The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Refuses to waive NTC

JustNazzy

"Roberto Luongo is trying to take his talents to South Beach.

The Vancouver Canucks goaltender has refused to waive his no-trade clause for deals that would see him shipped to the Toronto Maple Leafs and Chicago Blackhawks, according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Post-Dispatch.

"Told by very good source #Canucks G Roberto Luongo has -- to this point -- declined to waive no-trade clause to go to #Blackhawks or #Leafs," Portzline tweeted Monday. "Luongo using the power of his no-trade to 'steer' a trade to #Panthers as much as possible at this point in off-season."

Canucks coach Alain Vigneault told TVA Sports in May that Luongo had requested a trade from the club.

The rise of backup Cory Schneider, who took over starting duties in net mid-way through Vancouver's first-round playoff series against the Los Angeles Kings -- a series the Canucks ended up losing -- this spring, has opened the door for such a deal.

Schneider is a pending restricted free agent while Luongo has 10 years left on a 12-year, $64-million contract."

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/25/luongo-rejects-trade-to-leafs-report

yeah Gillis wasn't thrilled with the Luke Shenn part of the deal but when Burke offered the 2nd round pick I think he thought about it. I didn't know that Luongo wouldn't waive his clause because all the media seemed to think that Toronto was on the list, as wll as Chicago.

I doubt this is true, just watching NHL Network and Bob Mackenzie is talking about it.

I dont think that there ever has been a complete deal in place where Gillis went to Roberto and asked, Luongo hasn't even supplied a list of teams, If there was a deal in place to go to Toronto I doubt he would refuse to waive his NTC.

It was obvious from the beginning he wants to be close to home with his wife, and the only 2 teams possible for that would of been Tampa or Florida. We all know Tampa is out of the running, so that really only leaves Florida, so wasn't to surprised by that. Vancouver is hard on goalies here, they always have been and that also has a lot to do with Luongo wanting out because of the fans and public and media who put all the blame on him, now really think about it would he really want to go to Toronto? Come on it's worse in Toronto then it is in Vancouver, why would Luongo want to leave Vancouver to go to a city who will be all over him all year if he doesn't play well or meet their expectations. It will be worse in Toronto then here and Luongo knows this and to why he will not go to Toronto.

Archived