The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthew Beattie | LW/D

Grape

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I watched Yale v St. Lawrence game on Friday at the whale, Beattie appeared to be on the third line. He's definitely got a good frame, but he will need to fill out a bit.

He has good instincts for where the puck is going to be. He drew a couple of penalties by being a step ahead when the puck arrived, as well as getting a partial break-away. However, he looked a little bit slower and weaker than other players at times (not skating speed, but quickness). He must have had half a dozen SOG, but they were all relatively weak and right at the goalie. If he can get quick enough to get better quality shots off, or a bit stronger to make more room for himself in those situations, he will start to score. He also looked a bit afraid to make mistakes at times. The coach seemed to give him a bigger role as the game went on, even putting him on for the final minute of overtime.

glad to see he got a second goal already, even though it was an empty netter (shows the coach trusts him to put him out when the other team is pressing with their goalie pulled). I hope he keeps improving, i remember reading about him all the time when his team was playing Mcnally's team in their high school Prep League. it would be really cool if both of them made it.

• 1 month later...

Saw the Yale v Harvard game live at Yale tonight.

Beattie was unremarkable in the first two periods, but was a force in the third, where he got two assists (as far as I could tell) on Yale's two goals. On the first he took a pass at the offensive blue line, drove hard around (our prospect) Patrick McNally straight to the net, and a teammate popped in the rebound. On the second he cleared a puck up the boards and it bounced to Agostino who dangled in and scored.

Overall, he still looks weaker than other players despite his frame, but has a lot of potential. Of course, he is only a sophomore.

• 4 weeks later...

McNally and Beattie face off against each other again this saturday. it'll be broadcast nationally in the USA on the NBC Sports Network, starting at 5PM Pacific.

Beattie has 2G and 2A in 11 games, but has not suited up for the past 2 games.

Meanwhile, McNally has 1G and 6A in 8 games after missing the first 7 games of the season to retain his Sophomore status with the NCAA.

I'll be recording and watching it, uploading video of any plays of note from either player.

• 1 month later...

Archived