Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Canucks-Gragnani, Oreskovich, Rome, Ebbett, Duco and Parent Not Qualified, Unrestricted Free Agents

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#31 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Gragnani was a plug. If he picks up his game a bit, he might be like a Marc-Andre Bergeron but that is probably his ceiling

#32 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

Wow......Hodgson deal is looking worse by the minute....basically we got Kassian for Hodgson now. MG losing some of his GM credibility on this one i'm afraid.

Kassian for Hodgson and Sulzer. Sulzer has been solid for the Sabres thus far.

#33 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

> The Cody trade is looking worse with each passing day.

So naive...

1. Kassian is a year behind Hodgson in development.
2. So, you don't compare him to Hodgson of this year, you compare him to Hodgson of last year.
3. Last year, Hodgson had 2 NHL points and was a middling AHL player (0.58ppg).
4. This year, Kassian had 10 NHL points and was a near-dominant player (0.87ppg) in the AHL.
5. Hodgson plays a position we have two trophy winners playing already.
6. Kassian plays a position we need.

The expectation was that MAG would be of some use to us.
Posted Image

#34 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

MG should've offered Ebbet at least a 1 year deal. He was a great depth player.

#35 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

I wouldn't have mind if they kept Ebbett. Would like to keep Grags too.

Posted Image

#36 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Strombone is going to destroy Duco on twitter.

#37 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Kassian for Hodgson and Sulzer. Sulzer has been solid for the Sabres thus far.

They ran a clip of Sulzer and Hodgson running around in their own end unable to stop the great maple leafs offense on hnic. Sulzer is a 7/8 depth Dman.

Edited by playboi19, 25 June 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#38 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

> The Cody trade is looking worse with each passing day.

So naive...

1. Kassian is a year behind Hodgson in development.
2. So, you don't compare him to Hodgson of this year, you compare him to Hodgson of last year.
3. Last year, Hodgson had 2 NHL points and was a middling AHL player (0.58ppg).
4. This year, Kassian had 10 NHL points and was a near-dominant player (0.87ppg) in the AHL.
5. Hodgson plays a position we have two trophy winners playing already.
6. Kassian plays a position we need.

^^^ THIS EXACTLY. The flack kassian gets on these boards is a joke, the guy will be a great hard hitting scoring player, just need patience. Take a look at Bertuzzi's, Lucic's, etc stats at age 21, you won't see great numbers. These power forwards with great potential take time to develop, at least watch him play for the full next year before judging (hopefully gets top 6 mins, I want him given a shot with the sedins for an extended period of time). And if you guys are really that butt hurt about hodgson, the kid is on for a lot more goals scored against than points he chips in, his defensive skills, or lack thereof, don't get enough attention compared to his point production.

#39 ThaManbeast

ThaManbeast

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

I thought MG said he signed him already? And doesn't AV love the guy? Seems weird to me.

- Game Changing -

Tha ManbeasT

#40 Joffrey Lupul

Joffrey Lupul

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,395 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Strombone is going to destroy Duco on twitter.

Strombone@strombone1
Hey bud @Duco1787 wanna b roomies next year? Only have 2 stipulations 1-No pets allowed 2-I get shotgun on the crapper every morning Deal?
Expand

2zi66q8.jpgnv20o20imarksmanx_zpsb4f8b662.jpg?55

small.pngGM - STHS Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck.

#41 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

<p>

Hate to say but they are all expendable. Though Rome has been a reliable plug for the last 2 years.

The Cody trade is looking worse with each passing day.

I'm sure MG or Gillman at one point after the trade said something to the effect that Grags was a key to the deal.
Posted Image

#42 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

^^^ THIS EXACTLY. The flack kassian gets on these boards is a joke, the guy will be a great hard hitting scoring player, just need patience. Take a look at Bertuzzi's, Lucic's, etc stats at age 21, you won't see great numbers. These power forwards with great potential take time to develop, at least watch him play for the full next year before judging (hopefully gets top 6 mins, I want him given a shot with the sedins for an extended period of time). And if you guys are really that butt hurt about hodgson, the kid is on for a lot more goals scored against than points he chips in, his defensive skills, or lack thereof, don't get enough attention compared to his point production.

What about Gragnani?
Posted Image

#43 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

Gragnani was a fail. So was Parent.

Ebbett should of been qualified.

Ebbett wasn't an RFA
At only 24 and playing less than 20 games, can't say he was a fail. Showed plenty of offensive upside, just needs some defensive improvement. Could of resigned him for cheap
Posted Image

#44 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

What about Gragnani?

I wanted to focus on kassian hodgson since some people are still crying about Cody and not giving kassian a fair shot. In terms of gragnani, I feel he still needs time to develop and would've been good to keep him in the system with the wolves and see what happens, but I'm also not THAT disappointed that he wasn't qualified, opens up contract space and maybe were going hard after Schultz? I just wanted to make a point that I for one would still do the hodgson for kassian trade, as many don't realize coho's defensive liabilities, and he doesn't exactly have a vote of confidence from buffalo after they drafted 2 centers in the first round alone

#45 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

They ran a clip of Sulzer and Hodgson running around in their own end unable to stop the great maple leafs offense on hnic. Sulzer is a 7/8 depth Dman.

We can also run a clip of Luongo letting in 7 and 8 goals in elimination games.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#46 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

I hope Gragnani craps on us when he plays us.

Posted Image

#47 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

We can also run a clip of Luongo letting in 7 and 8 goals in elimination games.

Difference is one is a Gold Medalist at the Olympics, the other is a plug.

