Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Breakdown of Luongos "Poor Play" vs LA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
83 replies to this topic

#61 juwanski

juwanski

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

PS. Seriously??? There was NO SCREEN on this play whatsoever and he even had ample time to get set for that shot. You should be embarrassed posting that clip and then saying it's anything other than completely Luongos fault. My God. Dan Cloutier would have stopped that.

Whoa buddy, lets not be saying things we cant take back here.

#62 mofans

mofans

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Luongo is an Elite #1 Goalie. Let's just look at other Goalies, did they BLAME Brodeur for losing to LA?? Why the constant nagging analysis of Lu? Did he say he was GOD, billed as GOD, expected to be GOD? I guess he was expected to be GOD. Leave the guy alone. This is so old . I am constantly amazed at the cruelty, and stupidity, of Humans.

#63 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Luongo was one of the most solid players we had all of last season... Hands down!

#64 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

Luongo was one of the most solid players we had all of last season... Hands down!

Schneider however proved to be even more solid and there is only one net.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#65 schneider

schneider

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:09 PM

Hahahah no one said luongo played badly in the LA series.

He didn't, he played fine. Schneider outplayed him, but he still played fine.

I can't believe you took all that time to make this post, lmao, you're an idiot.

#66 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Nobody said that he was bad... ? I don't understand what you're talking about...

It's just that Schneider was even better...

#67 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

I didn't want to make a thread for this, I'll just post it here. Compare these two plays.

Edited by Peevish, 26 June 2012 - 12:12 AM.

Posted Image

#68 nucklehead53

nucklehead53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

If I remember correctly, all the rational fans were not really pinning the blame on Lou. I don't think many people in the city really thought it was his fault.
It only takes one hard fought series to make a rivalry

#69 nucks 09

nucks 09

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

*** Note

Their are always defensive breakdowns in hockey.

Its all about timing and the ability of a goalie to make the key saves that spark the team at the right time, rather than deflating it.

Unfortunately since the Chicago series (4 seasons ago) it seems Luongo's trend is to disappoint us and the team when we need him the most.. :bored:

Edited by nucks 09, 26 June 2012 - 01:17 AM.

#70 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,231 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:29 AM

Let me break down Luongos ”Poor Play" vs LA.

Game 1: LA’s first goal by Mike Richards. 5 on 3 PP, Canucks failed to clear the puck off the draw, but can you blame anyone who’s killing the penalty’s?
http://youtu.be/dFi-u8x_JQY

You may want to take another look at that one. It had nothing to do with being shorthanded. It was just a brutal goal. Five hole from that angle? Yet another bad angle goal from Lou.

I don't think you could say Lou played badly against LA. But Schneider played better.
Posted Image

#71 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

If Schneider can get us a good defensive defensemen in a deal, then I am fine with keeping Lu in net.

A few of the goals he let in were no better than the ones Luongo let in, although Schneider is a tad better on one on ones. Lu also needs to work on his game a bit in regards to all the "falling forward" he's been doing as of late, he doesn't seem to get back up quick enough.. Those belly flops need to go, Schneider used to do those and it really used to piss me off. (Until he bettered his game)

Either way, the OP is right. We do need to get better on defence and possibly a better system for our PK, those give aways in game 2 killed that series for us.

As for our top 6, we need to get rid of Raymond. He gave away a few of those goals, perhaps we should get a good large forward like Dustin Penner or maybe Brad Boyes? Boyes could regain his scoring touch on a line with a player like Kes, Penner would be a nice big body with the Sedin twins. Just a thought.

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 26 June 2012 - 09:00 AM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#72 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

Luongo should stay/ But I don't see any proof in they play better in Schnieds.

Watch the LA series...that is proof

#73 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

You may want to take another look at that one. It had nothing to do with being shorthanded. It was just a brutal goal. Five hole from that angle? Yet another bad angle goal from Lou.

