Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Luongo's Value

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#31 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,285 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

Wouldn't shock me to see Versteeg a Canuck next season. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#32 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Luongo has significant value to this President's Trophy contending team and at times is the best player on the ice. So a team that is less then stellar and weak on goaltending is without question going to be getting something of significant value and be a significant trade up. So, to trade him, we need significant value back. We just have too many really good goaltenders, hence the dilemma and trade talks.
"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#33 Scoob

Scoob

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

I wonder about Luongo's trade value. Apparently Gillis felt he was worth more that Schenn straight-up. While I believe that Luongo is a good goalie I think that his market value is down after the season he just had.

Lou had a good season. His GAA was about where he usually is playing for the Canucks. 31 wins on 55 games. Still pretty good. .919 save % is solid. You also have to consider the Canucks playstyle. They don't sit back with 4 players blocking shots like some other teams. If the Canucks played like the Rangers or Kings, his GAA would be well under 2.00 as well. But the day they play like that is the day I stop watching. That kind of hockey is boring as hell.

OT: Luongo's value is still pretty high. To the Canucks, he's worth keeping because he's still a great player. They can still trade away Schneider's rights, and if they don't, they can still match a lowball offer to him. If the offer is high, the Canucks will get a lot of picks. Schneider is still unproven in a lot of ways. When he gets more than one full season behind his belt we'll see. Afterall, Jim Carey won a Vezina, and then just ate it a year later. The goalie is an interesting beast for sure, and one you don't want to gamble to highly on.

#34 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

Does anyone even know the real list of teams that Luongo was supposedly going to summit to Gillis?

It seems like over a month ago he was going to give Gillis a list of 5 teams he would be willing to go to, but all I ever heard was speculation and rumors of the 5 teams, never the actual list from Luongo. Of course there are teams who want goalies and names are out their, but what about the actual list Luongo was going to make? What ever happened to that? Or has it just not come out publicly?

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#35 Captain_Burrows

Captain_Burrows

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

Does anyone even know the real list of teams that Luongo was supposedly going to summit to Gillis?

It seems like over a month ago he was going to give Gillis a list of 5 teams he would be willing to go to, but all I ever heard was speculation and rumors of the 5 teams, never the actual list from Luongo. Of course there are teams who want goalies and names are out their, but what about the actual list Luongo was going to make? What ever happened to that? Or has it just not come out publicly?

I think it was all rumours but the teams were somethihng like: Toronto, Tampa Bay(Lindeback) , Florida, New Jersey(if Marty retired)

Pretty much places where he can be number #1 guaranteed. Or Where his family is.
I Should Be Laughing Right Now.

#36 klosetotheheart

klosetotheheart

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

and here we go..

IMO, this is an excellent question. It's so easy to overrate the players that play for your favorite team. Now it's time to think from the outside perspective.

If you were ANY other team, why would you want Luongo and that 10 year contract for 5.3 mil/year. That's horrible for a 33 year old goalie, that is on his way out of his prime and also lost his starting position to a player that's 10 years younger.

If the canucks were so quick to replace him then that doesn't make him elite status. Plus the trade kicker makes it extremely hard to get anything in return.

On topic: I'd say his value his role players. Don't expect to get top-6 or top-D for him. Not even close to a chance that will happen.

problem with that thinking... if he is that good, why are the Canucks willing to part with him? It's a double edge sword.. you are shopping a goalie you don't have much confidence in, yet trying to tell teams you have total confidence in him.

I hate to say it, but you are probably going to have to take "less" in order to unload him

You guys act like we want nothing to do with Luongo and that hes garbage. If we didn't have Schneider, who is top 5 in the league imo we would be keeping Luongo gladly. Most teams dont have a young unreal goalie like we do.

Gillis isnt going to settle for less with Luongo, if he doesnt receive a decent offer he will wait till trade deadline.

#37 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,561 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

My guess is if he goes to Florida, we'll get a player each out of these categories:

Forwards - Matthias, Upshall, Versteeg, or, Flesichmann

and

Defense - Campbell, Gudbranson, Garrison (negotiating rights?), or Ellerby.

Of course, the Canucks would have to package Luongo with a prospect or other players to do this (ex. Raymond, Sauve, Hansen, Connauton, etc.)

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#38 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

5.33 million
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#39 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,163 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

If Luongo was a pending UFA right now, would MG even try to sign him?

Not with Schneider in the fold. However, nobody else in the league has that luxury.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#40 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

5.33 million

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#41 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Luo for franson colbourne and a 3rd

#42 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

Wouldn't shock me to see Versteeg a Canuck next season. Cheers.

TOML

which would suck

#43 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

The original Luongo trade is probably the closest comparable. At the time it looked like Florida won the trade, as Bertuzzi was a prominent power forward in need of a fresh start. Gillis needs to make sure that we don't get a guy who's pretty much done being prominent. Cheers.

