The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chances the "Russian Rocket" gets selected this year into the HHOF = 100%

Zach Morris

So It's Bure's second chance to get entered into the HHOF!!

227708.jpg

Let's start with his Con's:

1. No Stanley Cup

2. Short career due to injury

3. Some bad publicity during the end of his tenure with the Canucks

4. He played less than 1000 games and scored less than 500 goals and 1000 points

(if y'all have more please add in the thread)

His Pro's

1. Member of the IIHF Hall of Fame

2. Two silver medals at the World Junior Championships, one Gold & one Silver in the World Championships, one Silver and one Bronze in two separate Olympics

3. Five 50 goal seasons and two 60 goal seasons back to back, and although no Stanley Cup he did have 16 Goals and 15 Assists in the 94' cup run

4. Two Rocket Richard trophies

(same as above please add any other Pro's he may have)

Now number four above is a good segway into Bure's greatest argument to achieve entry into the HHOF.  This may be subjective considering I am a Nucklehead and all, but Bure is arguably the most electric player to ever play the game. I never had the pleasure to watch Maurice Richard play, so maybe I should rephrase and say that Bure is the most electrifying player of my generation (Im 31 years old).  Regardless there has only been three "Rocket" nicknames in the history of the NHL, and the 3rd is more due to relation (Henri "Pocket Rocket" Richard).  As a fan whenever he had the puck, even if it was behind the net, I got to the edge of my seat in anticipation.  I believe that most of the non Nuck fans probably felt fearful everytime he touched the puck.

The numbers "may" not be there, and for some (Selection Committee members) that is reason enough to not allow him entry into the HHOF.  Numbers do tell a good story, but the best stories always evoke powerful feelings from the audience, and in my opinion, no-one could evoke the Hockey audience more than the "Russian Rocket" could.

I think he should be, was really one of the pioneers for Russians coming to play, him along with guys like Larionov, Mogilny, and Federov were really the first to come and play in the NHL and be true superstars.

He should be in but I doubt that he will get in because.

A. He's Russian

B. He asked for a trade/His departure from Vancouver

C. Injury Shortened Career

Either way he was one of the main people who really paved the way for guys like Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin, Kovalchuk and even a guy like Yakupov and some other good young Russians.

He should be in without a doubt, I just hope that the voters recognize this. Cause I'm beginning to sway my opinion on the legitimacy of the HHOF.

Why would his departure from Vancouver have any consideration on his HHOF entrance? Thats a reason against maybe retiring his # in vancouver or the RoH but for the leagues HHOF... I just don't see any legitimacy behind tha reasoning

man i miss watching him...he definitely should be in the HOF...his numbers are better then Cam Neely's and he's in there...Neely never scored 500 goals or played in a 1000 games...I bet Pavel would've already gotten in if he had played for the Leafs or something...The way he left the Canucks should have no affect on his entrance...Had he stayed healthy his whole career, he would've easily scored over 600 goals

Also, winning a championship should not to be taken into account when it comes to the HOF because championships are won as a team, the HOF is for individual accomplishments and careers. There are 100's of athletes in any sport and who never won championships but had HOF careers and are in the HOF ie Dan Marino, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, John Stockton etc..

Bure's exit from Vancouver was the Canucks fault. Either you know and believe that our you still think the media isn't full of haters and subjective half truths. Eliminating that totally irrelevant part of the party line BS, the guy was the best skater and best player the Canucks have ever had. And he is a HHOF in waiting.

The sole one and only reason he may not make the Hall this year is the fact the NHL has a stupid "No more than 4" at a time rule.

Joe Sakic? First ballot HHOF member. No discussion, no conversation. The guy is in.

Brendan Shannahan? See "Joe Sakic"

CuJo, Roenick, Claude Lemieux, Phil Housley, Mats Sundin, Adam Oates, Kevin Lowe, Eric Lindros and Dave Andreychuk will all get in the Hall too, it is just a matter of order.

I hope for this season but expect next season to see Pavel Bure at his HHOF induction ceremony

Canucks franchise points per game leader. 1.12 (478 points in 428 games)

League Statistical Records:

Regular season points per game 25th 1.110 (minimum 500 points)

Regular season goals per game 5th 0.623 (minimum 200 goals)

Regular season short-handed goals T-11th 34

Playoff points per game 16th 1.094 (minimum 50 points)

Playoff goals per game 8th 0.547 (minimum 20 goals) - Gretzky is 7th with 0.587

He redefined what it meant to undress a player or goalie meant. Also he changed the method of skating, he was one of the first to push off on his outside edge allowing max acceleration.

I dunno?

Such a dynamic talent, I hope he ultimately gets there (despite being a Vancouver turncoat).

My pics are Sakic, Sundin, Lowe and Shanny!

It could be argued he would be ahead of Lowe for being a Russian trailblazer and perhaps the most exciting of all Russians. But Lindros couls also be called a traiblazer for his influence at the junior level as well as his early days in the NHL. The most talented physical beast yet to don an NHL uniform in his heyday as much as Bure was dynamic.

Nah, they're both so in so's, Lowe and Shanny behind shoo in's Sakic and Sundin!

So It's Bure's second chance to get entered into the HHOF!!

227708.jpg

Let's start with his Con's:

1. No Stanley Cup

2. Short career due to injury

3. Some bad publicity during the end of his tenure with the Canucks

4. He played less than 1000 games and scored less than 500 goals and 1000 points

(if y'all have more please add in the thread)

His Pro's

1. Member of the IIHF Hall of Fame

2. Two silver medals at the World Junior Championships, one Gold & one Silver in the World Championships, one Silver and one Bronze in two separate Olympics

3. Five 50 goal seasons and two 60 goal seasons back to back, and although no Stanley Cup he did have 16 Goals and 15 Assists in the 94' cup run

4. Two Rocket Richard trophies

(same as above please add any other Pro's he may have)

Now number four above is a good segway into Bure's greatest argument to achieve entry into the HHOF. This may be subjective considering I am a Nucklehead and all, but Bure is arguably the most electric player to ever play the game. I never had the pleasure to watch Maurice Richard play, so maybe I should rephrase and say that Bure is the most electrifying player of my generation (Im 31 years old). Regardless there has only been three "Rocket" nicknames in the history of the NHL, and the 3rd is more due to relation (Henri "Pocket Rocket" Richard). As a fan whenever he had the puck, even if it was behind the net, I got to the edge of my seat in anticipation. I believe that most of the non Nuck fans probably felt fearful everytime he touched the puck.

The numbers "may" not be there, and for some (Selection Committee members) that is reason enough to not allow him entry into the HHOF. Numbers do tell a good story, but the best stories always evoke powerful feelings from the audience, and in my opinion, no-one could evoke the Hockey audience more than the "Russian Rocket" could.

Archived