The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breakdown of Luongos "Poor Play" vs LA

PlayStation

Lou played fine and he is still a great goalie. Looking at the other LA series, they scored 3 or more in every game against Brian Elliott ( top goalie stats of the season), scored 4 goals in three of the games against Mike Smith (the reason why phoenix was at the conference finals), and 4 and 6 against Brodeur. So I think Lou actually played at the same level of those really good goalies. Also this shows how good Schneider is compared to likes of Luongo, Elliott, Smith, and Brodeur (at 40) ...

Well I have personally been pointing out our flawwed defensive structure for years. Especially when facing a high pressure forecheck, how we ultimately get beaten, we have breakdowns and turn the puck over. Personally I think it stems from our coaching "safe" plays where we chip the puck out or otherwise turn the puck over and give the opponents the hammer.

We could make plays, play gritty, backup the break out, even ice it, but we more often softly play the puck into the neutral zone where the opponent gets the puck with speed on the transistion... a bad bad bad play made worse when we do it over and over when the momentum is not ours. An offensive team needs to take chances and make some good passes, thats how you beat a forecheck, not give the puck up and hope your offensive team can play defense... which it apparently cannot.

Which AV should be able to see, and where I ultimately place the sole responsibiltiy. imho...

Archived