The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Our 2nd Actually be Our 3rd Line?.............

I think we need to make an upgrade in quality to lift a Cup.

As I have said often we have a fine set of players but I think we lack variation. I would like to see us trade away Higgins, Hansen, Malhotra and Booth and create a BIG rugged 2nd line of bruisers and snipers.

The team would then be along the lines of

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Kane(Clowe) - Perry(Arnott) - Backes(Stewart)

Raymond - Kesler - Burrows

Volpatti - Lapierre - Pinizzotto

I would then trade Edler for a big defensive reasonably priced body like Weber if maybe not actually Weber (considering cap)

Ballard - Weber..................Hamhuis - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Bieksa...............Ballard - Erik Johnson

Sbisa - Tanev.....................Sbisa - Tanev

Part of our problem as I see it is we have relied on (augmented by the Sedins) defensive scoring, PP and outstanding net-minding to get us to where we are but I don't think that set up (in the way we utilise it, with average body size) will take us through a war of attrition.

It might sound radical, but I want to make our defence help out the goalie and our attack waste the opposition 5 on 5 with a mixture of skill, speed and big hitting. That line up has it all depending on how well Kassian improves and Raymond comes out of pre season.

I see a team along these lines getting multiple cups. The 2nd line for me was the most disappointing in the team.........some of that can be put down to injury but in my view they were not big enough and did not play a cohesive, joined up game. Frankly I doubt it will improve with the personnel concerned. That said I have more faith in Kesler's big time ability than Booth's

Now, how do we do it? Can we do it for less?

Perry, Weber, Kane, Backes and only giving up basically Edler from the top 6 forwards/top 4 D? That's almost 24M in cap space coming in with Weber and Perry due pretty huge raises in the next couple of years.

If any GM could pull that off they should just fly to Toronto, walk into the HHOF and pose for their plaque!

Probably impossible but I agree 100% with the sentiment. We are going exactly no where being that we have a team with 2 superstars on the first line and then we have 10 3rd liners. Without adding something up front it's going to be a long boring year. At least if we get rid of all the depth and get a couple top notch players at least AV will have an excuse for riding them to death.

I've eased it up a bit with Erik Johnson and some cheaper forward alternatives.

However basically I think the theory of what I'm suggesting could make all the difference and work

By the way for the guys doing the mocking, I'm not stupid I did say can we do it for less at the end. I was putting forward a theory and how to tackle it. I was basically looking for the theory to be fine tuned in a more affordable way. As you can see I have offered alternatives now myself but there comes a time when the alternative while giving the push back fails to provide the game changing goals so maybe it's Perry with the more affordable wingers etc.

Also I realise we may have to give a bit more.......say in picks or prospects but I feel we need to do now what we should have done last year.............that way we would have addressed the size/pushback issue while keeping up the momentum.

If Kesler can come back to his 2010-2011 form I think he would be good on the second line. Also the same for Booth if he can start producing more consistently. While the OP has a good theory, that lineup is pretty much impossible to achieve I think we should wait a bit longer till next season and to see how Kesler and Booth work. If we can acquire a playmaker for that second line, I think they would do well.

If Kesler can come back to his 2010-2011 form I think he would be good on the second line. Also the same for Booth if he can start producing more consistently. While the OP has a good theory, that lineup is pretty much impossible to achieve I think we should wait a bit longer till next season and to see how Kesler and Booth work. If we can acquire a playmaker for that second line, I think they would do well.

Archived