willing to part with him? It's a double edge sword.. you are shopping a goalie you don't have much confidence in, yet trying to tell teams you have total confidence in him.

I hate to say it, but you are probably going to have to take "less" in order to unload him

LOL, that's why the canucks are having great offers by other GM's. Plus the NTC makes it even harder to move him. Plus, most teams don't want an overrated and out of his prime goalie.

face it, just like your username, Luongo is old news.

The original Luongo trade is probably the closest comparable. At the time it looked like Florida won the trade, as Bertuzzi was a prominent power forward in need of a fresh start. Gillis needs to make sure that we don't get a guy who's pretty much done being prominent. Cheers.

TOML

The original Luongo trade is probably the closest comparable. At the time it looked like Florida won the trade, as Bertuzzi was a prominent power forward in need of a fresh start. Gillis needs to make sure that we don't get a guy who's pretty much done being prominent. Cheers.

TOML

Luongo has significant value to this President's Trophy contending team and at times is the best player on the ice. So a team that is less then stellar and weak on goaltending is without question going to be getting something of significant value and be a significant trade up. So, to trade him, we need significant value back. We just have too many really good goaltenders, hence the dilemma and trade talks.

I wonder about Luongo's trade value. Apparently Gillis felt he was worth more that Schenn straight-up. While I believe that Luongo is a good goalie I think that his market value is down after the season he just had.

Does anyone even know the real list of teams that Luongo was supposedly going to summit to Gillis?

It seems like over a month ago he was going to give Gillis a list of 5 teams he would be willing to go to, but all I ever heard was speculation and rumors of the 5 teams, never the actual list from Luongo. Of course there are teams who want goalies and names are out their, but what about the actual list Luongo was going to make? What ever happened to that? Or has it just not come out publicly?

Does anyone even know the real list of teams that Luongo was supposedly going to summit to Gillis?

It seems like over a month ago he was going to give Gillis a list of 5 teams he would be willing to go to, but all I ever heard was speculation and rumors of the 5 teams, never the actual list from Luongo. Of course there are teams who want goalies and names are out their, but what about the actual list Luongo was going to make? What ever happened to that? Or has it just not come out publicly?

and here we go..

IMO, this is an excellent question. It's so easy to overrate the players that play for your favorite team. Now it's time to think from the outside perspective.

If you were ANY other team, why would you want Luongo and that 10 year contract for 5.3 mil/year. That's horrible for a 33 year old goalie, that is on his way out of his prime and also lost his starting position to a player that's 10 years younger.

If the canucks were so quick to replace him then that doesn't make him elite status. Plus the trade kicker makes it extremely hard to get anything in return.

On topic: I'd say his value his role players. Don't expect to get top-6 or top-D for him. Not even close to a chance that will happen.

My guess is if he goes to Florida, we'll get a player each out of these categories:

Forwards - Matthias, Upshall, Versteeg, or, Flesichmann

and

Defense - Campbell, Gudbranson, Garrison (negotiating rights?), or Ellerby.

Of course, the Canucks would have to package Luongo with a prospect or other players to do this (ex. Raymond, Sauve, Hansen, Connauton, etc.)

Archived