#48 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,490 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

Certainly more room for our prospects to come up. Yay.

TOML
Posted Image

#49 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think the reason Gragnani wasn't kept was because management likely felt Connauton is ready to compete for a spot. Connauton plays a similar offensive game as Gragnani, but is more physical.

As for people getting worried about the Hodgson for Kassian swap, just remember that Buffalo just drafted two first round centermen. It kind of shows the faith they have in him and the rest of their centers now and in the near future.

Edited by theo5789, 25 June 2012 - 02:33 PM.

VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#50 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Seems weird to let the AHL defenseman of the year walk away like that. Hell, I'd have thought he was a worthwhile project to qualify and see if we could develop him as a winger on the Wolves. He has the speed and puck skills to be a winger, and has played LW before, so if he was actually developed into that role, he could have potential as a 6'2, 210 lb, 3rd line LW...

#51 Danimal

Danimal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Seems weird to let the AHL defenseman of the year walk away like that. Hell, I'd have thought he was a worthwhile project to qualify and see if we could develop him as a winger on the Wolves. He has the speed and puck skills to be a winger, and has played LW before, so if he was actually developed into that role, he could have potential as a 6'2, 210 lb, 3rd line LW...

Also didn't we play him a certain amount of games so he wouldn't hit the Unrestricted free agent status and could stay as a restricted free agent? this is weird
Sig too big dude.

#52 Dream Theater

Dream Theater

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

1. Gragnani can still be signed if management even wants him.

2. People who are saying Buffalo won the Hodgson trade weren't paying very close attention to the draft...

3. Kassian is a very good player and I wouldn't be surprised to see him take huge strides next year.

4. Stop saying that Sulzer is a huge loss.

5. Put away your crystal balls.
Posted Image

#53 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

I don't think Ebbett was a RFA... I'm pretty sure he is an UFA...

The good thing about this is that Gillis is confident that a wave of fresh new UFAs will be coming in =)

I hope we at least get 1 impact player coming in and not just depth players like last year...

#54 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

This seems to be a different approach for Gillis he usually doesnt let assets go for free. The draft being so strong next year supposedly, i guess GM's are smarter with picks and less likely to trade them or Gillis has a plan to bring in a lot of new bodies. Is it July 1st yet?
http://Posted Image

#55 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

1. Gragnani can still be signed if management even wants him.

2. People who are saying Buffalo won the Hodgson trade weren't paying very close attention to the draft...

3. Kassian is a very good player and I wouldn't be surprised to see him take huge strides next year.

4. Stop saying that Sulzer is a huge loss.

5. Put away your crystal balls.

Please refer to item number 5.....

Though I do agree with all your points.

I hate how all the CoHo fanboys are so desparate to see Kassian fail so that their own opinions can be validated.

If you don't like the deal, fine. I am not thrilled with the trade in terms of meeting the team's immediate needs.

However, I really like Kassian and I want to see him succeed. Just because you (not referring to quoted poster) call yourself Hodgson's biggest fan, doesn't mean you have to hate on Kassian and talk about how he sucks.
Posted Image
Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#56 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hodgson trade and Ballard's deal are starting to really look like terrible deals....this wont be a great vote of confidence from the fans of the Vancouver faithful.

2moy3iq.png

#57 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Don't like the move to not re-sign Gragnani. I thought the Canucks won the Hodgson trade because both Kassian and Gragnani are young, decent players but now the trade seems more equal.

Hopefully Schultz signs with us.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#58 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

I hope MG fires the scout who endorses MAG and Oreskovich. Neither of them seem NHL worthy. Would have liked a draft pick instead. Not much of a loss though.

#59 Number1Pick

Number1Pick

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

We're going to regret not qualifying MAG down the road. It's idiotic to give up on a guy who put up 60 points in 63 AHL games just a year ago. He still needs a lot of development but he was a very promising prospect. Oh well guess he'll become a great player on another team down the line and we can all whine about it for the next few years.

Gragnani was a plug. Not sure why we moved Sulzer for him. Sulzer showed he was at least reliable depth. After watching Grags play I often wondered what he was doing. Coughed up the puck alot even in the offensive zone where he was supposed to be good, seemed out of sorts on the pp (would see him down low at the post often),not to mention his horrific defensive play.

He can skate thats about it. So who cares. Duco would have liked to have back for depth but I guess we must have plans for that in place, and would have liked to see Parent kept as depth as well but I guess this means they feel guys like Connaughton, Sauve/Corrado are ahead of him....

Gragnani was not a plug, he was more a project. He was an all star in the AHL, probably one of the top dmens in the AHL

and yes, we're going to regret it.

Wow......Hodgson deal is looking worse by the minute....basically we got Kassian for Hodgson now. MG losing some of his GM credibility on this one i'm afraid.

you have no right to say that, we technically had that deal won with gragnani coming along. Kassian & Hodgson are still on the hot seat.
Follow me @ twitter.com/my604life for all hockey talk on draft day & FA.

#60 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

Also didn't we play him a certain amount of games so he wouldn't hit the Unrestricted free agent status and could stay as a restricted free agent? this is weird

Yeah, they made sure to play him the required amount of games so he wouldn't be UFA, so it is strange that they didn't qualify him.

Run any clips you want, the facts are that Sulzer put up 8 points in 15 games for them (and was +2) while getting way higher minutes per game than he did here (7 of the 15 games he played over 21 minutes). Considering that the Sabres best defenseman was only a +5, I don't think Sulzer did so badly at all... and they re-signed him in May so they wanted him back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.