The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler hidden piece? 'blockbuster' rumor circulating?

Blood Fiend

Edler is a great asset ... he has talent, size, and can play a physical game. What he doesn't have and what we desperately need is a mean streak. As cliche as it sounds, we need grit, someone with total determination to do whatever it takes to gain puck possesion. Edler should sit down and watch some video of players like , Scott Stevens, Claude Lemiuex, Chris Pronger, etc. Yeah, those guys were/are hated by everyone except their teamates and the fans of the team they played for. When I was a kid I friggin' hated Esa Tikkanen with a passion. He was dirty, he had skill, he made life hell for the teams he played against and he was an invaluable asset to his team. When he came to Vancouver, I groaned but quickly realized his worth ... even though it was in the twilight of his carreer. If MG were to trade valuable assets, this is the type of player he should be seeking; skill, talent, size and grit.

Edler is a great asset ... he has talent, size, and can play a physical game. What he doesn't have and what we desperately need is a mean streak. As cliche as it sounds, we need grit, someone with total determination to do whatever it takes to gain puck possesion. Edler should sit down and watch some video of players like , Scott Stevens, Claude Lemiuex, Chris Pronger, etc. Yeah, those guys were/are hated by everyone except their teamates and the fans of the team they played for. When I was a kid I friggin' hated Esa Tikkanen with a passion. He was dirty, he had skill, he made life hell for the teams he played against and he was an invaluable asset to his team. When he came to Vancouver, I groaned but quickly realized his worth ... even though it was in the twilight of his carreer. If MG were to trade valuable assets, this is the type of player he should be seeking; skill, talent, size and grit.

There are some games when Edler looks so dominant then there are times when he just plays average. If he played more consistancy he would be untouchable. We are trying to win a cup and if there is a player you need, then he should be involved to get us what we want. I wanna see our team win the cup and we have to do it by whatever means neccessary. I like edler but i think i would like the cup more. Weber and Perry would be nice. Seems like Anahiem will be going in a different direction, maybe there is a deal to be made with them. Perry, Perry, Perry.

Whenever I think of worst-case scenarios involving Edler, I think of Joni Pitkanen. Pitkanen had a blistering hot start in the NHL (in his second year in the NHL, he put up 46 points in 58 games with the Flyers when he was 22 years old - he has declined a lot since then). Pitkanen's struggled through several injuries in his career, something that Edler hasn't had to deal with a whole lot (thank God). That said, my worry is for Edler to take a step back in his development and plateau to what Pitkanen is now. That's not to say that Edler would suck if he plateaued to where Pitkanen is now, it's just that Edler's always had the potential to be so much more.

Whenever I think of worst-case scenarios involving Edler, I think of Joni Pitkanen. Pitkanen had a blistering hot start in the NHL (in his second year in the NHL, he put up 46 points in 58 games with the Flyers when he was 22 years old - he has declined a lot since then). Pitkanen's struggled through several injuries in his career, something that Edler hasn't had to deal with a whole lot (thank God). That said, my worry is for Edler to take a step back in his development and plateau to what Pitkanen is now. That's not to say that Edler would suck if he plateaued to where Pitkanen is now, it's just that Edler's always had the potential to be so much more.

Elder needs a steady partner to succeed. It's that simple. Then he can take those risks and let the partner help him with coverage.

We didn't have that last year once Salo went down and never came back.

But everyone is tradeable - more than likely it would be to bring in a steady partner for him.... Sutter would fit the bill quite nicely. I'd actually rather have sutter as a ufa than give up pieces to get weber. No sh1t eh??

No he isn't going to be elite. He will be just under that level at best - meaning sometimes there.

He does things that seem right to him but aren't. He will always take that risk and get burned... And if his psyche is vulnerable he loses it. Again, needs that solid partner (don't we all!!! Lol)

Archived