TOML

What? Other than Mike Keenan and kids wearing 44 jerseys, did ANYONE think FLA won the trade? You have to be kidding. Beruzzi was a power forward 3 years removed from being relevant.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#44 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

http://forum.canucks...lue-assessment/

Its time for all of you Jr. General Managers to take off your rose colored glasses

I have noticed that CDC puts a heavy price tag on the players we have on our Vancouver Canucks.

Some people on this Forum Truly Believe that Ballard + Raymond + Luongo can land ANY nhl prospect or Elite future HHOF'er

The way I see it is a little pessimistic but more realistic.

this is how I value our players
Let’s turn the tables.

Say Luongo + Ballard + Raymond played on a different team
Say we needed a goaltender or forward or defenseman.
What players and assets would you be comfortable giving up?

This is the depth chart, check it out to help you decide
http://www.capgeek.c....php?team_id=29

Raymond = Peter Andersson + 5th rd pick

Ballard = Maholtra + Alberts

Luongo = ??? I can’t find anything in our depth chart that I would want to get rid of that would be enough to land Luongo with out disrupting the roster and or the prospect pool. Well except for Raymond, Ballard, Maholtra, Alberts. Maybe Booth.

Now can you put yourself in Tallon/ Burke's chair?

That is why this deal may never get done, it’s really hard to value Luongo when you want to make your team BETTER.

For those that say Gillis wants a Roster player and 2 Elite prospects

1-Booth or Edler or Hammer?
2-Lack, Kassian, Tanev, Volpatti?

Would that make us better?

Over value will set you up for disappointment, a trade works both ways. If you believe MG was owned in the KoHo trade you are a good example of a over value'er

Edited by Noheart, 25 June 2012 - 07:09 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#45 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

What? Other than Mike Keenan and kids wearing 44 jerseys, did ANYONE think FLA won the trade? You have to be kidding. Beruzzi was a power forward 3 years removed from being relevant.

Ill try and find it...but Panthers media and their smallish fanbase were quite stoked about Bert coming to Florida.

There is a video fluff piece where they followed Bert around as he golfed.

But you are right, Canadians knew that was probably one of the more modern NHL lopsided trades

Posted Image

#46 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Lou had a good season. His GAA was about where he usually is playing for the Canucks. 31 wins on 55 games. Still pretty good. .919 save % is solid. You also have to consider the Canucks playstyle. They don't sit back with 4 players blocking shots like some other teams. If the Canucks played like the Rangers or Kings, his GAA would be well under 2.00 as well. But the day they play like that is the day I stop watching. That kind of hockey is boring as hell.

OT: Luongo's value is still pretty high. To the Canucks, he's worth keeping because he's still a great player. They can still trade away Schneider's rights, and if they don't, they can still match a lowball offer to him. If the offer is high, the Canucks will get a lot of picks. Schneider is still unproven in a lot of ways. When he gets more than one full season behind his belt we'll see. Afterall, Jim Carey won a Vezina, and then just ate it a year later. The goalie is an interesting beast for sure, and one you don't want to gamble to highly on.

So...why was Schneider 1.96 and Lou was 2.42...I missed that part...or did you forget about Schneider playing for same team , and not the Rangers or Kings !!! Sorry..Lou is still good but far from great !!

#47 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

So...why was Schneider 1.96 and Lou was 2.42...I missed that part...or did you forget about Schneider playing for same team , and not the Rangers or Kings !!! Sorry..Lou is still good but far from great !!

Why is this constantly used as some type of leverage to discredit Lu's season?!

Both played great.

The bottom line was that Lu played more games, and was excellent.

Schnieds was a major bonus putting in a few more games than originally planned, and killed it.

Idiots and media painted that as a goaltending controversy, i likened it to having a solid goalie tandem that could help the team go far in the playoffs.

Goddamn shame their skaters forgot their defensive assignments when it mattered in front of either Lu or Cory.

Lu also became the best goaltender the Canucks ever had this past season.

Posted Image

#48 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

problem with that thinking... if he is that good, why are the Canucks willing to part with him? It's a double edge sword.. you are shopping a goalie you don't have much confidence in, yet trying to tell teams you have total confidence in him.

I hate to say it, but you are probably going to have to take "less" in order to unload him

Because we have 2 goalies like that and not enough cash under the salary cap with Schneider up for a raise. Plus Luongo should fetch a good return.

I would like to see...
A big, tough top 4 Dman (preferably who could play with Edler) with shutdown skills + checking forward
A large top 6 winger who can play with the Sedins
3rd Line Shutdown centreman + Checking forward + + prospect
Or a package involving a few more players. (Because other teams may not value him as much as we do. But in a package we can get better value)

#49 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

I searched and could not find any topics on this specifically, if I missed it I am sorry.

