Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Big signing coming up?

Speculation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#91 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,161 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hopefully we just dumped them to upgrade.

Gragnani replaced by Schultz
Duco replaced by Tootoo
Oreskovich was already replaced by Weise
Parent replaced by anyone better
Ebbett replaced by Schroeder
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#92 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

To thread starter, what do you expect the team do? Resign everyone and have exact same team next year? You want the team make changes but sound lik its normal to make changes without personnel changing. Makes no sense at all.

To Gonz,

What I do "expect" is that when someone is part of a "thread" that they at least think somewhat about their contribution to that thread.

Did I say that the Canucks should stay pat? Heeeeeeewwwllllllll naaawwww.

"make changes but sound lik its normal to make changes without personnel changing" <------- Makes no sense at all.

Thanks for stopping by
Posted Image

#93 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

Is Schultz the new "Kings New Clothes?"............

Honestly I can't believe we would even look at this guy .............He is reported to be 6'-2" and 186 lbs. The guy would be blown over by a light wind................and he has next to bugger all NHL experience as far as I can tell.
Kevin.jpg

#94 GM

GM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

Honestly I can't believe we would even look at this guy .............He is reported to be 6'-2" and 186 lbs. The guy would be blown over by a light wind................and he has next to bugger all NHL experience as far as I can tell.

1. he's only 22 and will pack on some pounds as he ages.
2. Nick Lidstrom is only 6-1 190lbs, so many others around this size.
3. he may have no NHL experience but this is like buying a 1st round draft pick.
4. If he wasn't good teams wouldn't be lining up to get a shot at him.

Edited by GM, 27 June 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#95 Cup2013?

Cup2013?

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

MAG has not been let go?!

Why dont people understand this? He has been qualified. Canucks have his rights. He will be signed. Stop getting your panties all caught in a wad.

#96 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Herpes is actually pretty reliable...

At least it shows up every two to three of years.
Posted Image

#97 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

MAG has not been let go?!

Why dont people understand this? He has been qualified. Canucks have his rights. He will be signed. Stop getting your panties all caught in a wad.

Where have you been? No he hasn't been qualified. MG said he was on the radio, then he wasn't. It's kind of been big news around here. Go to trades rumours section and check out the threads there, lots of sources.

#98 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

1. he's only 22 and will pack on some pounds as he ages.
2. Nick Lidstrom is only 6-1 190lbs, so many others around this size.
3. he may have no NHL experience but this is like buying a 1st round draft pick.
4. If he wasn't good teams wouldn't be lining up to get a shot at him.

We need someone big, young and good now.........I have put forward the name of Luca Sbisa who is also 22 and was drafted about 19. He has good figures for last season in NHL but will take $2.5M from cap. He is far more worthwhile as far as I can see.
Kevin.jpg

#99 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

We need someone big, young and good now.........I have put forward the name of Luca Sbisa who is also 22 and was drafted about 19. He has good figures for last season in NHL but will take $2.5M from cap. He is far more worthwhile as far as I can see.

Because he's under contract w/ Anaheim until 2015?? Shultz is UFA

#100 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Why would Anaheim trade Luca Spisa? :picard:

Schultz is, at worst, a free prospect. That is why people are excited. All 30 NHL teams reportedly have at least some interest, and why wouldn't they. Free prospect is free.

To the OP's point: Letting those guys go doesn't really free up that much cap space as others have said so I don't think it means anything really. Rome in particular will probably sign somewhere else for a spot in the top six (and probably a raise) that we can't give him especially if we want to get better on D. Not signing those defensemen yet also signals to Schultz that there is room for him here. If we don't get Schultz we can always try to re-sign them later, and in the case of Salo, we probably will.

Edited by Buttock, 27 June 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#101 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Why would Anaheim trade Luca Spisa? :picard:

Schultz is, at worst, a free prospect. That is why people are excited. All 30 NHL teams reportedly have at least some interest, and why wouldn't they. Free prospect is free.

To the OP's point: Letting those guys go doesn't really free up that much cap space as others have said so I don't think it means anything really. Rome in particular will probably sign somewhere else for a spot in the top six (and probably a raise) that we can't give him especially if we want to get better on D. Not signing those defensemen yet also signals to Schultz that there is room for him here. If we don't get Schultz we can always try to re-sign them later, and in the case of Salo, we probably will.

That's what's wrong with all this crap. We should be trading for players who have the qualities we ACTUALLY NEED to get us a cup not just pick up a guy because he is available or no one wants him.

Sbisa seems to me to offer exactly what we need, it is just a case of finding out if we have something the Ducks would like. We look like we may be losing Salo and possibly Edler, who knows...........we need to trade for guys who are doing the job not guys who are available but unknown.
Kevin.jpg

#102 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

I think one of the big issues for Edler is to either get a defensive d-man so he can really join in with the forwards or to get a offensive d-man so Eddie can focus on good d. He has to decide between those so he can stop unravelling and gain his confidence back. Salo may be a good partner for Edler and allow him to be offensive but Salo is old and he won't be long term. We have to look ahead and find Eddie a reliable and younger partner so Edler can become more of a star. Just my two cents.

