The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Botchford: Salo coming back for 1 more year

This looks fine to me...

Look for Gillis to have a "rest" plan next year where he rotates some of the veterans out of the lineup regularly thoughout the season. He hinted at it in his end of year presser.

Tanev will get plenty of games subbing in for guys, I assume unless things change Alberts will still be on the roster and Ballard gone. If this happened, the 20 teams or so who are in the hunt for Garrison/Schultz are going to have to find defence.... Ballard could be traded fairly easily at that point.

Tanev and Schutlz are both RH defenseman who I don't believe play the left side.

If Schultz is signed expect Tanev to maybe be moved in a Lu deal unless MG can ship Ballard out.

Should be interesting to see...I just hope this doesn't mean bad news about Schultz.

Sami would be brought in and be a depth guy or move up if the young ones start to fade. If we do sign Garrisson I see the 6/7 spot being fought between Tanev and Shultz (if we get him) and the other going down to the AHL.

Hamhius-Bieksa

Edler-Garrisson

Ballard-Tanev/Schultz

Alberts-Salo

Salo would go in and out of the line up to give Bieksa relieve or when he gets injured, Tanev and Schultz will have a hard time playing 82 games schedule with out getting banged up.

Salo plays a smart game. If we are going to keep a puck possession type style, we need a player like him.

If he is slowing down, then yes a 3rd pairing role suits him better...

But he seemed fine before the concussion, he might be just fine this year - aka better.

Or... The way Edler ended the season, put Salo and Edler on the 3rd pairing!!!

Tanev and Schutlz are both RH defenseman who I don't believe play the left side.

If Schultz is signed expect Tanev to maybe be moved in a Lu deal unless MG can ship Ballard out.

Should be interesting to see...I just hope this doesn't mean bad news about Schultz.

Uggg, I hope to hell he isn't being penciled in with Edler again. He is not fast enough to cover for Edler and they were not good together. Very limited minutes on the third line or in the press box. I like Salo a lot but i like winning more.

So we should get rid of Edler too, right? Edler was horrid in the playoffs last year, that means we should dump him according to your logic... Kesler was pretty bad, let's get rid of him too, matter of fact nobody was very good apart from the Sedins, Luongo and Schneider, so why don't we dump the whole team.

Salo has been a mainstay on the Canucks blueline for a reason. He's not flashy or speedy, but he's dependable and can still shoot the puck when he needs to. Very sound positionally, our best d-man defensively apart from Hamhuis. If he wants to come back, it'd be crazy not to sign him.

Who said anything about Salo being a top 4 D man? Salo is a very useful D man who has done and continues to do a lot for this team. He is experienced and still has the best shot from the back end.

I agree with the others in the fact that if you are not pleased with Salo coming back, you obviously did not see the Canucks play last season.

Archived