Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Luongo's Value

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#61 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

keep in mind the context of my reply though. The statement was that Lu could put you in the "cup hunt" and that's why I said if it was true, why would you be trading him (playing devils advocate to it.) I won't deny that Lu could make a team better or help get them into the playoffs... but some of the people here are saying how great he is (saying how he'll still be a top goalie when he's 40) when in reality he's at the age when goalies start to "slide" away from their prime years.

So look at it from Florida's view... they have a roster full of prospects right now that haven't proven much. Why would they trade some of those away, for a goalie that'll help them "win now" when they really need a goalie that'll help them "win tomorrow" (so Cory would probably be the better fit) when those prospects should be hitting their prime years (and by that time Lu's probably already retired)

The Panthers have Markstrom and maybe they think Lu is a big part of Schneiders success, so signing Lu to mentor Markstrom may well be worth it to get Markstrom to where Cory is now.

#62 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

The Panthers have Markstrom and maybe they think Lu is a big part of Schneiders success, so signing Lu to mentor Markstrom may well be worth it to get Markstrom to where Cory is now.

In your dreams, Schneider should be tutoring Luongo as he is much better technically...Lou does not have much to offer as a mentor me thinks and Lou had nothing to do with Schneiders success. !!!!!!!!!!!

#63 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

fair value IMO.

Luongo plus a prospect (Sauve) or pick = weiss, Matthias, gudbranson

Weiss is not coming to Vancouver for Luongo.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#64 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

In your dreams, Schneider should be tutoring Luongo as he is much better technically...Lou does not have much to offer as a mentor me thinks and Lou had nothing to do with Schneiders success. !!!!!!!!!!!

are you stupid? Cory has directly said in interviews that luongos preparation and focus have helped him get better at preparing and being ready to play

#65 pghockeyguy

pghockeyguy

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

LOUNGO HAS NO VALUE!!! Over and over again people keep throwing out Gardiner and Gubranson and it will never happen. Loungo has no value he is a 33 year old goalie with a 10 year contract! We might get a 4/5 D man or a 3rd liner and a 2nd round pick. Gillis is highballing and is going to run out of time. You think that Toronto and florida and whoever else Gillis has had talks with are just waiting for the price to come down? No they are persueing other options daily if they have a need. There are young goalies (Bernier, Enroth, Lehner, Neuvirth that are available at a fraction of the price for same trade value. Depending what side of the fence you are on whether it Lou or Cory. Just think if we miss out trading Lou for say nothing how are you going to feel when Cory is a yearly allstar and we still have a 5.33 million 37 year old goalie that has regressed every year? Now is the time to cut the ties before its too late. Every year we wait his value drops and the chances of another team picking up that insane contract diminishes.

#66 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

are you stupid? Cory has directly said in interviews that luongos preparation and focus have helped him get better at preparing and being ready to play

Of course hes going to support Lou, because he gets asked pointed questions on the subject. I'm not saying Lou has not helped him but he sure is not responsible for Schneiders improved play or success, you might look to Rollie Melanson for that. Lou is a nervous goaltender who loses focus.

#67 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:57 AM

Watching the circus act between Pens and Flyers series, I imagine a goalie like Luongo would be worth the money for many teams.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

I know this. I'm never wrong.

#68 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

I think we all underestimate Lu.

With a hard hitting defensive D in front of him most top teams would be looking at AT LEAST one SC imo. Lu is a winner, he has also CARRIED this defence (most of who think they are forwards) on his back for years.

So for me he would be worth, to the right team, and Florida seem to be putting the pieces in place, a Perry calibre winger AND a young rising D like Sbisa.............Unfortunately it's Florida we are talking about and I'm not sure the Ducks need a goalie.

Frankly, I think all this would go down better if we kept Lu (got him a couple of real big defenders) and traded Cory.

Edited by Bodee, 29 June 2012 - 03:27 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#69 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

Are you serious? Had it not been for Luongo's stellar play from 2006-07 forward, Schneider would had to have been rushed into the starting position and already gone the way of a one Mr. Alexander Auld. Proper development was possible because of Roberto Luongo.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.