The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big signing coming up?

L'Orange

Gillis seems to be busy today, making decisions on not qualifying a bunch if players and letting Gragnani go who was suppose to be one of the main pieces for Hodgson deal ..I see this as either making room for Justin Schultz and/or making room for a upcoming trade. Would love to see a deal that ships out Luongo for a good hockey trade return and Schultz signing with the Canucks.

I've said this so many times before, but the Canucks NEED to rid themselves of Ballard's contract. He's making waaaayyy too much money for a bottom six/7th defenseman. At this point I would be ok with them giving Ballard away for a 3rd round pick. I hope it happens soon so we have some cap room to play with after July 1st.

CBJ or NYI would possibly take him for a 2013 3rd rounder.

To thread starter, what do you expect the team do? Resign everyone and have exact same team next year? You want the team make changes but sound lik its normal to make changes without personnel changing. Makes no sense at all.

To thread starter, what do you expect the team do? Resign everyone and have exact same team next year? You want the team make changes but sound lik its normal to make changes without personnel changing. Makes no sense at all.

Is Schultz the new "Kings New Clothes?"............

Honestly I can't believe we would even look at this guy .............He is reported to be 6'-2" and 186 lbs. The guy would be blown over by a light wind................and he has next to bugger all NHL experience as far as I can tell.

Is Schultz the new "Kings New Clothes?"............

Honestly I can't believe we would even look at this guy .............He is reported to be 6'-2" and 186 lbs. The guy would be blown over by a light wind................and he has next to bugger all NHL experience as far as I can tell.

1. he's only 22 and will pack on some pounds as he ages.

2. Nick Lidstrom is only 6-1 190lbs, so many others around this size.

3. he may have no NHL experience but this is like buying a 1st round draft pick.

4. If he wasn't good teams wouldn't be lining up to get a shot at him.

We need someone big, young and good now.........I have put forward the name of Luca Sbisa who is also 22 and was drafted about 19. He has good figures for last season in NHL but will take $2.5M from cap. He is far more worthwhile as far as I can see.

We need someone big, young and good now.........I have put forward the name of Luca Sbisa who is also 22 and was drafted about 19. He has good figures for last season in NHL but will take $2.5M from cap. He is far more worthwhile as far as I can see.

Why would Anaheim trade Luca Spisa? :picard:

Schultz is, at worst, a free prospect. That is why people are excited. All 30 NHL teams reportedly have at least some interest, and why wouldn't they. Free prospect is free.

To the OP's point: Letting those guys go doesn't really free up that much cap space as others have said so I don't think it means anything really. Rome in particular will probably sign somewhere else for a spot in the top six (and probably a raise) that we can't give him especially if we want to get better on D. Not signing those defensemen yet also signals to Schultz that there is room for him here. If we don't get Schultz we can always try to re-sign them later, and in the case of Salo, we probably will.

Archived