The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler hidden piece? 'blockbuster' rumor circulating?

Blood Fiend

Edler's value is still high enough to be worked into a major trade.

Realistically Edler should be used to get Shea Weber.

Combined with another roster player (or two) and some suitable draft picks, Edler would be a decent replacement for Weber. Similar size, age, points. Mind you Weber is a much more imposing figure.

terrible playoffs vs the kings? yes agreed and even last seasons run the the final.. he was there, he wasn't there, he played good he played BAD.....

he has developed in to a good d man but i would say.. time to move on...i think thats as good as he is going to get...

Reality Check > he might be on the block because he may have pulled a Staal and refused to sign a perfectly good deal offered by Gillis?

2knd, less likely check > We do have 3 highly capable left side D, and are desperate for right side D. If he remains unsigned it makes good business sense to cash in on (as suggested below) an all star D who at 26 is about to enter his prime. The haul could solve a lot of other problems.

Check #3, maybe we just signed Schultz and an offensive D is more expendable? :rolleyes:

Reality check 4 and most likely > we want to keep him more than any other proposition, but should be open to what his value brings. I was just being silly on point 3 as a rookie could not replace Edler in the current context. (Gillis has never, will never do something like that will he? <_< )

Uh...don't we need defensemen? Why would we trade Edler unless it's for Weber.

But the ideal situation is we keep Edler and add an elite d-man.

Yep. As I said, Edler is the type of player that all 30 NHL teams covet. He's big, he's skilled, he's physical, he's good in his own end. He's absolutely #1 defenseman material. He's just not quite consistent enough yet but most top defenseman take awhile to get to that point where they're playing at a high level every game. I think we've just been spoiled by that 2008 draft. Guys like Doughty, Pietrangelo, Myers and Karlsson have already become top defenseman. In reality, that doesn't happen very often. Shea Weber sure didn't become a top defenseman overnight. Nor did Duncan Keith. Hell, Zdeno Chara was drafted in 1996 and really only came into his own a few years after the lockout.

Ummm, he's big, he's skilled, but he doesn't use his size, doesn't hit much, and he's not good in his own end, he's average, and he is below average when defending the rush. He's also got a big shot but has absolutely no clue how to use it, or how to get it on net, or how to not to break his stick at crucial times.

Not hating him but he sure needs to do some work to turn that into a number # 1 defenceman. If he can get us a legitimate number one I would move him but as I've said before I'd rather get someone that's young, good, fast, and defensively reliable to partner Edler so he can bail him out when he makes mistakes and allow him to develop into that # 1 guy.

Archived