Everyone seems to have a different idea of what Luongo's value is.

Without naming players or teams what would you give up for Luongo if you were not a Canuck fan and GM of another team. Try to take yourself away from biasing the Canucks as much as you possibly can.

I think it would be fair to trade a 1st round pick/prospect and a 3/4 dman OR 2nd line winger/3rd line center. Depending on the skill of the player the pick could be changed to a 2nd rounder.

If that what Gillis is asking for then Burke doesn't deserve Luongo.

What would you give up to get Luongo?

In order for the Canucks to get me to take him, I'd have to be able to dump a ton of bad cap space on them.

#50 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Because we have 2 goalies like that and not enough cash under the salary cap with Schneider up for a raise. Plus Luongo should fetch a good return.

I would like to see...
A big, tough top 4 Dman (preferably who could play with Edler) with shutdown skills + checking forward
A large top 6 winger who can play with the Sedins
3rd Line Shutdown centreman + Checking forward + + prospect
Or a package involving a few more players. (Because other teams may not value him as much as we do. But in a package we can get better value)

You are joking, right?

#51 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

Why is this constantly used as some type of leverage to discredit Lu's season?!

Both played great.

The bottom line was that Lu played more games, and was excellent.

Schnieds was a major bonus putting in a few more games than originally planned, and killed it.

Idiots and media painted that as a goaltending controversy, i likened it to having a solid goalie tandem that could help the team go far in the playoffs.

Goddamn shame their skaters forgot their defensive assignments when it mattered in front of either Lu or Cory.

Lu also became the best goaltender the Canucks ever had this past season.

Luo sucked, Schneider played great - almost half a goal per game difference.

#52 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

Luo for franson colbourne and a 3rd

You are dreaming intechnicolor.

#53 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

imagine this line up:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zach Parise ($6.000m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Colton Orr ($1.000m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Mason Raymond ($2.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($4.500m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($3.500m)
Marty Turco ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,061,667; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $238,333

​lu to Toronto for Gardiner and colton orr
sign suter and parise
give Schneider a raise to 3.5 per for 4 years

game, set, match

Edited by mbal23, 25 June 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#54 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

It's impossible to discuss cause each side either over-values or under-values what he's worth.

I'd hate to be in GMMG position right now with everyone lowballing you and trying to get you to trade him for peanuts, but holding out might screw up upcoming season plans with resigning people, specifically CS35.

#55 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

If Luongo gets too picky with his list of teams he's willing to go to we won't get much of a return at all.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#56 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

imagine this line up:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zach Parise ($6.000m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Colton Orr ($1.000m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Mason Raymond ($2.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($4.500m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($3.500m)
Marty Turco ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,061,667; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $238,333

​lu to Toronto for Gardiner and colton orr
sign suter and parise
give Schneider a raise to 3.5 per for 4 years

game, set, match

Edler and Bieksa :sadno: .

#57 nuckfanfromafrica

nuckfanfromafrica

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

My guess is if he goes to Florida, we'll get a player each out of these categories:

Forwards - Matthias, Upshall, Versteeg, or, Flesichmann

and

Defense - Campbell, Gudbranson, Garrison (negotiating rights?), or Ellerby.

Of course, the Canucks would have to package Luongo with a prospect or other players to do this (ex. Raymond, Sauve, Hansen, Connauton, etc.)

fair value IMO.

Luongo plus a prospect (Sauve) or pick = weiss, Matthias, gudbranson

#58 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

Edler and Bieksa :sadno: .

lol ooops...my bad

#59 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

It's because they feel they have a better option in Schneider. It's not that they don't have confidence in him, it's that they have more confidence in Cory.

I agree with the last bit though. I would be surprised if MG got much of anything for Luongo right now.

I have been thinking about this issue in a different way. If Luongo was a pending UFA right now, would MG even try to sign him?

keep in mind the context of my reply though. The statement was that Lu could put you in the "cup hunt" and that's why I said if it was true, why would you be trading him (playing devils advocate to it.) I won't deny that Lu could make a team better or help get them into the playoffs... but some of the people here are saying how great he is (saying how he'll still be a top goalie when he's 40) when in reality he's at the age when goalies start to "slide" away from their prime years.

So look at it from Florida's view... they have a roster full of prospects right now that haven't proven much. Why would they trade some of those away, for a goalie that'll help them "win now" when they really need a goalie that'll help them "win tomorrow" (so Cory would probably be the better fit) when those prospects should be hitting their prime years (and by that time Lu's probably already retired)

#60 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

I don't think we get much more than a mid-level prospect, a bottom 6 roster guy and a 2nd rounder to be honest.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.