The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schultz

SpursCanuck

agreed about the draft picks not being very high but I wish we would still give the younger guys more of a shot earlier. This would of course mean that we draft talent that could make the jump as well. I do hope Jensen and Kassian get a real look next year as they certainly have the makeup to potentially make a nice long term impact. Schultz appears to be that type of player as well, I just hope we can sign him and not lose him because he would fear playing in Chicago for a year.

I think for the sake of argument that Vancouver is not really know for giving young players a lot of ice time early. Yes we have Burrows, Edler, Hansen and Schneider as our core of players developed under AV ( Tanev still not a regular) but over six years lets face it, it could be better. Kes, and Sedins were given ice time and a lot of it under Crow! How did that work out? Shultz looks to be a rare talent and I think most of us would love to do what it takes to get the kid in our system. He is not 18 and just drafted, but more of a sure thing then most at this age. I hope we don't lose a kid that obviously wants to play here for over paying another aging veteran with a very limited ceiling

Based on what we heard from GM MG today regarding Schultz, I'd be willing to bet my life on him coming here.

Why?

Reporter: Any updates on your meetings with Schultz?

MG: His agent and I have agreed to not discuss anything in public.

Read between the lines. If there hadn't been an arrangement yet, Schultz's agent wouldnt request for something like that. MG would have said something more like:

MG: We've met with Schultz in Toronto and had some very productive talks with his agent. He's a great young player and we're hoping that he sees that there's a fit for him here in Vancouver.

Anytime a GM is respecting a free agent player's request, it's usually cause they've gotten things wrapped up.

Archived