Or maybe get a defensive zone coach who can actually teach him the game.

#103 nucklehead53

nucklehead53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Wow they dropped MAG. So the Hodgson deal just becomes a 2 for 1.
It only takes one hard fought series to make a rivalry

#104 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,550 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

That's what's wrong with all this crap. We should be trading for players who have the qualities we ACTUALLY NEED to get us a cup not just pick up a guy because he is available or no one wants him.

Sbisa seems to me to offer exactly what we need, it is just a case of finding out if we have something the Ducks would like. We look like we may be losing Salo and possibly Edler, who knows...........we need to trade for guys who are doing the job not guys who are available but unknown.

Sbisa has a little more weight than Schultz, but he'd cost us current assets plus his cap hit. Schultz doesn't cost us anything from our current roster or prospect pool, so we don't have to move a good piece we can use elsewhere (like Jensen or Tanev) to get him - assuming that's all Anaheim asks for.

Most of Anaheim had down years last year, and Sbisa was no exception, so there's no guarantee he comes in here and does well either.

Since he's a left hand shot, he also has a disadvantage over Schultz, who is right hand. He could play left side, but he'd be behind Hamhuis and Edler, where Schultz could be only behind Bieksa (assuming Salo plays a lesser role like they wanted him to last year and Tanev doesn't explode offensively) and be a very good pairing with Edler - especially when combined with the Sedins on the PP.

I am curious what your definition for "exactly what we need" is. Care to share?

Edited by elvis15, 27 June 2012 - 04:47 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#105 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

The best big signing we could make would be Doan imo.
The Canucks will be looking to add young big and talented via the Luongo trade, at center and/or on the blueline.
I'd like to see them add the young, talented power play quarterback Schultz. That doesn't stop us from adding another big, mean blueliner in addition - and Sami Salo.

#106 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,699 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

That defense

Edler / Schultz
Hamhuis / Bieksa
Ballard / Garrison

Woould be scary good offensively. Hopefully it could also stop a fly at the other end. It would also be terribly small and lacking grit at the defensive end.

Really we should be looking at Schultz as plan A, Garrison plan B and 30 or 40 other combinations before signing the both of them?

... maybe its Jason Garrison and/or Justin Schultz.........

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 27 June 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#107 Mike27

Mike27

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

If Sulzer hadn't been traded, he would have been a UFA, so it is back to 1 for 1.
Trade Bieksa? Not even if it was a one for one deal for a guy like Ovechkin. And I am being serious. Linden53

#108 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

Sami has been reported to be coming back, I really don't see losing Edler (I imagine MG will sign him to an extension, although there are lots of people proposing to throw him into deals where he is undervalued) - we could add Schultz - a power play quarterback type would be a great complement to Edler on the top unit - and there is no reason why we can't add another big, mean shutdown guy to the mix. Where we had Sulzer/Gragnani and Rome, we could now have Schultz and a shutdown guy. We also still have Alberts, who is a big physical young guy still improving, and a couple prospects (Connauton and Sauve.) I could see Ballard gaining momentum here as well - I think the Canucks have a lot of options and woud like to see a young guy like Petrovic brought in if we deal with Florida for Luongo...

#109 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,699 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Perfect assessement!

#1 Need, puck rushing D You can cal it a PP captain, but first we need to gain the zone, also against forecheck 5 on 5. Our D can score and pass, notably Edler, but nobody is a puck handler...
#2 Need, big mean defensive D
#3 Need, a top 6 forward (either a play maker for line 2, or preferred a net and wall presence for the the Twins and shift Burrows as line 2 play maker.

And based on current roster, both #1 and #2 should be right side guys, preferably right shot as well...

PS Sulzer was a free agent, past tense. He agreed with Erhoff and re-signed with Buffalo.

Sami has been reported to be coming back, I really don't see losing Edler (I imagine MG will sign him to an extension, although there are lots of people proposing to throw him into deals where he is undervalued) - we could add Schultz - a power play quarterback type would be a great complement to Edler on the top unit - and there is no reason why we can't add another big, mean shutdown guy to the mix. Where we had Sulzer/Gragnani and Rome, we could now have Schultz and a shutdown guy. We also still have Alberts, who is a big physical young guy still improving, and a couple prospects (Connauton and Sauve.) I could see Ballard gaining momentum here as well - I think the Canucks have a lot of options and woud like to see a young guy like Petrovic brought in if we deal with Florida for Luongo...

If Sulzer hadn't been traded, he would have been a UFA, so it is back to 1 for 1.

That defense

Edler / Schultz
Hamhuis / Bieksa
Ballard / Garrison

Woould be scary good offensively. Hopefully it could also stop a fly at the other end. It would also be terribly small and lacking grit at the defensive end.

Really we should be looking at Schultz as plan A, Garrison plan B and 30 or 40 other combinations before signing the both of them?

