The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthew Beattie | LW/D

Grape

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up, Yale opens the NCAA tournament on Friday against Minnesota. Its unlikely Beattie will play though, he's barely gotten any playing time at all this season as a freshman, and was a healthy scratch throughout the ECAC playoffs. Hopefully he'll get more ice time and a regular roster spot next season.

after playing as little as he did this season i hope he has a good huff n puff league to play in this summer.. can't develope if you don't play!

• 2 weeks later...
Matt Beattie@UnBeatable_13

Bulldogs are going to the national championship!!!!

Yale beats UMass Lowell and will face Quinnipiac (who beat St Cloud) in the NCAA final.

NCAA Frozen Four: Andrew Miller’s OT goal leads Yale into title game

PITTSBURGH -- Yale senior forward and captain Andrew Miller sat in the NCAA Frozen Four semifinal postgame press conference wearing a gold Jofa helmet, a team award given out after games.

It could have been mistaken for a crown.

Not long before he sat on that stage in the bowels of CONSOL Energy Center, Miller was a king after scoring what head coach Keith Allain called, before what might occur Saturday night, the biggest goal in the history of Yale hockey during the Bulldogs' 3-2 overtime victory over UMass Lowell.

http://youtu.be/I2-nsXcfWqI

The winner of Quinnipiac/St. Cloud State awaits Yale on Saturday night in the national championship, their first such game in school history.

But Yale's championship dreams almost disappeared in the blink of an eye in the second period. Lowell quickly got out to a 2-0 lead after the opening period and thought they had stolen the momentum when Riley Wetmore and Joe Pendenza scored 14 seconds apart to tie the game.

Losing the lead in 14 seconds in the biggest game of your season could fluster some teams, but as Allain has preached all season long Yale didn't deviate from their gameplan.

"I've been involved in enough hockey games in my life where I've seen and been with teams that outplay other teams and for one reason or the other don't get the bounce," said Allain.

"I also believe that was the right approach for us, if we stuck with the plan the odds would favor our team breaking through, and that's what happened. Until you get the goal, you're always wondering when it's going to come."

Everything that had been successful for Lowell in the run up to the semifinal was falling flat against a resilient Yale team. The River Hawks were unable to establish a successful forecheck and attributed a poor skating game as one reason they couldn't grab momentum.

"We had no response," said Lowell head coach Norm Bazin. "It was one of those games, the magic wasn't there tonight."

"We've ended three or four teams' seasons in the last couple weeks. Unfortunately, it's our turn."

Yale followed their leader and they now have one game left in their season and in his college career. Allain has seen his captain grow into the leader he is today, so it was no surprise to see Miller play hero in Yale's biggest moment.

"Andrew has been a great player for us all four years," said Allain. "He's made a remarkable transformation into a leadership [role] this year, assuming the captaincy and the way he's done it by including the entire senior class. He just does a great job with our group, not just on the ice, but he monitors them off the ice.

"I can tell you, I couldn't ask for a better captain."

No idea what Beattie's been doing of late, as some have mentioned he hadn't been playing. I don't have a stat sheet for if he was playing or what.

Yale beats UMass Lowell and will face Quinnipiac (who beat St Cloud) in the NCAA final.

NCAA Frozen Four: Andrew Miller’s OT goal leads Yale into title game

No idea what Beattie's been doing of late, as some have mentioned he hadn't been playing. I don't have a stat sheet for if he was playing or what.

He didn't play against UMass, hasn't been playing for a while. My suspicion is that he's been a healthy scratch, since he's a freshman and Yale's rolling with their winning lineup. But I haven't seen any reports on him whatsoever to confirm this or whether he's been injured, I've searched a bunch and found nothing. Good to see Yale going to the championship game though!

He didn't play against UMass, hasn't been playing for a while. My suspicion is that he's been a healthy scratch, since he's a freshman and Yale's rolling with their winning lineup. But I haven't seen any reports on him whatsoever to confirm this or whether he's been injured, I've searched a bunch and found nothing. Good to see Yale going to the championship game though!

Yeah, very little info on anything other than the highlights at that level. We might know more if we lived in that area, but hard to get details on the other side of the continent.

Must be rough watching his teammates and friends battle it out and go to the finals from the press box. It's too bad that he hasn't gotten much ice time this season but he needs to get better, he should go work his ass off all summer and come back strong for his sophomore year.

It'd be nice to get a read on what's actually been happening with him. To know if it was injury that kept him out of the lineup or he was just a healthy scratch at least. His stats weren't exactly spectacular this year (15 games, no points, 8 PIMs, -2) so perhaps it was just sitting him for a better player since they do have a 25 man roster (22 skaters, 15 forwards). There were 3 other skaters with no points but he had twice as many games as the other two.

EDIT: Actually found a recent article at Hockey's Future on the college players from our 2012 draft class.

Matthew Beattie, LW, Yale Bulldogs (ECAC)

Drafted 7th round, 207th overall, 2012

The Yale University Bulldogs are currently on an amazing run. After they vanquished a couple of national powers in Minnesota and North Dakota at the West Regional, they won in overtime of their semi-final game at the Frozen Four to advance to the NCAA National Championship game. Yale's appearance in the semi-finals was their first in 61 years, and if they can win one more, the Bulldogs would be bringing home their first national title in school history. Unfortunately for Matt Beattie, it appears he will not be involved in their 2013 Frozen Four quest. While it is uncertain when he will play next for Yale, Beattie played 15 games for the Bulldogs this season, with no points, 8 penalty minutes, and a minus-two rating. Being a freshman, Beattie is most likely being brought along slowly, first and foremost because of the depth this team (eighth ranked team in the country) possesses. Beattie will hopefully see more ice time as he adapts to the quicker, tougher playing style.

The problem with college hockey, there's politics involved where seniors will automatically be given more time than younger players. Unless of course you're totally dominating.

That being said, there's a reason Beattie was drafted as a 7th rounder. His chances of playing professionally is relatively small, thus a prestigious college education will be a great "back up" plan.

The problem with college hockey, there's politics involved where seniors will automatically be given more time than younger players. Unless of course you're totally dominating.

That being said, there's a reason Beattie was drafted as a 7th rounder. His chances of playing professionally is relatively small, thus a prestigious college education will be a great "back up" plan.

That about sums it up. NCAA is a senior and juniors league and few...very few late draft picks make it to the NHL. Get your education and get on with life or maybe rty a couple of years of pro minor hockey. The guys young maybe time in Europe. Then get on with life, educated and enjoyed your time in the sun

well, beattie still gets to say he's a national champion, and he'll get a bigger role next year, since there are 6 seniors leaving the team (and half of them are forwards)

Hey who can tell maybe he'll shine next season, that would be great plus he has a shiny ring .... nothing wrong with that

Hey who can tell maybe he'll shine next season, that would be great plus he has a shiny ring .... nothing wrong with that

technically he doesn't get a ring (it violates the NCAA gifting rules), but when he graduates an anonymous "booster" will walk up to him and hand him a ring and walk away.

Archived