The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big signing coming up?

L'Orange

Well talk on the Team 1040 not long ago was about how a consistent factor in teams that win the Cup is having a star D man, it was discussed how Gillis went into last season saying he was planning on having the D " do it by committee" look how well that worked, just proves that a star player on the back end could be the piece that finally helps them get the Cup. Problem is every team wants the same type of player, hopefully Gillis is making every effort to try and get one of the few players that fit that status that might be available pretty unlikely though we can hope.

Well, they just drafted new talent and July 1st is on the way, so they're making sure they have room for new guys coming in. None of the guys they let go were every day players, so it won't have much effect on the team as a whole. Gragnani just wasn't part of the plan, shame we gave up Sulzer to get a guy the team let walk a few months later.

I thought mg said he qualified mag last week on the team 1040?? as for edler he did step up in the season but my stomach hit my tongue whenever he touched the Puck in the playoffs. just remember lindstrom didn't win Norris till...... 30?

Is it just me or are the Canucks dumping salary to prepare for a trade or signing?

Ryan Parent - $925,000

Aaron Rome - $750,000

Andrew Ebbett - $525,000

Marc Andre Gragnani - $550,000

Mike Duco - $550,000

Victor Oreskovitch - $605,000

$3.9 Million in cap space. Now if they choose to let Salo walk (might be a bad idea) that adds another 2 million. $5.9 million in cap space.

A significant signing/trade or two is coming down the pike. I can feel it. Or maybe it's just gas.

Not extending Gragnani is a questionable decision. Thought he could've been deployed in offensive situations well. His fenwick and corsi numbers were not bad. We played him at the end of last season so he could be an RFA. MG said he qualified him.

So Hodgson trade becomes Hodgson/Sulzer for Kassian. Kassian better turn out well.

That doesn't necessarily mean that none of those players are going to be with the Canucks next season. It just means that MG is freeing up cap space in the hopes of picking up some players via FA that will improve the club. He previously said that Vancouver will be active in the FA market this year. If he gets the players that he wants and has cap room left, a guy like Gragiani could be signed (if he is stil available).

It could also be that he can't trade a goalie right now because the market is not offering what Vancouver needs and needs cap to sign Schneider and go with 2 goalies until a trade can be worked out.

It is probably a combination of both these factors so I won't be holding my breath waiting for a big signing.

Archived