The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Value

Captain_Burrows

The original Luongo trade is probably the closest comparable. At the time it looked like Florida won the trade, as Bertuzzi was a prominent power forward in need of a fresh start. Gillis needs to make sure that we don't get a guy who's pretty much done being prominent. Cheers.

TOML

/topic/331673-a-realistic-player-value-assessment/">http://forum.canucks...lue-assessment/

Its time for all of you Jr. General Managers to take off your rose colored glasses

I have noticed that CDC puts a heavy price tag on the players we have on our Vancouver Canucks.

Some people on this Forum Truly Believe that Ballard + Raymond + Luongo can land ANY nhl prospect or Elite future HHOF'er

The way I see it is a little pessimistic but more realistic.

this is how I value our players

Let’s turn the tables.

Say Luongo + Ballard + Raymond played on a different team

Say we needed a goaltender or forward or defenseman.

What players and assets would you be comfortable giving up?

This is the depth chart, check it out to help you decide

http://www.capgeek.c....php?team_id=29

Raymond = Peter Andersson + 5th rd pick

Ballard = Maholtra + Alberts

Luongo = ??? I can’t find anything in our depth chart that I would want to get rid of that would be enough to land Luongo with out disrupting the roster and or the prospect pool. Well except for Raymond, Ballard, Maholtra, Alberts. Maybe Booth.

Now can you put yourself in Tallon/ Burke's chair?

That is why this deal may never get done, it’s really hard to value Luongo when you want to make your team BETTER.

For those that say Gillis wants a Roster player and 2 Elite prospects

1-Booth or Edler or Hammer?

2-Lack, Kassian, Tanev, Volpatti?

Would that make us better?

Over value will set you up for disappointment, a trade works both ways. If you believe MG was owned in the KoHo trade you are a good example of a over value'er

Lou had a good season. His GAA was about where he usually is playing for the Canucks. 31 wins on 55 games. Still pretty good. .919 save % is solid. You also have to consider the Canucks playstyle. They don't sit back with 4 players blocking shots like some other teams. If the Canucks played like the Rangers or Kings, his GAA would be well under 2.00 as well. But the day they play like that is the day I stop watching. That kind of hockey is boring as hell.

OT: Luongo's value is still pretty high. To the Canucks, he's worth keeping because he's still a great player. They can still trade away Schneider's rights, and if they don't, they can still match a lowball offer to him. If the offer is high, the Canucks will get a lot of picks. Schneider is still unproven in a lot of ways. When he gets more than one full season behind his belt we'll see. Afterall, Jim Carey won a Vezina, and then just ate it a year later. The goalie is an interesting beast for sure, and one you don't want to gamble to highly on.

problem with that thinking... if he is that good, why are the Canucks willing to part with him? It's a double edge sword.. you are shopping a goalie you don't have much confidence in, yet trying to tell teams you have total confidence in him.

I hate to say it, but you are probably going to have to take "less" in order to unload him

I searched and could not find any topics on this specifically, if I missed it I am sorry.

Everyone seems to have a different idea of what Luongo's value is.

Without naming players or teams what would you give up for Luongo if you were not a Canuck fan and GM of another team. Try to take yourself away from biasing the Canucks as much as you possibly can.

I think it would be fair to trade a 1st round pick/prospect and a 3/4 dman OR 2nd line winger/3rd line center. Depending on the skill of the player the pick could be changed to a 2nd rounder.

If that what Gillis is asking for then Burke doesn't deserve Luongo.

What would you give up to get Luongo?

Because we have 2 goalies like that and not enough cash under the salary cap with Schneider up for a raise. Plus Luongo should fetch a good return.

I would like to see...

A big, tough top 4 Dman (preferably who could play with Edler) with shutdown skills + checking forward

A large top 6 winger who can play with the Sedins

3rd Line Shutdown centreman + Checking forward + + prospect

Or a package involving a few more players. (Because other teams may not value him as much as we do. But in a package we can get better value)

Why is this constantly used as some type of leverage to discredit Lu's season?!

Both played great.

The bottom line was that Lu played more games, and was excellent.

Schnieds was a major bonus putting in a few more games than originally planned, and killed it.

Idiots and media painted that as a goaltending controversy, i likened it to having a solid goalie tandem that could help the team go far in the playoffs.

Goddamn shame their skaters forgot their defensive assignments when it mattered in front of either Lu or Cory.

Lu also became the best goaltender the Canucks ever had this past season.

imagine this line up:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zach Parise ($6.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Colton Orr ($1.000m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Mason Raymond ($2.000m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($4.500m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.500m)

Marty Turco ($0.600m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,061,667; BONUSES: $212,500

CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $238,333

​lu to Toronto for Gardiner and colton orr

sign suter and parise

give Schneider a raise to 3.5 per for 4 years

game, set, match

It's impossible to discuss cause each side either over-values or under-values what he's worth.

I'd hate to be in GMMG position right now with everyone lowballing you and trying to get you to trade him for peanuts, but holding out might screw up upcoming season plans with resigning people, specifically CS35.

imagine this line up:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zach Parise ($6.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Colton Orr ($1.000m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Mason Raymond ($2.000m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($4.500m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.500m)

Marty Turco ($0.600m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,061,667; BONUSES: $212,500

CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $238,333

​lu to Toronto for Gardiner and colton orr

sign suter and parise

give Schneider a raise to 3.5 per for 4 years

game, set, match

My guess is if he goes to Florida, we'll get a player each out of these categories:

Forwards - Matthias, Upshall, Versteeg, or, Flesichmann

and

Defense - Campbell, Gudbranson, Garrison (negotiating rights?), or Ellerby.

Of course, the Canucks would have to package Luongo with a prospect or other players to do this (ex. Raymond, Sauve, Hansen, Connauton, etc.)

It's because they feel they have a better option in Schneider. It's not that they don't have confidence in him, it's that they have more confidence in Cory.

I agree with the last bit though. I would be surprised if MG got much of anything for Luongo right now.

I have been thinking about this issue in a different way. If Luongo was a pending UFA right now, would MG even try to sign him?

Archived