I\d say being 5 on 3 had Lu cheating.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#74 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,275 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

u have too much time on your hands. Scheinder is the future

Edited by Apples, 26 June 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#75 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

I dont think Schneider was better than Luongo against LA. I think the team played better with Schneider in net than Luongo.

Only the rest of the world disagrees with you !!

#76 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

*** Note

Their are always defensive breakdowns in hockey.

Its all about timing and the ability of a goalie to make the key saves that spark the team at the right time, rather than deflating it.

Unfortunately since the Chicago series (4 seasons ago) it seems Luongo's trend is to disappoint us and the team when we need him the most.. :bored:

Someone give this man a golf clap and a beer. That is EXACTLY what a goalie is for. In the place offs it doesn't matter if you play good, great or fantastic it only matters that you win. Luongo didn't help the team win ANYTHING in those playoffs. He didn't bail us out of any defensive breakdowns. I'm not blaming it all on him, but he certainly did not help. Schnieder did.

#77 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

Look, OP... A goalie can't always be solid even if he is really good, if the team in front of him plays with no heart, and no strong desire to win. He had a ton of shots in Game 1 and 2 vs LA

Edited by Ryan Murray, 26 June 2012 - 01:19 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#78 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Let me break down Luongos ”Poor Play" vs LA.

Game 1: LA’s second goal by Willie Mitchell. Stoll standing right in front of Luongo screening him with nobody there to knock him out of the way. Daniel Sedin slowly skating towards Stoll when its too late.
http://youtu.be/yB2aP9sAmMQ

Last time I checked Daniel Sedin was no where to be found in games 1, 2, and 3.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#79 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Oh and about the post it was never Luongo's fault, the defence played like crap, but it was ALL AV's fault for being an inexperienced coach, who was stupid enough to come out publicly and admit he wasn't prepared for the playoffs with Daniel out of the roster, that's rookie bush league coaching, horrible.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#80 tjkaemingh

tjkaemingh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

watching all those goals against over again makes me want to cry.
Lou should maybe have had that first one vs Richards on the PP (but it was 5on3).
All the other goals are complete retard moments from our skaters.
Turnovers, mistakes, soft back checking, power plays, etc. is how those other goals were scored.
Not our goalies fault.
LA just wanted it more. Just a brutal effort defensively by our team. Needed to wake up and play like LA did.
idiots &@*($!#

#81 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

You were bang on with the first one. It was Luongo's fault.

#82 Peejay

Peejay

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Lou played fine and he is still a great goalie. Looking at the other LA series, they scored 3 or more in every game against Brian Elliott ( top goalie stats of the season), scored 4 goals in three of the games against Mike Smith (the reason why phoenix was at the conference finals), and 4 and 6 against Brodeur. So I think Lou actually played at the same level of those really good goalies. Also this shows how good Schneider is compared to likes of Luongo, Elliott, Smith, and Brodeur (at 40) ...

#83 Canucklehead73

Canucklehead73

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Well I have personally been pointing out our flawwed defensive structure for years. Especially when facing a high pressure forecheck, how we ultimately get beaten, we have breakdowns and turn the puck over. Personally I think it stems from our coaching "safe" plays where we chip the puck out or otherwise turn the puck over and give the opponents the hammer.

We could make plays, play gritty, backup the break out, even ice it, but we more often softly play the puck into the neutral zone where the opponent gets the puck with speed on the transistion... a bad bad bad play made worse when we do it over and over when the momentum is not ours. An offensive team needs to take chances and make some good passes, thats how you beat a forecheck, not give the puck up and hope your offensive team can play defense... which it apparently cannot.

Which AV should be able to see, and where I ultimately place the sole responsibiltiy. imho...
Go Canucks Go!

#84 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Watch the LA series...that is proof

You mean the series we only won one game in? Schnieds came in when games were more on the line, and our team played harder and like it mattered.

That isn't proof, until I hear someone say anything like that there's no proof.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.