• Announcements

• StealthNuck

Forum-specific Rules   07/11/2017

These are board specific rules for the Trades and Rumors forum designed to provide organization and a better experience for everyone. Please review these rules before posting new threads. 
        THREAD ETIQUETTE   1. Please search for an existing thread before posting. This forum can be very fast moving, so it's understandable if redundant threads are inadvertently posted. In such a case, please use the report feature to request removal of redundant threads.    2. Provide a clearly identifiable topic title so that users can readily understand the content. The title should include any and all teams involved, as well as player names or other personnel involved as appropriate.   3. All trades, signings, rumors and other news MUST include a linkable source. Simply posting the name of the source is not enough. Effort should also be made to copy and paste the full article, or at the very least the relevant portion of text from the source to the first post of the thread. Moderators may remove low-quality threads in favour of high-quality threads. 

Affixed to the front of your title should be a label that identifies the type of transaction that is taking place. For all trades use [TRADE]. For all signings use [SIGNING]. For all waiver-wire transactions use [WAIVERS]. For all rumours use [RUMOUR].
      For articles or news items that don't fit into the above categories, affix an appropriate label of your choice such as [NEWS], [ARTICLE] or [MISC].   4. When the status of a thread changes a new thread can be created. The new thread should reflect the change and help focus the discussion on current events. e.g. Someone may create a new thread when a rumor becomes a trades. The old thread will be locked by the moderating team.    5. Do not misrepresent the contents of your thread or post false trades or rumors. Trolling will result in a permanent suspension. 

SOURCES   The following source types are considered INVALID. Any links to posts or threads on other message boards Any links to personal blogs Any news heard on the radio that does not have a link to an audio vault or podcast Any news seen on television that does not have a link to online video Any news spread by word of mouth
      Additionally, certain sources may be be blacklisted due to poor credentials, clear traffic-mongering etc. Blacklisted sources will be posted here. 
      Thank you for your co-operation and please PM the Administrator or Moderators if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions regarding this forum.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rkoshack

[Report] Canucks inquired about Jordan Staal

125 posts in this topic

Good decision for Gillis not to accept. Jordan wouldn't have resigned

I guess it would be hard on MG to lock up Staal, Burrows and Edler all in one year

Also, if what you say is true about Staal only wants to play in Carolina, I think the Hurricanes GM should of waited to sign him in 2013 instead of give away huge assets in Sutter and the 8th.

thank god kesler on crosbys wing or shutting down people for crosby would have been deadly

Staal is 2" taller. 3 years younger and had almost the same stats in hits, points, and plus/minus as Kes this year.

What Staal has in his favour. This was as a 3rd liner as compared to second. Staal was one of the best players in Pittsburgh's playoff run. Staal is also more disciplined than Kesler.

Sorry Kes, I would have done that trade. In fact I would have traded Booth, Kesler, Higgins and Raymond for Neal and Staal and Despres.

Staal > Kesler.

More complete player IMO and can pass.

One thing I dont like about the 1 4 1 Staal for Kesler is the fact that I wouldnt want Kesler on Pittsburgh. I hate that team and want them to suffer. Crosby, Malkin, Kesler, Neal would be nutz. Kunitz-Crosby-Kesler

He played against bottom pairing D because of the 2 better centers on his own team.

We would have had him for 1 year when he would've then left for Carolina.

Jeesh people.

Let's be honest here people...

They're nearly identical players. I'd rather have Kesler because he hits more and blocks more shots. He's a slightly better defensive player and a better skater.

Staal hasn't scored more than 28 goals (he would've had he been healthy last year) but he's likely facing bottom pairing defensive units because of the presence of Sid and Geno.

In no way, shape, or form would a Kesler for Staal swap make us better and as already mentioned his apparent commitment to Carolina only would've made the trade completely idiotic.

End of argument. Period.

At the end of the day, the risk of Staal not resigning is too big. If he walked after next season, we lose two second line centres. Also, Jordan wants to play with his brother Eric, that's probably why MG didn't pull the trigger.

I sometimes wonder what goes through these GM's minds. My 3rd line center who is damn good and has 1/2 2nd line potential but hasn't shown it yet because he hasn't had the chance for your Selke winning heart and soul beast.

Its like the 5'6'' fat kid going up to the prom queen and saying lets go bang behind the bleachers...

umm did someone say something?

And CDC's reaction when Staal, after playing for one season as a Canuck, is a UFA and decides to go to Carolina, would be what? And we have no Kesler at this point.

10-11 Kesler > Jordan Staal

11-12 Kesler < Jordan Staal

Depends which Kesler shows up this season (injury or not).

If you knew you'd have Staal for an extension - I think you make that deal for sure. But without that guarantee, it's too risky. Doesn't really matter now anyway...

Yeah Kesler is so much worse than Staal, I guess a 40 goal scorer and Selke winner isn't comparable to Staal right? :rolleyes:

EDIT: I'm happy we didn't do this trade by the way

I gotta admit - if Carolina woulda offered Sutter, their 8th and Dumoulin for Kesler... that would require some thinkin...

staal > kesler...if it was kesler straight up for staal we should've done it. But if Staal was going to not sign after the trade happened and leaves the canucks next year, then it would've been a stupid trade. But I'm sure Staal would've signed. He only said he wouldn't sign any contracts because he didn't want to resign with the Pens. If he had gotten traded to the canucks or any other team where he can play 1st or 2nd line center, he would sign after the trade I'm sure.

The thing that gives Kesler the edge over Staal imo is that he truly believes he's a Canuck.

Why give away someone who bleeds for the Canucks and is the heart and soul of the team for some guy who might not even re-sign? Give me a break guys, Kesler bleeds blue and even took a discount to stay here. Theres no way I give him up for Jordan Staal, not now, not ever.

The thing that gives Kesler the edge over Staal imo is that he truly believes he's a Canuck.

Why give away someone who bleeds for the Canucks and is the heart and soul of the team for some guy who might not even re-sign? Give me a break guys, Kesler bleeds blue and even took a discount to stay here. Theres no way I give him up for Jordan Staal, not now, not ever.