The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Schneider. What offer is too much to match?

nitti999

That's a heck of a gamble. A 1 year contract? Then he could sign with any team he wanted next year and we would have no Goalie. The only way Gillis would sign him and trade Lu is if it was 5 year contract. Letting Luo go scares me.

With Luongo still in the fold that is all Schneider will sign for, is what I was saying. Gillis will have no choice unless he decides to just trade Schneider. This all changes if Gillis can get a Luongo trade done. Then I'm presuming that Schneider will sign a multi-year extension and everyone can finally be on their merry way.

I think the 2 first rounders, 2nd and 3rd is where I would probably let him go. His cap hit would be higher than Luongo's for, quite frankly, negligable difference in ability right now. Keep in mind that the next draft is touted as being incredibly deep.

Not worried about the money, but I would hate for a team to make a long term offer on Cory.

For my money, I think Gillis waits for someone to offer sheet Cory, matches it and then proclaims that he has been put in a tough situation, he has one goalie who is untradeable and another with a NTC, so he states that he will wait until next summer to look at moving a goaltender when he is in a position of strength rather than weakness. He then shops Luongo throughout the year, always using the excuse that he is handcuffed right now so if someone wants Lu they better pay a lot. Then he sees if anyone bites on Luongo for a big return.

I like your optimism, I still think its a big gamble.

If they sign him to a 1 year deal and trade Lu and he has a great season. 25 other teams will be on the hunt to get him the following season and offer stupidly high contracts.

I don't know man, people are making this out to sound like we should do/pay anything to keep him. He has not even played a full season as a starter.

This whole thing is very scary.

It's not optimism. What I'm tying to get at is that signing Schneider to a 1 year deal is the ONLY option, unless Luongo is in fact traded. Schneider won't sign for longer than that while Luongo is still around, unless he and his agent have absolute faith that Gillis will eventually get a Luongo trade done.

I'm not trying to be rude but I'm failing to see why this is difficult to grasp. You're right in that this whole situation in general is a scary one, though. The key to everything working out fine, I believe, is just getting Luongo dealt ASAP. That way, both Gillis and Schneider can relax and starting talking about a multi-year extension, as Schneider would be pronounced the starter of the Vancouver Canucks. Now, if Luongo is traded and Schneider STILL wants to sign a one year extension, then I would be scared.

No offence taken. I understand what your saying. I kind of feel your not seeing my point.

When the 1 year contract is done, he becomes an UFA. Then there is no guarantee we will sign him. Teams will likely offer him big contracts (if he performs well as a starter), Canucks get nothing if he signs with another team.

Archived