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 27 June 2012 - 07:30 PM.

#110 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

this is funny coming from Mason Raymond's biggest fan who pumps sunshine up his skirt 24-7

its funny that 26 teams want Schultz, every major nhl expert says he's a bonafide bluechip yet Bodee the Scotsman who just started following NHL and loves Mason Raymond says pass on the biggest, most coveted bargain of the summer.

:lol:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#111 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Is it just me or are the Canucks dumping salary to prepare for a trade or signing?

Ryan Parent - $925,000
Aaron Rome - $750,000
Andrew Ebbett - $525,000
Marc Andre Gragnani - $550,000
Mike Duco - $550,000
Victor Oreskovitch - $605,000

$3.9 Million in cap space. Now if they choose to let Salo walk (might be a bad idea) that adds another 2 million. $5.9 million in cap space.

A significant signing/trade or two is coming down the pike. I can feel it. Or maybe it's just gas.

According to whom are these players leaving?

Edited by John Garret's moustache, 27 June 2012 - 09:04 PM.

Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#112 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

Not going forward with MA Gragnani does not sound like a solid plan, wonder what is up?

Gragnani showed absolutely nothing during his time here. The Canucks probably would rather give his ice time to Sauve or Connauton.

#113 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

They won't let grags go. They want him in the system

#114 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:46 AM

Can someone tell me how Schultz at 6'-2" and 186 lbs and no NHL experience is going to be fit for either of our top 2 lines?..................do we want a Stanley Cup or do we just like moaning about not winning it?

26 teams chasing him.......really? I wonder how many of those teams are SC contenders and thinking of putting Schultz on their 1 or 2nd line?....................probably not one of them. They are getting him in the hope he shows up in the future.

As for the poster above who said Sbisa had a poor season..........bollocks, he had a damned good one for a 22 year old rookie. That's why we would not expect to find him at the bottom of a "lucky bag"............and yes he would be worth giving up something for...........this is the NHL after all.

Let's see how Schultz would fare against LA next season...............oops!.............and I'm not even factoring in his lack of experience. He plays for a University team................... and yet Coach DJ has him as bluechip already..........same old same old.

Brown - 204 lbs..........18 lbs
Penner - 242 lbs..........56 lbs
Nolan - 227 lbs............43 lbs
King - 234 lbs..............48 lbs
Kopitar - 225 lbs..........39 lbs
Stoll - 213 lbs...............27 lbs
Clifford - 208 lbs.........22 lbs
Carter - 199 lbs...........13 lbs

"He has shown a strong commitment to improving his defensive game and strength, although he will never be a physical force."

Oh in that case he will fit right into our top line.

Edited by Bodee, 28 June 2012 - 01:48 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#115 Weber's Playoff Beard

Weber's Playoff Beard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:11 AM

Can someone tell me how Schultz at 6'-2" and 186 lbs and no NHL experience is going to be fit for either of our top 2 lines?..................do we want a Stanley Cup or do we just like moaning about not winning it?

26 teams chasing him.......really? I wonder how many of those teams are SC contenders and thinking of putting Schultz on their 1 or 2nd line?....................probably not one of them. They are getting him in the hope he shows up in the future.

As for the poster above who said Sbisa had a poor season..........bollocks, he had a damned good one for a 22 year old rookie. That's why we would not expect to find him at the bottom of a "lucky bag"............and yes he would be worth giving up something for...........this is the NHL after all.

Let's see how Schultz would fare against LA next season...............oops!.............and I'm not even factoring in his lack of experience. He plays for a University team................... and yet Coach DJ has him as bluechip already..........same old same old.

Brown - 204 lbs..........18 lbs
Penner - 242 lbs..........56 lbs
Nolan - 227 lbs............43 lbs
King - 234 lbs..............48 lbs
Kopitar - 225 lbs..........39 lbs
Stoll - 213 lbs...............27 lbs
Clifford - 208 lbs.........22 lbs
Carter - 199 lbs...........13 lbs

"He has shown a strong commitment to improving his defensive game and strength, although he will never be a physical force."

Oh in that case he will fit right into our top line.

Come on.. even if you've never played NHL 12 GM mode, you'll know what you're suggesting is ridiculous.

#116 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:36 AM

Come on.. even if you've never played NHL 12 GM mode, you'll know what you're suggesting is ridiculous.

What am I suggesting? I'm afraid I haven't suggested anything, I've just made reference to various posters apparently advocating playing an untried College player. Maybe they have the NHL 12 I don't know what it is other than it is a game.
Kevin.jpg

#117 Mike27

Mike27

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

PS Sulzer was a free agent, past tense. He agreed with Erhoff and re-signed with Buffalo.

My point is, Sulzer would not have been re-signed with Vancouver, so it is a one for one trade. Or, if you want to be technical, Hodgson and 3 or 4 games of Sulzer (all he would have gotten with Van) for Kassian and 14 games of Gragnani.
Trade Bieksa? Not even if it was a one for one deal for a guy like Ovechkin. And I am being serious. Linden53

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.