The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks-Gragnani, Oreskovich, Rome, Ebbett, Duco and Parent Not Qualified, Unrestricted Free Agents

Danimal

Coho received a higher offensive zone % than the Sedins in January. That would be Hodgson's 'rookie of the month' month. So i guess AV felt it was okay to play Hodgson a lot in January.

OR maybe Gillis was correct when he said we built Hodgson into something we could trade. Either way, he's gone. Not sure what da frack Hodgson has to do with this thread though.

Or is someone suggesting that we should've benched vets in favour of Grags, Oreo, Duco and Parent? Cheers.

TOML

Don't be an idiot. He was clearly talking about losing Sulzer (who Buffalo loves) and getting MAG back in return (who we don't even like enough to qualify).

And it's not the fact that Hodgson was traded that stings, it's what we got in return.

^^^ THIS EXACTLY. The flack kassian gets on these boards is a joke, the guy will be a great hard hitting scoring player, just need patience. Take a look at Bertuzzi's, Lucic's, etc stats at age 21, you won't see great numbers. These power forwards with great potential take time to develop, at least watch him play for the full next year before judging (hopefully gets top 6 mins, I want him given a shot with the sedins for an extended period of time). And if you guys are really that butt hurt about hodgson, the kid is on for a lot more goals scored against than points he chips in, his defensive skills, or lack thereof, don't get enough attention compared to his point production.

I think the reason Gragnani wasn't kept was because management likely felt Connauton is ready to compete for a spot. Connauton plays a similar offensive game as Gragnani, but is more physical.

As for people getting worried about the Hodgson for Kassian swap, just remember that Buffalo just drafted two first round centermen. It kind of shows the faith they have in him and the rest of their centers now and in the near future.

Interesting stuff that so many contracts are getting released. We know the Nucks like to keep 8 d-men on the roster, but only have 5 signed for next yr (6 of you include Tanev). Either they're bringing up some Wolves prospects, or they're signing some new guys this summer?

Question for all the people disappointed Hodgson left and are saying MG did a horrible job on the Hodgson trade. If by not re-signing Rome, Parent and Gragnani, the Canucks are able to sign Justin Schultz, do people stop bitching? We let go of 4 depth defenders and our top prospect at the time go for 2 top prospects.

Out: (over last 6 months)

Hodgson

Rome

Gragnani

Parent

Sulzer

Oreo

Ebbett

Duco

In: (Last 6 months)

Kassian

Schultz

It's one thing to look exclusively at a trade and compare them but its equally important to look at the things a trade allows a team to do down the road. On top of adding Kassian and Possibly Schultz, we were able to add Brendan Gaunce to our system. If we still had Hodgson, I don't think we would have drafted Gaunce, I think we would have likely drafted a winger but because we moved Hodgson and needed another C in our system, we grabbed Gaunce and we may even be adding Cody Franson's tounger brother Cain Franson if he does well during our prospects camp (I'm actually not sure if we can sign him, I believe he's only 19) So things look more like this:

Out: (over last 6 months)

Hodgson

Rome

Gragnani

Parent

Sulzer

Orescovich

Ebbett

Duco

In: (Last 6 months)

Kassian

Schultz

Gaunce

Caine Franson

IMO, that's a pretty good improvement to our system

> The Cody trade is looking worse with each passing day.

So naive...

1. Kassian is a year behind Hodgson in development.

2. So, you don't compare him to Hodgson of this year, you compare him to Hodgson of last year.

3. Last year, Hodgson had 2 NHL points and was a middling AHL player (0.58ppg).

4. This year, Kassian had 10 NHL points and was a near-dominant player (0.87ppg) in the AHL.

5. Hodgson plays a position we have two trophy winners playing already.

6. Kassian plays a position we need.

Archived