The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big signing coming up?

L'Orange

I concur. While the detractors out there would point to his injury prone status, I feel that Salo's decade long tenure in Vancouver, in which Vancouver became a perennial contender, counts. Salo's understanding of the game and patience would be invaluable.

However Vancouver needs to add to it's defensive corps. Not in the bottom 4 either.

I don't agree with not extending Gragnani. He is young and could develop into a decent defenseman. Maybe the Canucks thought there wouldn't be room for him here, but then why not at least trade his rights?

I concur. While the detractors out there would point to his injury prone status, I feel that Salo's decade long tenure in Vancouver, in which Vancouver became a perennial contender, counts. Salo's understanding of the game and patience would be invaluable.

However Vancouver needs to add to it's defensive corps. Not in the bottom 4 either.

Salo is really important to this Franchise, he is important to a guy like Edler to help calm him and keep him on track. Moreover, when we win the cup next year, I want to see Sami Salo take the cup from Henrik.

He is the epitome of a Canuck, a warrior, unselfish, unassuming, plays for the logo in the front not the number on the back, a leader and an important depth player when we go deep. Even if he only plays 55 games and is healthy for the playoffs, with his bomb on the pp, teams have to be ready.

Sign him for one more year 1.5-2 and he'll stay.

Without a doubt sign Sami. Nothing would be better than seeing him raise the cup.

Edler? I don't know about him. At this point in his career he shouldn't have to have someone to keep him calm and on track. The fact that he requires this doesn't instill confidence. Just sayin.

Salo is really important to this Franchise, he is important to a guy like Edler to help calm him and keep him on track. Moreover, when we win the cup next year, I want to see Sami Salo take the cup from Henrik.

He is the epitome of a Canuck, a warrior, unselfish, unassuming, plays for the logo in the front not the number on the back, a leader and an important depth player when we go deep. Even if he only plays 55 games and is healthy for the playoffs, with his bomb on the pp, teams have to be ready.

Sign him for one more year 1.5-2 and he'll stay.

Couldn't agree more.

Besides my personal bias of Salo being a huge fave, it appears that he is really loved and appreciated by the players and organization.

Im down with another season of silky defence, great first passes, and Salo-bombs making the opposition fearful.

People have been saying this for 3 years. "Salo will help mentor and calm Edler down" it hasn't happened yet. It's entirely possible that Edler has simply plateaued, which if you ask me isn't such a bad plateau, 40+ points. He just doesn't seem to have the ability to put everything together, at times he's a defensive stalwart, others he's a liability. Sometimes he's a physical presence, a force to be reckoned with, other times he's invisible. Sometimes he's a lock offensively, other times he goes a long time without scoring.

Edler is now entering his prime years where we will get the most from him, I hope for his sake and the teams he is able to put it all together and have a legitimate break out year. We don't need Salo any longer to mentor or calm him down. If he hasn't learned what Salo has had to offer in the way of guidance over the past 3 years he won't learn it this year with us hanging on to a 37 turning 38 year old defenceman that has had as many unique injuries as candles on his birthday cake.

As much as I hate to say it, this is Edler's make it or break it season. If he doesn't put it all together and become our Shea Weber he's going to be that perennial T4 guy that can't quite hack it in the 1-2 spot, which isn't bad mind you but he has all the tools to be so much more.

Why the hell are you talking about cap space when half those guys would never be on the roster in the first place thus not taking up any cap space....

What i take out of this is were finally letting go some of the dead weight in this organization. Duco is a crap disturber and not who we need, Parent never panned out, MAG is a little surprising in that his stay was so short but not surprising when u looked at his play, Oreskovich never was going to cut this lineup. There's no point carrying these contracts when you know they'll never amount to anything.

Im sure MG is looking to improve the defense so i could understand Rome being let go from that standpoint but i wouldnt take too much out of these moves.

Archived