The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Schneider. What offer is too much to match?

nitti999

Of course, I'm also basing my opinion on the fact that I do not believe Gillis will say to Schneider that he's the starter while Luongo is still in the fold. If Gillis actually had this kind of dialogue with Schneider, then of course I believe Schneider would accept. That's the key, though. Has Schneider been officially given the starter's role? He took over for Luongo in the playoffs to help steer the team in the right direction and it still didn't work. Yet, everyone assumes that was the changing of the guard. Not that simple.

With or with out Luo on the team, this should not factor in on his decision. If he signs nothing can stop the Nuck from trading him anytime they want. And even if they give him NTC which I doubt, they could still force him out if Lack is better. (Proof Luongo could be traded).

He doesn't need to "climb all over Lu's corpse" to get the starting job. All he has to do is sit tight and wait for Luongo to be dealt, which is what I said is likely happening so I don't see what the debate is about. He WANTS the job, no doubt. But I also believe he does truly respect Luongo and what's to go about this process in a way that makes everyone happy. Is that so hard to believe or is being cynical easier?

If the Canucks trade his RIGHTS, he doesn't have to sign. In fact, he could still do whatever he wanted. Just like he is doing right now. I have no idea why you'd even type that last sentence.

If Cory was willing to sign with us regardless of whether not Luongo stays or goes, he likely would have done so already. Considering Pavelec just got $3.9/yr with his new deal, and he's at least played as a starter for 2-3 years, Schneider's deal will be lower. I'd say $3-3.5M as his stats at least are phenomenal despite his backup role.

There's a point where we pay too much, but in the short term we can afford that. That assumes we are moving some cap out, either Luongo, Ballard or someone similar, and that the offer sheet isn't along term deal. I'd consider compensation of two 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd, and take fours 1st and run, but don't forget the team offering has to have all those picks intact and all of their own versus someone else's.

Only so many teams have both the cap space to make such a deal if accepted and the compensation required for us not to match. Add to that the view of offer sheets is pretty poor and opens you up to the same in return (a la Bernier and Backes when Gillis took over), not to mention they have almost never worked, and it's pretty unlikely someone will go that route.

There's also the possibility that Gillis is the one holding out. It still makes much more sense that Schneider is the one waiting for something to happen with Luongo, but by the same token Gillis does not want to have two big goalie contracts on his hands.

In a nutshell, this is exactly the type of situation in which everything just has to fall into place at the same time. As I've already said, I would not be surprised in the least if Gillis, Schneider and his agent have the framework of an extension in place and they're just waiting for the Luongo situation to be taken care of before they proceed.

I can't believe so many people would let him walk for anything over $4.5 million... lol If Gillis lets him walk for anything less than $5 million, I would be very disappointed in him... I would say match anything unless what we get back at least a 1st, 2nd and 3rd back from a team that is likely to end up with a top 10 pick.... I guess it really depends on who made the offer... If one of the bottom dwelling teams is dumb enough to offer sheet him, then take their (1st & 3rd) or (1st, 2nd, & 3rd depending on the amount) and run...

If it is one of the mid pack teams or contenders, then match anything unless we get two 1st and their 2nd (yes, we will have to dish out $6,268,175 or more, but it will likely be for only a year or two... Our capologist rocks.. He should have no problem working around that.. If we let him walk for a bunch of valuable picks, then the hard part of getting Luongo back on board begins...

Let's say a team (Columbus, Tampa, Florida, Toronto, or Edmonton) who has the cap space and money offers Schneids $5.5 mill for one year. Assuming Luongo hasn't been moved yet.

If you're Schneider, would you sign it? (Since many people think that Schneids would never sign an offer sheet because he is so loyal to the Canucks.) That's a helluva lot of $$ to turn down, probably close to what he'd make in 2 years on a 3-4 year contract with Canucks. After 1 year, he'd be a UFA and can cash in again (assuming he has a stellar year as starter).

If you're Gillis, what would you do, your move. This is the nightmare that could happen in a week.

I think Schned would sign it and that's what I would tell him if I was his agent. Loyalty is one thing but you got to factor in what's best for yourself.

Let's say a team (Columbus, Tampa, Florida, Toronto, or Edmonton) who has the cap space and money offers Schneids $5.5 mill for one year. Assuming Luongo hasn't been moved yet.

If you're Schneider, would you sign it? (Since many people think that Schneids would never sign an offer sheet because he is so loyal to the Canucks.) That's a helluva lot of $$ to turn down, probably close to what he'd make in 2 years on a 3-4 year contract with Canucks. After 1 year, he'd be a UFA and can cash in again (assuming he has a stellar year as starter).

If you're Gillis, what would you do, your move. This is the nightmare that could happen in a week.

I think Schned would sign it and that's what I would tell him if I was his agent. Loyalty is one thing but you got to factor in what's best for yourself.

People still don't seem to grasp this concept. Schneider would not be turning down offer sheets due to loyalty to the Canucks. He would likely turn down offer sheets because he knows the Canucks would match it and he doesn't want to be locked in with the Canucks while Luongo is still in the fold. That is why I'm pretty sure that Schneider will be content to sign a one year deal with the Canucks, which will take him to unrestricted free agency next summer. If Luongo is dealt soon, though, then in all likelihood Schneider will be winning to sign with the Canucks long term.

Archived